• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Two 'new' ROSSA vehicles - gearing help needed please!

Carpmart

For both these two cars a Zen racing GT12 and an X-ray 2008 rubber edition, I need to modify the gearing for speed runs.  I want to run Mod 1 gears on both, but need to find a way of replacing the existing spur gears with smaller mod 1 spurs... appreciate advice from the collective please!  @.AJ., this was the question I had for you last Sunday mate..

overall chassis shots

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

How many holes is the spur gear attached by and whats the diameter between the mounting holes? I think its 6 on the T3?

best option would be a blank and using the stock spur and a pillar drill to get the hole in the right place for either car?

Steel spurs Mod 1, appear to be black and 10mm thickness which maybe a little thick, im just not sure what the bore would be? Cant remember if the bearing sits in it ona T3?

https://www.rargears.com/gears/search/subcategory/steel-hubless-spur-gears?output=simple&module=1

Losi spurs seem the 'blankest' if your re drill?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/car-and-truck-accessory/all-surface-parts/40t-spur-gear--mod-1:-ten-scte-losb3436

Edited by Guns

7 minutes ago, Carpmart said:

@GunsThe spur on the X-ray is attached by three bolts and it's approximately 13mm bolt centre to bolt centre.  No idea on the GT12, I will need to strip it to work it out...

Ive edited my post now, I remember them having 6 holes, mounted by three, just cant think if the centre hole fits onto a hub/bearing?

what sorta size you looking at? Speed run so sub 50t?

32 minutes ago, Carpmart said:

Realistically @Guns as small as I can reasonably get, gives me easy choices with pinion then.  Imagine I'm trying to get to one-2-one gearing! ;) 

I expected that, the highest you can go stock is 51t/90t but thats 64 pitch, and no where near tall enough.

RW do a lot of custom work? Id imagine they could do a blank which you could drill out?

Edited by Guns

What cell counts are you going to be running?

32dp is usually fine for up to 4s, so that will easy for the Zen. Either that or just run a solid shaft and bore out a mod 1 pinion to use as a spool

For the xray, i got RW racing ages ago to make me a super hardened steel 55t (48dp) spur when i ran a xray and it has been awesome (was expensive tho)

He also made me some massive 45t, 50t and 55t super hard pinions to use.

Im not running 1/10th anymore so i MAY be willing to sell them.

PM me if interested.

Edited by pieman5