• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

Just watched the video about you custom rear sway bar, really informative video and I’m definitely going to give it a go once I’ve sourced all the parts.

Ive currently chucked a 3500kv VXL setup in mine for now but after seeing the runs of yours with that GoolRC motor it runs really well, also doesn’t seem to cog as much as mine does atm. Guessing the motor is still going strong? What ESC are you running as well out of interest?

I had intended on going for a sensored system after reading the Outlaw owners thread but the lack of proper waterproofing was a concern as me and the boy get our cars very mucky!

Any more progress with the SCT conversion on the other Outlaw?

Charlie 

• Like 1

@Bix  Hi Charlie, thanks for your interest, I've found it a worthy mod. It doesn't raise that front offside wheel now at all. You'll have to tailor the setting on your role bar to suit the torque of your motor and it'll be fine. Mine works spot on for a 3800kv on 3S! The motor is going really well, even the same motor in the Viper which I've had for longer is still going well. 

I've only recently switched to a waterproof Hobbywing EZRUN WPSC8 120A esc, and to be fair I've noticed a lot more cogging than before on the Hobbywing 120A esc which was not waterproof... I PlatiDip'd the receiver and have a waterproof 20kg steering servo now. 

As for going sensored, personally I wouldn't bother as I don't "pootle" slowly with it, as the Outlaw is not a crawler, I just belt the thing around going quickly with it. So I've just stuck with the sensorless system, and it's always returned great performance. 3S really does make it cover ground extremely quickly and with relevant ease. And the cogging, I run the same set up in my Viper, yet it doesn't cog - at all... 

I haven't got around to finishing the body posts on the SCT conversion yet, need to

mount the posts somehow and get some video of it, I'm hoping it'll go well with the shell on. I know it goes well without!

Edited by t2boats
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the info mate :good:

Took it down a local frosty car park tonight and was hammering it with the VXL setup using the 17t pinion and the motor got warm but not too hot on 2S. That’s really gunning it and flatout runs up and down the car park with some donut and drifting on the frost for good measure!

I think on 3S it would have been too much tbh, VXL is 3500kv but was rapid enough. I might gear up to the 23t and see how it goes. Last time I ran the 23t I destroyed the spur at the pin not the teeth! Defo need to have a crack at that sway bar mod as it was waving the front wheel when you buried the throttle :003:

I may leave the VXL in there for now, picked up a cheap Trackstar 13.5t sensored motor which I’ll have a go with just to see the comparison. As my VXL 3S ESC is the older model it’s got a sensored mode too so can at least try it. Sure I’ll find a use for it somewhere if I prefer the VXL motor.

I’ve got 17kg servo in mine now and agree it’s vastly improved over the stock one.

What started as a cheap used impulse buy is quickly becoming my favourite car!

Edited by Bix
  • Like 1

I think it's a great base to start with, works well out the box, brushed version is slow yes, but easily changed. From how mine performs now it's certainly up there as one of my favourites too.. 

I had fitted a Turnigy waterproof 17kg servo in mine not long after buying it, and it started to behave irratic, the slightest of tweak to either left or right and the servo overcompensated and would, quite violently, veer the car in that direction. Following a number of checks I couldn't find anything wrong with setups and radio, so ditched the Turnigy (totally lost faith in them now) and gone back to using TowerPro which I've never had a problem with in the past. As a last resort I tried the Turnigy in another rc, and it did the same thing. So the Outlaw now has the 20kg servo fitted, really good.. 

On 12/12/2017 at 11:21, t2boats said:

I think it's a great base to start with, works well out the box, brushed version is slow yes, but easily changed. From how mine performs now it's certainly up there as one of my favourites too.. 

I had fitted a Turnigy waterproof 17kg servo in mine not long after buying it, and it started to behave irratic, the slightest of tweak to either left or right and the servo overcompensated and would, quite violently, veer the car in that direction. Following a number of checks I couldn't find anything wrong with setups and radio, so ditched the Turnigy (totally lost faith in them now) and gone back to using TowerPro which I've never had a problem with in the past. As a last resort I tried the Turnigy in another rc, and it did the same thing. So the Outlaw now has the 20kg servo fitted, really good.. 

Potentiometer has gone iffy

I find turnigy a so so brand!

Sweet trucks BTW!

@Fly In My Soup cheers matey, I think they're good! Mine's going through some changes at the minute, mainly the body.. will post up a video in a few weeks.  Just wondering why there's such a difference in the cogging between the two esc's.. non-waterproof would cog a little, but the new waterproof version of the same ESC is awful! The odd thing is, the exact same motor and esc are in the Viper - and that doesn't cog at all.. One thing I haven't done is check the settings on the new ESC yet, might have a play with the timing to try and reduce the cogging, it's worked in the past on other esc's I've had, not sure about this one though. 

