• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

32 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Yes, I've set up my Outlaw as a crawler for this weekend, spiderman and I are going out to play !!

Anyhow I've removed the sway bar, fitted the motor from my Maverick Scout and locked the rear diff using an Axial Heavy Duty Locker http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30500

It fits well in the Outlaw diff case, there is some slight play where the half-shafts fit into the diff locker, but it is minimal. If need be I'll use epoxy glue or suchlike to remove the play. After the weekend I'll be setting up the Outlaw as a dedicated beach car, so will go 2wd with the rear diff locked, and use sand paddles.

Hm i just had a look at my friend's manual of the Yeti which has locked rear diff and it seems it has the exact same locker. I suppose such a locker is the secret to all those crawlers out there :D 

On 01/08/2017 at 08:42, johninderby said:

Yes they are identical other than the motor and ESC.

As to which is the best value depends on what price you can get the brushless version for. Quite often on offer as most go for the brushed version and upgrade. Not much difference in price though between buying brushless and upgrading it yourself although it does give you options in terms of what motor and ESC to get.

Mandatory upgrade for both versions though is the steel,driveshaft. The stock plastic one is the cars big weak point.

John

Hi John, what combo is recommended for a BL upgrade? & the servo?

closing in on one of these.. finally!! (Been wanting one since release!)

15 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Hi John, what combo is recommended for a BL upgrade? & the servo?

closing in on one of these.. finally!! (Been wanting one since release!)

I tried.a GoolRC 3600 motor and ESC but was never happy with it due to the amount of clogging. Then fitted an Ares Sensored 13.5T and Quicrun ESC which runs absolutely brialliantly. Decent top speed and nice and smooth at low speed. 

The Turnigy 1501MG servo is just fine.

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I tried.a GoolRC 3600 motor and ESC but was never happy with it due to the amount of clogging. Then fitted an Ares Sensored 13.5T and Quicrun ESC which runs absolutely brialliantly. Decent top speed and nice and smooth at low speed. 

The Turnigy 1501MG servo is just fine.

John

Cheers John, so overall would you recommend the Outlaw?

4 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Cheers John, so overall would you recommend the Outlaw?

Yes I would. While it's far from perfect it is pretty good. The steel rear driveshaft is a must though. Durability is good although those doing big jumps with it are breaking parts. So yes it's a good basher so long as you don't want to do big jumps with it.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Yes I would. While it's far from perfect it is pretty good. The steel rear driveshaft is a must though. Durability is good although those doing big jumps with it are breaking parts. So yes it's a good basher so long as you don't want to do big jumps with it.

John

Just ordered one off eBay, £105 Brand new damaged box, no content damage, sounds  good?

9 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Just ordered one off eBay, £105 Brand new damaged box, no content damage, sounds  good?

Great buy. :thumbsup:

Now get that steel driveshaft ordered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-OUTLAW-STEEL-REAR-CENTRAL-CVD-FRONT-HALF-1PC-FTX8377-/222616920213?epid=2126974028&hash=item33d500a095:g:21AAAOSw9~5ZOmEs

John

• Like 1

Question the rear chassis has xtra holes for the swaybar.someone told me that  if u make the wheel base longer u use the other holes.how can u make it longer when there is no way to make it longer 

Does anyone know if the yeti rear bars are longer then the ftx 

Edited by bosco72

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Will it need it the same time as a BL combo John?

also, I'm sure I have a hobbywing 3656 4000kv motor somewhere in my possession, will this fit the Outlaw for 2s bashing?

7 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Will it need it the same time as a BL combo John?

also, I'm sure I have a hobbywing 3656 4000kv motor somewhere in my possession, will this fit the Outlaw for 2s bashing?

Definately will need the steel driveshaft as soon as you go brushless. Doesn't last even with the stock brushed motor.

That motor might be a little bit much for the Oulaw. Also what's the length of the motor? A 3600 just barely fits.

John

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Definately will need the steel driveshaft as soon as you go brushless. Doesn't last even with the stock brushed motor.

That motor might be a little bit much for the Oulaw. Also what's the length of the motor? A 3600 just barely fits.

John

36mm wide

56mm long?

i always thought that's how motor measuring went?

i could be wrong.

