• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Another transmission test for the outlaw, this ones a homebrew mod1 full steel so should be pretty bullet proof.
Allows use of the big sensored motor i had no use for, should be pretty nippy, hope it still crawls well.IMG_20210518_022857.thumb.jpg.c431440cce76b13aa6f37b1bc32addc6.jpg

Wont bore with the details here, will update the high torque thread, just noting it also allows use of new driveshafts 😀

• Like 1

Yours m8   as I'm getting bit fed up footage on the outlaw   lol . Iv got zorro wheels on mine and its 90%better but still flips and the speed your doing is flip speed on turn     lol 

These wheels:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/246376/

With stock Outlaw tyres and improved foams donated from an FTX Ravine, not perfect the foams could do with being wider. 

Carnage front sway bar:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-sway-bar-sets-fr-rr-carnage-365932

The real difference comes from the Wraith pattern rear sway bar:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Sway-Bar-Stabilizer-Mount-For-RC-Axial-Wraith-90026-90048-90050-YETI-RR10-/174689894149?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

67C8C858-2DC7-4E0F-BE59-7A2C2DA93F8A.thumb.jpeg.33a3ba27495c9f8ae9c6adccf305f033.jpeg

Also moving my battery lower, forward and transverse…

41A695AF-0086-4C00-809F-82BE4BF55B4A.thumb.jpeg.44c8fb497b5d6c45e2101b66c7989e96.jpeg

…that’s an old picture though, I’ve got an alloy chassis now. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

First of all, what a fantastic thread! The  information, advice and tips I have gained from reading it have been invaluable.

I've taken the plunge and decided to buy an Outlaw as my first ever RC Car! I'm in the process of putting together an upgrade list and I'm looking for some advice on which servo to upgrade to..

Would a 17kg servo be okay once I upgrade to Brushless or is that too much/too little?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

5 minutes ago, WHill said:

Would a 17kg servo be okay once I upgrade to Brushless or is that too much/too little?

That would be great - the stock servo is a measly 3kg plastic geared nonsense, I happen to run a 25kg monster but only because I bought a job lot for cheaps. 

Metal gears would be the thing to look out for. 

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

That would be great - the stock servo is a measly 3kg plastic geared nonsense, I happen to run a 25kg monster but only because I bought a job lot for cheaps. 

Thanks for your help! 👍

Hi 

16 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

These wheels:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/246376/

With stock Outlaw tyres and improved foams donated from an FTX Ravine, not perfect the foams could do with being wider. 

Carnage front sway bar:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-sway-bar-sets-fr-rr-carnage-365932

The real difference comes from the Wraith pattern rear sway bar:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Sway-Bar-Stabilizer-Mount-For-RC-Axial-Wraith-90026-90048-90050-YETI-RR10-/174689894149?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

67C8C858-2DC7-4E0F-BE59-7A2C2DA93F8A.thumb.jpeg.33a3ba27495c9f8ae9c6adccf305f033.jpeg

Also moving my battery lower, forward and transverse…

41A695AF-0086-4C00-809F-82BE4BF55B4A.thumb.jpeg.44c8fb497b5d6c45e2101b66c7989e96.jpeg

…that’s an old picture though, I’ve got an alloy chassis now. 

Hi m8 thanks for the info   . I changed the back lay out on my outlaw   I removed the big long shocks and the sway bars  and put on  some front carnage shocks which fits perfect and looks better too . 

But iv kept the item in my watch list if I change my mind   

As for the tyre/wheels .  

What is beadlock how do they work as says no glue needed .  

the wheels are in 3 parts an inner part that goes inside the tyre then a front and back of the wheel which screw together trapping the tyre bead between the 3 parts 

Thanks mmmm like the sound that as iv just redone my zorro wheels and mmmm not to keep on the finish look I think the glue wont hold . 

What.was wrong with your inserts   have you tried the pipe insulation or hair buns    

12 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Are all servos the same size and pretty much 'plug and play'?

