• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

1 minute ago, enduroexpert said:

Did you order those straight off the RW site....?

....these....?

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

I'm already stripping the ESC from my Outlaw as the performance in the woods up & over dry hard packed earth and dry leaves is terrible, tried a few different quality Nimh battery sticks, all the same result.

I'll try 2s Lipo's next and I have a spare 60A Brushless Combo I can also try out, but the motor has a 5mm diameter output shaft, so what you have there should hopefully do the trick....

Cheers

That’s the badger 👍

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Redback said:

5mm pinions now we are talking. Lower kv for this truck will be better due to the gearing. Hope the 3660 fits for you if so you might have a revolution on your hands.

So you don’t lose top end speed with lower kv ?

Is the Max10 SCT 3200kv combo the best likely fit for now?  I need to run 2s as I don’t have any 3s batteries.

I got cogging with a  3680 2000kv motor on the 4s hobbywing on this truck with my modified stock transmission gearing. I dont know if theres anyway besides a sensored system to improve your cars performance.
The 3300kv on the sct esc on 2s 30c+ battery, low punch power setting, should be pretty smooth i would imagine. Run a fan anyway as you race it puts more stress on the motor and a cooler motor is more efficient.

Edited by Redback
  • Thanks 1

I think I am working towards owning sensored systems in the future as I’m starting to appreciate the theory, though I’ve never driven one, but right now it’s a big expense that I can’t quite justify in this…

…maybe next week 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, walkbythesea said:

I think I am working towards owning sensored systems in the future as I’m starting to appreciate the theory, though I’ve never driven one, but right now it’s a big expense that I can’t quite justify in this…

…maybe next week 😂

Its night and day and you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner. I think most racers use sensored systems for the control.
Im now considering going back to the stock transmission to see how it will runs as have a nice sensored motor that might squeeze in that will work nicely with those 5mm pinions.
It's a 2700kv sensored castle system and currently running my custom transmission, its a torque monster and not slow!
When you race are you limited to tire size etc... or is it just for fun?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redback said:

Its night and day and you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner. I think most racers use sensored systems for the control.
Im now considering going back to the stock transmission to see how it will runs as have a nice sensored motor that might squeeze in that will work nicely with those 5mm pinions.
It's a 2700kv sensored castle system and currently running my custom transmission, its a torque monster and not slow!
When you race are you limited to tire size etc... or is it just for fun?

Just for fun at present, a gang of us from work. 

I really enjoy the Outlaw platform and love seeing how much I can get out of it. 

Edited by walkbythesea

So the motor shaft didn’t fit into the gearbox but there was space at the front so I fitted a 2mm polycarbonate spacer, I like the wider helicopter pinion as I feel it supports the spur teeth better across their whole width, it all fits and big hand says it’s time to rock and roll

🤘😎

4E841047-C4A4-4299-8D4B-C05BDBF1F976.jpeg

938B7F3C-5E18-4DE0-B3D3-54CFDCADA91A.jpeg

31DBBAC0-D857-4624-82CB-1C2323CC1656.jpeg

1831BEB1-1C02-428E-BC9D-B8383909DB08.jpeg

0B61423F-B85F-413C-833A-0118C85AE9B2.jpeg

CEC9C94E-5709-45B2-A501-FC65C66193A8.jpeg

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

There’s an awful lot of nothing in the back of my Outlaw 😂

Just look at the size of that XT90 🤣

36083B22-7C89-419B-947D-E8EA8604985D.jpeg

Looks good with the hobbywing sct combo in it and it fits, Have you run it jet?, I like to hear how it goes and if the temps are better then the max10 combo

48 minutes ago, No brains said:

Looks good with the hobbywing sct combo in it and it fits, Have you run it jet?, I like to hear how it goes and if the temps are better then the max10 combo

Just run it now - wow, just wow!

So much more drivable - good low speed start up and control, no hint of cogging at all, this car has never had any sort of low speed control before. 

It’s a torque monster - driving feel is so much improved, rolling pickup is instant and feel through the curves is much improved. 

I didn’t have access to my full straight this morning because of puddles, but still had 37mph out of it - definitely had more in it, and I was also being timid because of the new power!

Am now able to exceed my handling mods again, it will roll again under high speed cornering as the speeds are higher over the same course. 

It runs really cool. 

Run time is extended, with the same battery over the same course I had considerably more runtime. 

It’s like running a big block V8 compared to a smaller high revving engine - it’s under no stress and just gets the job done - it’s so composed. 

Feels like the motor it was made to have, it’s a better truck all round. 

Now….    What about 4s….    🤔

• Like 3

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

So much more drivable - good low speed start up and control, no hint of cogging at all, this car has never had any sort of low speed control before. 

It’s a torque monster - driving feel is so much improved, rolling pickup is instant and feel through the curves is much improved. 

I didn’t have access to my full straight this morning because of puddles, but still had 37mph out of it - definitely had more in it, and I was also being timid because of the new power!

Am now able to exceed my handling mods again, it will roll again under high speed cornering as the speeds are higher over the same course. 

It runs really cool. 

Run time is extended, with the same battery over the same course I had considerably more runtime. 

It’s like running a big block V8 compared to a smaller high revving engine - it’s under no stress and just gets the job done - it’s so composed. 

I'd bought the 4600Kv version to mate up to a third party gearbox but now I'm tempted to slot it straight in and we what happens breaks first.

I really need to switch to LiPo first though...

9 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

It runs really cool. 

Good to here that it has worked out for you and that it is much better as the max 10,  what  I allready said the 3652 can motors are just to smal for a car that big and with that weight, today I testdrive my rustler 4x4 with an 3665 can in it instead of 3652 can and it is a beast now a lot of torque and better temps.

Edited by No brains
  • Like 1