• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

8 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

You're very welcomeemoji106.png
I'd grab a drive shaft if i were you though, it's a matter of time!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've it a few RC's now and when it comes to The FTX I just upgrade bits as it goes wrong so I'll wait for the catastrophic failure as the shaft explodes probably in the skate park lol.

On 16/09/2018 at 14:50, Buck said:

20180916_143021.thumb.jpg.439130e3ffdb1a6b235bdf562b117297.jpgEr, upgraded a load to Outlaw....

Now it's bollocksed

What's up with it?

give ya 50 boys, rolling chassis for it?

as for mine I'm thinking getting a Vetta Karoo body shell, short course wheels and the Karoo front bumper and making it a short course/ desert truck.

Edited by Coxxy

1 hour ago, chewbacca said:

I can't help thinking that FTX should rename this "The Triggers Broom" as very few of them seem to remain as standard!

Triggers broom was useful “crap” would be closer to the mark......

• Haha 1

I've had mine since December 2016, and the only thing to be replaced is the ESC which Modelsport did within the first couple of weeks.

Apart from that it's stock and still going strong on 2S, with just the bodywork a bit scarred!

I think a lot of it is more to do with peoples mindset that "it's cheap so I'll drive it like an idiot", after of course sticking the fastest motor in it they can.

Also how many bog standard Yetis are out there for instance, from the threads on here it would appear they get upgraded just as much .... and at nearly twice the starting price I know which strikes me as better value. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Also how many bog standard Yetis are out there for instance, from the threads on here it would appear they get upgraded just as much .... and at nearly twice the starting price I know which strikes me as better value. 

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again.

”each to their own” :good:

even a guy at at my local hobby shop told me not to waste my money on one. But I’m not getting into any kind of debates about how good ftx are or not though. I’ll stick to doing the hobby my way, served me well for the past decade. :good:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz! said:

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again.

”each to their own” :good:

even a guy at at my local hobby shop told me not to waste my money on one. But I’m not getting into any kind of debates about how good ftx are or not though. I’ll stick to doing the hobby my way, served me well for the past decade. :good:

Indeed each to their own, but posting that something is "crap" is hardly a live and let live attitude is it. ? 

1 hour ago, Geehawk said:

Indeed each to their own, but posting that something is "crap" is hardly a live and let live attitude is it. ? 

Maybe, maybe not but you never know it may help someone before buying in the future.

i think a lot of folk are too ashamed to admit they bought second rate Rc or had the privilege of owning a higher quality variant.

everyone is entitled to a opinion, that includes me too chap :whistling:

anyway back to the ftx parts catalogue.....

14 minutes ago, Gaz! said:

Maybe, maybe not but you never know it may help someone before buying in the future.

i think a lot of folk are too ashamed to admit they bought second rate Rc or had the privilege of owning a higher quality variant.

everyone is entitled to a opinion, that includes me too chap :whistling:

anyway back to the ftx parts catalogue.....

I think a lot of folk are elitist, arrogant and condescending. As you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Oh, just wondered why it may not work. I thought it was a great first time buy and decided I liked the project of the lovely machined alloy parts. Colour me dense.

The steering works but no drive, just motor whine and grating....what have I done?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Buck said:

Oh, just wondered why it may not work. I thought it was a great first time buy and decided I liked the project of the lovely machined alloy parts. Colour me dense.

The steering works but no drive, just motor whine and grating....what have I done?

Thanks

Sounds like either a loose pinion or the mesh of the pinion/spur gear. :good:

On 23/08/2018 at 17:44, NOFX said:

Took the outlaw out with little un this morning.  Drove it for about 120 ft , did a small jump & sheared the pins in the brand new metal drive shaft ?. So I fettled a summit drive shaft to fit in.  After some swearing & sweating I got it to fit. I've given it a good testing doing wheelies & rolling stoppies.  It's way stronger than the metal ftx one. Not moved or twisted or broke anything. I might have solved the problem ☺️

do you have parts numbers for the summit drive shaft? and a little how to? i snapped the pins in the ftx steel center driveshaft

I don't know the part number, the summit parts have been in the shed for ages. It's the ones that go from the diff to the wheel.  I had to grind 2.5mm (ish) from the metal bits that go onto the diff input & drill the holes that go onto the diff & gearbox a bit deeper too. Hope that helps 

My Outlaw has a 35000 KV motor  HW WP SC8 120A ESC and I only use it on 3s and it's still on 

the original Spur Gear , I can't workout why people have problems with them stripping.

I dont jump mine I just race it over ground like dirt, parks and car parks

and I drive it hard all the time,

so maybe it's the jumping that's making the Spur Gears strip ? 

Stronger Delrin and Hard steel spurs are on the way :D.

Yes jumping does put a huge strain on the spur and pinion,especially if the chassis bites in and the wheels lock for a split second. Alot of manufacturers add slipper clutches to prevent this.

Hi, new member here.  Had my Outlaw a month or so and absolutely loving it!  I used to race RC cars years ago but family stuff got in the way and it took a back seat.  Now my Daughter's getting older I have more time on my hands so decided to get back into RC.  Wow, things have come a along way!

I'm having one small problem with my car and that's the turning circle - one way is fine, the other is awful, maybe 10ft?  I took off the servo arm, set the trim to zero, put the arm back on, no difference.  I've set the car up with very slight toe in, it wasn't balanced from the factory.  I've ordered another servo, do you think that will solve the problem?

Anyway, here's my car.  I'm currently working on a Killer Body Monster truck body for it - it's taking a bit of adapting!  Can post a pic when finished if anyone's interested?

Great forum, I'm sad and have actually read every post on this thread!

20180922_153952.jpg

Still loving my Outlaw - admittedly it's not stock - but it gets some hammer - trails / quarry etc including small jumps.  Shell is worse for wear now, cage is holding up great mind and of course lots of gravel rash on the alu chassis.  Not killed a spur yet running 3500kv 2s 90c 6.6a packs.

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Keep the servo horn off and then try to go full lock just to see if it's able in one direction and not the other?
Can you set endpoints on these?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OK thanks, that helped.  I've now set toe in correct without the servo horn connected, it turns left and right equal.  But the turning circle is still awful.  If I set the steering dual rate dial full on the steering is good, but is that correct?  Surely it should have a good turning circle with the dual rate set in the middle - no?