I also have a locked rear diff on my outlaw, First brought a co plate spare diff for £13.99 from FTX and I locked it with bluetac as I wasn't sure if I'd like it. performed great so have since epoxied the spare diff and have run it ever since but o do still have the original unlocked diff in the box I case I have a change of heart one day.

and I have also ran paddle tires on mine on the beech and over the water it was EPIC FUN 

Edited by 6ft4Crawler
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

36mm wide

56mm long?

i always thought that's how motor measuring went?

i could be wrong.

The number doesn't always indicate the true size which may be a mm or two longer. The Outlaw would take a 52mm or 53mm Long motor. The limitation is the distance between the motor mount and the steering linkage mounting post. You could trim the stering linkage very slightly to gain a mm or two.

John

On 7/10/2017 at 23:10, johninderby said:

Wouldn't be very fast. The stock motor is 15t and it isn't that fast. Would be more of a crawler.  You can only use a 17t or 23t motor pinion so it does limit your motor options.

I fitted a sensored BL system which lets me crawl as well as having decent speed.

John

IMG_1134.JPG

Forgot to ask earlier about this :P The LED light bar on the roof is the FTX alloy one or a different one? I'd love to put some real lights on my Outlaw, although it would be dangerous for them during bumps :D 

You can get an LED set that connects directly to the RX and are always on or buy an RX switch that plugs into the RX and the LEDs connect to the switch so they can be switched on or off using a spare channel on the transmitter. Of course you'd need a 3ch radio for that.

John

Yes the way they describe the driveshaft you might think it's only half of it but don't worry it is the complete unit. :017:

Make sure to use rhreadlock on the grub screws in the driveshaft as they go right through the shaft and will fall out unless threadlocked.. 

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I've finally found my perfect combo!! drives like a dream. Nice and smooth down low with lots of torque and good top end too, not that it gets that much! :) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149186647@N08/shares/Pg5C6r

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149186647@N08/shares/n8401e

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149186647@N08/shares/Htfn9Y

nice snug fit. Getting the carbon chassis so I can fit the rx in and waterproof it all. Next payday that is!!

having the avc is a nice little touch as It helps with rolling when your giving it the beans. Also would really recommend

the glitch buster if your running stock gear with a high power servo as I constantly had brown outs but its completely

glitch free now. This has got to be my favorite model without a doubt. I just love it goes anywhere and its go to be

the most fun on four wheels. I've been looking at yetis but I cannot see how they'd pip this now. I've had some gnarly

crashes and its not even flinched. I have to admit I was a bit brand snobbish but this thing has converted me. Yes ive spent

money on It but only on electrics. the chassis is sound and the robustness of it is awesome and cannot be knocked. If your thinking of getting

one of these there is no weighing it up. Theres nothing out there that's close to this for value for money and fun.

Edited by ph678
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ph678 said:

I've finally found my perfect combo!! drives like a dream. Nice and smooth down low with lots of torque and good top end too, not that it gets that much! :) 

nice snug fit. Getting the carbon chassis so I can fit the rx in and waterproof it all. Next payday that is!!

having the avc is a nice little touch as It helps with rolling when your giving it the beans. Also would really recommend

the glitch buster if your running stock gear with a high power servo as I constantly had brown outs but its completely

glitch free now. This has got to be my favorite model without a doubt. I just love it goes anywhere and its go to be

the most fun on four wheels. I've been looking at yetis but I cannot see how they'd pip this now. I've had some gnarly

crashes and its not even flinched. I have to admit I was a bit brand snobbish but this thing has converted me. Yes ive spent

money on It but only on electrics. the chassis is sound and the robustness of it is awesome and cannot be knocked. If your thinking of getting

one of these there is no weighing it up. Theres nothing out there that's close to this for value for money and fun.

Love mine also wicked little trucks and good alternative if you want a basher and a crawler at the same time but can't afford or have got the time/space for 2 trucks. although the amount I've spent on hop ups that it NEEDED because the stock items where just poor it now owes me more or less Axial Yeti money but now I've put the hop ups on I'd much rather the outlaw !

3 hours ago, ph678 said:

What is that combo then?,10bl60?