On 12/12/2017 at 11:21, t2boats said:

Yea I agree the base car is nicely setup, completely different to my other cars but seems to eat up anything you ask of it.

My servo is behaving for now thankfully! Haven’t tried the sensored motor yet as I return to the car park and snapped both trailing arms on a kurb :rolleyes:

Ordered more plastic ones tho as they are cheap and nothing else failed so I’ll treat them as throw away parts tbh. If I went ally I reckon another part or possibly even the chassis would have taken the brunt of the impact!

Fitted some cheap lights the other which look sweet tho...

908C7F69-8742-4A2C-AC61-03FE3CC940D3.thumb.jpeg.92cff87ab9e17e7d8c2085add9034300.jpeg

Edited by Bix
  • Like 1

@Bix  nifty! You fitted the LED's yet? I'll eventually get around to fitting a set on mine when I complete the shell in a few weeks. Yeah it's always worth having a cheap breaking point on an RC, I've been a firm believer in that for donkeys' years.  Which, it ultimately protects the more expensive areas beyond, such as ali shock towers etc... So I'll be sticking with plastic trailing arms and front suspension arms to cater for my dodgy driving on occasions :blush:  Like you say, they're cheap as chips too! Always worth keeping a few pairs in the spares box.  

• Like 2

AC6A23FB-059E-41C4-A094-6F3ED6523DA7.thumb.jpeg.3d56a47a0e903d76df792ef6f7f9eec5.jpeg

It came with the LEDs pre installed and plugs straight into the receiver. Sweet little plug and play setup and was only £8! I’d pick up some more but they aren’t avaliable anymore, at least not on amazon where I picked it up...

GoolRC AX-505W Multi-function Ultra Bright LED Lamp for 1/10 1/8 RC HSP Traxxas TAMIYA CC01 4WD Axial SCX10 Model Car-White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XTZ3TB0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hUAoAbCSFZYWZ

Really wanted to to fit it on the roof but I knew it wouldn’t last long so settled for it’s current location.

Edited by Bix
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been gradually doing little bits n pieces to the Outlaw for a while, I wasn’t going to post up a pic until the video appears in a month when I’m back home. As you can see in the photo I’ve removed the stock body panels and began fitting my own 5mm foamex cut panels set within the cage. It’s only half finished yet as I also want to seal off the inner area to protect the electrics, fit LED lights too, and add a few more panels yet. Went for a set of 2.2” beadlocks, ended up with two sets as one didn’t arrive and was “lost in transit”, so they sent out another two sets as compo - nice one! But, kind of stuck between which set to use now. Originally I was after using the mat black alloys but since seeing the polished ali set offered up to the car, they stand out a bit more. The camera though doesn’t do the black set justice, they do look good.

E746B510-2329-47A9-BEEB-C2D7825D06FA.jpeg

EEEB9D0F-B26F-4BAA-A109-8A7F7274B137.jpeg

D1F54BEF-EB95-4C08-A27D-6D5F4AD35834.jpeg

E4E59173-EDD6-4338-B236-2BCEEC490A82.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Almost certainly got to be the silver wheels over the black!

Yes totally agree! I was aiming for the black set at first and was going to use the polished ali 2.2" set as an alternative for my Ascender, but once I saw them fitted I've really liked their look. All that's left now is to add some oil to the rear diff and trim the tails off the rear role bar, then it's video time!

• 4 weeks later...

@hamradioguy Thanks Mark! You had yours running lately? Had mine out for a blast last weekend, it ran so well, and the custom rear role bar is spot on, doesn't wave that front right hand wheel now :D  You still interested in a set of panels?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any of you guys now checked out the Vetta Karoo?

It's an ftx outlaw with a pretty sweet SCT body and driver figures, out of the box!

Could even just buy the shell for £19.99

And get some SCT wheels/tyres job done!

?

On 10 March 2018 at 21:50, t2boats said:

Spent a little while finishing off the shell this afternoon, I’ve more or less sealed off the electrics inside to stop any unwanted mess getting in. The panels are simply made from 5mm Foamex, cut to fit the cage and zip-tied and glued in place. For the time being the front black panels over the shocks look a little crude, will be fitting yellow foamex to those soon with some curve to them, but for the time being they’ll help keep the dirt out! Also fitted an LED light set with ch3 switch and 7mm ali hex hubs!