I wish considering buying this which has metal gears:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001530980323.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.11b8781cmanLYB&browser_id=3d80e1f597554194995dfd501dd925ac&aff_trace_key=586bf58d140847d4a58fade52a9c4e74-1621591268958-06972-_d6Zz24x&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=179a2cb4d44973bac611d6c6b2d5c5ea789d22b4ac&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com%2Fkf%2FH636d063d527b4a1d9c42a00f1639209dB.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

Edited by WHill

25 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

These are the servos I use: 

https://banggood.app.link/XHNd4ZpJqfb

They are a little larger than stock so read the discussions about fitting them on pages 111 onwards, click below:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I think I'll just buy the alloy chassis and fit the new servo to that instead of butchering the current plastic chassis. It feels far too flimsy anyway!

Am I correct in thinking that the alloy chassis is completely flat so won't require any modifications to fit a larger servo?

Thanks again. 😀

10 minutes ago, WHill said:

Am I correct in thinking that the alloy chassis is completely flat so won't require any modifications to fit a larger servo?

That is correct, you may just need to shim the servo slightly forward off the posts with washers to avoid the back rubbing on the centre driveshaft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

That is correct, you may just need to shim the servo slightly forward off the posts with washers to avoid the back rubbing on the centre driveshaft. 

Yeah or just sand off a bit of material off of the back of the servo like I did lol 🙂

• Haha 1

This will sound like a very stupid question to most people, but where the hell am I supposed to put the antenna wire that connects to the receiver?!

When I first purchased the Outlaw, I read the instructions and it stated that the wire should go through the hole in the top of the receiver box, the plastic tube should go over the wire and then the tube should be fitted into that same hole..

Well, when I took the shell/body off to do this, the wire was already coming out of a small slot in the bottom of the receiver box, and this looks like the most logical place that it should come out of because the receiver won't fit in any other way..

To cut a long story short, I snapped the receiver antennae wire trying to bend it back on itself through the small slot in the bottom of the receiver box, and then thread it back through the hole in the top (as it states in the instruction manual). I ordered a new one and I don't want to have to make the same mistake again!

What am I missing here?!

The first picture is the small slot in which the wire threaded through out of the box..

The second picture is the hole which the wire is suppose to go through (according to the instruction manual)..

I hope my question is clear?

IMG_20210525_210558340.jpg

IMG_20210525_210745010.jpg

Edited by WHill

I ditched the box entirely and have my receiver zip tied in a balloon for waterproofing - I do have the antenna wire vertical in a short tube zip tied to the frame as I found radio range was limited where I use the car if the antenna wasn’t upright

Thanks guys. So it's not absolutely essential that the aerial be visible out of the shell? I assumed it had to be within line of sight of the transmitter.

Edited by WHill

44 minutes ago, WHill said:

Thanks guys. So it's not absolutely essential that the aerial be visible out of the shell? I assumed it had to be within line of sight of the transmitter.

Not at all, but if you’re operating at range it is beneficial if it has a vertical element, but really only an inch or two is needed and it’s fine if it’s inside the shell

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Not at all, but if you’re operating at range it is beneficial if it has a vertical element, but really only an inch or two is needed and it’s fine if it’s inside the shell

Well, you learn something new everyday! 

Ok guys . My mrs just asked if I want to change the motor on my wedding prezzie for dads day .  

So the hobbywing set up ok for the outlaw  as I'm just wondering will I be spending all my time  putting it back on its wheels .as its rolls like mad now ( if done no upgraded to this one yet (been busy with the other cars )  

So i know you guys have put hobbywing in yours  so do you spend a lot of time putting it back on its wheels . ( I will be getting  a sway bar set for this and sorting it  like the other outlaw  but that dont have a hobbywing brusless set up just a cheap brusless set up ) . 

So what you say guys .and what other upgrades do I need to put on my outlaw .   Cheers