• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Great to have found this forum and thanks to walkbythesea for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

Recently got a Zorro having started on a 1/18 truggy with my son who loves RCs.  I've also managed to get some friends into it and now we have three FTXs (Zorro, Carnage, Vantage) and a Traxxas Slash between us.

My son quickly got through 3 of the stock brushed Zorro motors!  I'm in the process of upgrading to brushless with a small false start through getting a motor with too high a kv rating.  I'm sure the mods will continue once the motor is sorted...

IMG_6741.thumb.jpg.bfb707fa77250029550a7ad417765822.jpg 

Edited by rawbhp
  • Like 3

Welcome! :good:

Yeah, you'll find some great advice on this forum. Walkbythesea is spot-on, a lower Kv motor will sort you out. The juddering you experienced is called cogging; almost all sensorless brushless systems suffer from it, but the better the system, the less it tends to cog. Higher torque helps, also. My 3500Kv Outlaw cogs a little, but not enough to ruin the experience and if you simply floor it, it goes!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Don’t always get it right - fitted a brand new complete front gearbox, fresh from the factory - didn’t even cross my mind to check it….  🤦‍♂️

IMG_6443.MOV

What happened..........not in the words of kev .  Lol 

You need way better foams to prevent the sidewall roll, the beadlocks should hold better than that, they hold my non outlaw tires better than that atleast.
Id be looking at closed cell / much stiffer foams if your racing should help hold the tire on and not let it roll off, wont solve the pizza cutting effect, that will still cause beads to fail.
Although my axial beadlocks have never de beaded, they just dont fit, just cant win.
Wonder if the offical ftx metal beadlocks work better? they cost the most....

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

OK, we’re now struggling with cornering G forces…

97E36B2C-90EB-4164-A586-C7E2C151051B.jpeg

I just glued some carnage tyres on with professional glue and wow does it stick or does it stick . I put the carnage wheels on the outlaw  it helped to stop it from tipping by about 10 to 20% so can turn a bit quicker now   but still flips.   Only prob is ground clearance   iv notice the back axle diff is scratched a lot now  . So not sure how thick/strong that plastic is before it cracks/false apart   .

Bit of a pain need it lower but also need it higher .  

4 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

I just glued some carnage tyres on with professional glue and wow does it stick or does it stick . I put the carnage wheels on the outlaw  it helped to stop it from tipping by about 10 to 20% so can turn a bit quicker now   but still flips.   Only prob is ground clearance   iv notice the back axle diff is scratched a lot now  . So not sure how thick/strong that plastic is before it cracks/false apart   .

Bit of a pain need it lower but also need it higher .  

Have you lowered the battery yet?  That will make the biggest difference. 

Fitted sway bars yet?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Have you lowered the battery yet?  That will make the biggest difference. 

Fitted sway bars yet?

Yes that's was a 1st . I moved my battery forwards . As I got fat fingers and I struggled to fit the battery where it was original. So moving was a must anyway . 

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Yes that's was a 1st . I moved my battery forwards . As I got fat fingers and I struggled to fit the battery where it was original. So moving was a must anyway . 

Post a pic of how you have it setup at present

5 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

36083B22-7C89-419B-947D-E8EA8604985D.thumb.jpeg.4802689ae96909c4359785be53f659bb.jpeg

Personally I found that putting it sideways on top of the gear case got the weight even lower and further forward - it added a lot of stability

Hi   I tried that but I couldn't undo the two screws to take the top chassis plate off   when needed to do any work on it   how did you fit it ... 

As I just (planed ) to put two long screws with lock nuts thro the  battery tray in to the chassis plate . 

As if I went forward so I could see the screws outlaw body was hitting the fan on top 

Edited by Iain .R