• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

I have dug my old outlaw out of the shed so my son can use it as a trail truck in the woods.I have done the battery mod and bought a hobbywing 1060 esc for it.Opened the diffs up to clean and re grease and then hopefully it's good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 15:00, martin34 said:

I have dug my old outlaw out of the shed so my son can use it as a trail truck in the woods.I have done the battery mod and bought a hobbywing 1060 esc for it.Opened the diffs up to clean and re grease and then hopefully it's good to go.

have you took it out yet?

i have read that the handling is very poor.

i am thinkng about getting this new and just wondered whats the first thing i need to do to it before taking it out?

Edited by froggy8

They are a great trail truck just not geared for the job and the motors suffer, they also make decentish crawlers / rock bouncer aslong as you have your expectations set right.
To buy with an new outlaw would be a steel pinion as it comes with brass butter and a hardened acetel (rw) spur. Other than that back the body if you like it as they are brittle.
Also worth invest in an alloy chassis as the stock ones have weak corners where the trailing arms attach are prone to snapping on the lightest roll or do the metal plate mod.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Redback said:

They are a great trail truck just not geared for the job and the motors suffer, they also make decentish crawlers / rock bouncer aslong as you have your expectations set right.
To buy with an new outlaw would be a steel pinion as it comes with brass butter and a hardened acetel (rw) spur. Other than that back the body if you like it as they are brittle.
Also worth invest in an alloy chassis as the stock ones have weak corners where the trailing arms attach are prone to snapping on the lightest roll or do the metal plate mod.

many thanks for that mate 🙂 

No I haven't ran it how it is yet in its current form.Its not a basher as mentioned above but when I used to use it it was OK but this is for my son now as a trail truck.I have done the battery position mod and just waiting for a radio to turn up.It has the carbon chassis,fro t sway bar,alloy trailing arns,trailing arm mounts,front hinge pin holders,ackerman plate and alloy rear chassis braces oh and badland tyres.A Park near me has massive  mud hills that are great for rock bouncing up so hopefully it will be good for that.

20220214_053146.jpg

• Like 1

I ran it quite a lot before it got put in the shed and the motor was always OK.That was on nimh and a 2s lipo.Maybe I got lucky.The stock motors are cheap tho so that's not a problem and knowing my boy he will want to get back to his xbox before the motor has a chance to get warm😪

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. New(ish) Outlaw owner here. Really enjoying the car. Has a good turn of speed and is great on loose surfaces/gravel. Had to change the look of it though - didn't like the stock body colours. My first attempt at painting a shell and I'm quite please 

IMG_4831.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, diamond dog said:

Hi. New(ish) Outlaw owner here. Really enjoying the car. Has a good turn of speed and is great on loose surfaces/gravel. Had to change the look of it though - didn't like the stock body colours. My first attempt at painting a shell and I'm quite please 

IMG_4831.jpeg

Really nice job love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning,

Newish owners here, I fix and son drives. We are gradually upgrading the plastic to metal parts bit by bit.

We keep losing the rear drive parts. Plastic or metal they keep falling apart or coming of.

Any top tips to make the car work longer than the battery each time we go out? Surprisingly it seemed to work reasonably well with only front wheel drive.

E6F8227D-A777-4DA8-B187-822C783484AF.jpeg

644654A6-BE57-4B2F-A552-601BC89E0799.jpeg

I fitted a metal version and used lots of lock tight!  Still there.

Used blue loctite on the grub screws and and even shrink wrapped the two parts together of the metal version ( Pictured above) but its the big pin part thats broken on the plastic and the metal version. 

I gave up with the ftx drive shafts & fettled a traxxas summit one to fit. No problems since 😊

Was this an easyish bodge?

8 hours ago, Alba23 said:

Morning,

Newish owners here, I fix and son drives. We are gradually upgrading the plastic to metal parts bit by bit.

We keep losing the rear drive parts. Plastic or metal they keep falling apart or coming of.

Any top tips to make the car work longer than the battery each time we go out? Surprisingly it seemed to work reasonably well with only front wheel drive.

E6F8227D-A777-4DA8-B187-822C783484AF.jpeg

644654A6-BE57-4B2F-A552-601BC89E0799.jpeg

Wow, where is that place?

It looks like fun

1st that track looks fantastic  I wish we had a place like that . 

An 2an as said above   metal one an use lockite  as iv had it on mine for ages an no problems . .

On 17/03/2022 at 00:30, Iain .R said:

1st that track looks fantastic  I wish we had a place like that . 

An 2an as said above   metal one an use lockite  as iv had it on mine for ages an no problems . .

Track is ace, bmx or rc car. BMX is perfect for the 11-50 year age group as one size fits all 😃 we stop the car when the scooters turn up.

Fitted this new one, not an FTX branded one but only 14.99. Fitting is nothing like the previous metal one. Long screws that go through the holes. And loctite 😃

00F2E916-A590-4CB3-B971-358BB3BB8681.jpeg

782C5152-3C7B-43E4-8D43-FEABABA21445.jpeg

• Like 1

Well I had my 1st major crashbash today an snapped my carbon fiber chassis   yep  that's right .

Arrived at a large carpark (mrs work place )   right down the bottom of the car park is where the security an gardeners dump all the old wood chip. dead grass .bits of trees  so on  lots an lot of gravel .moss . Dirt  an fantastic pile of wood chip that just right for high jumps on to the grass    oooo did I mention  trees  yea pile a dead grass some wood chip and a tree trunk  only a small 2 or 3 ft   so landed the outlaw flat on to it snapped the chassis at the back where the trailing arms connect to the chassis.   So need a new chassis. 

So do I buy the standard outlaw chassis or new zorro chassis  an use my spares.to swap it all to zorro . ?????