9F33BE1B-B1A1-4E5D-98AB-7A7D0757DAE8.jpeg

A63AB753-8167-4F5C-A143-D9D87594A348.jpeg

18F83FA3-05ED-4F8F-8329-D21B63E69BB4.jpeg

1DADF695-2C1C-446C-9674-C0E36A1F3642.jpeg

437A440E-DF82-4DEE-8BD6-93FB22886DBE.jpeg

C3372CBB-3B2F-40B1-B379-D0EDC02F72B0.jpeg

Jist come across this thread love the look of this :yes: how did you attach the body panels? I've made some for my outlaw but used the stock screw holes and mounted the panels on the outside but would like to mount them inside like this mostly the roof as it ends up on it quite a lot :whistling:

Hello all,  finally had chance to get the Outlaw out from out its box and have a good look at it. It's a sturdy car, typical FTX feel to it, solid. I bought the brushed version as I've already got some brushless gear sat around doing nothing, so saving £90 has been the benefit! 
It has the 550 FTX can, and brushed esc, all Etronix gear. The control is your standard affair, simple yet functional. All the adjustments are found under a little flap on top. 
I changed the hubs/knuckles etc to FTX aluminium upgrades straight away (shares suspensions parts as the Carnage/Vantage/Hooligan) so that will minimise any slop now. Again, nice quality machined parts! There's a pic below. 
With wanting to fit a brushless GoolRC 3800kv 3660 can it has a 5mm shaft, FTX advertise two different pinion sizes of 17 and 23 for their two models using the 3.17mm shaft motor. I bought the 5mm 48dp 23tooth pinion for my brushless motor - I can confirm the brushed version comes Stock with a 17tooth 48dp pinion :ack:  I searched for info on this and found nothing. Was hoping the 17 was in the brushless version and 23 in the brushed version to help get the top speed up. I also ordered an aluminium motor mount to suit the 23tooth pinion when ordering the car, waiting for it on back order at the mo. So for the time being I'll run it stock, perhaps change the esc to a different brushed one I have which handles 3S.
I quickly ran it this morning and performance out the box is typical of a brushed model - it's not that quick which is to be expected, perhaps 20 to 25mph on 2S.. I'll fit my gps and give it a test soon! Even from just running it at that spec I could see how supple the suspension is - it's great to watch! And the tyres soak up the bumps and are really grippy :good:

Anything grind my gears? 
To change the pinion gear involves removing 12 screws - yes, 12! And they were bonded in by the feel of it too, so make sure you have a decent Allen key so to not round off the hex screw heads. 
To change the battery involves removing the shell too, with the battery being exposed at the back I was hoping I could get to both Velcro straps - nope! Anyhow, it's only 4 clips and it's off the car, then two velcro straps for your battery. It lives in a tray so things are well supported anyway.
Front suspension was really really soft, I'll have to change the shock oil to something a lot thicker I think in future. I moved the front shocks on the adjustment which has worked keeping the front end upwards a bit more when the shell goes on. Perhaps they did that for packaging reasons as the rear axles sus' was compressed n held down with a zip tie - so it'd fit inside the box - it's a tall RC! 
so far, that's it - nothing else really to moan about!

The good bits:
Feels well made and solid
Suspension adjustment seems endless and really supple
Easily modified (except the ordeal removing the gearbox cover)
Comes with stock waterproof electrics
Upgrade parts are plentiful for it (waiting for the rear axle aluminium drive cups and ali' motor mount for 23tooth pinion)
Aluminium big bore shocks all round
Large grippy foam filled tyres
And I think it looks great too!! Nice lean when steering, can't wait to make some video for it..
And surprisingly the stock 3kg moves the steering with ease!

All in all I'm made up with it, with what I've got in mind for it, it'll perform really well.
The following will be fitted:
GoolRC brushless motor 3800kv 3660 can
17kg waterproof steering servo
120Amp Waterproof ESC
2S or 3S Lipo.

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.c3b0276ca46b901267083f39e965ee80.JPG
IMG_0501.thumb.JPG.a442237184420b098108d988a665d0e3.JPG
IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.acf2be51253bc17d7cdbc9e4826f71da.JPG
IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.e2d6b2c7270dc095c0fa1bd884ad1712.JPG
Looking at a new motor for mine that has a 5mm shaft and can see you've changed yours to that as well but can I ask if there was a specific pinion you had to get to fit the mount and mesh nicely t2boats? I'd ideally like to get both 17 and 23t pinions to suit my mood!
Thanks in advance [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's what I used.  Make sure the pinion don't move. I drilled a pinion a while back.  The pinion moved a little in the vice :ack:. I didn't have the patience to wait for one through the post. So I used it & turned a spur gear to fluff in less than 5 minutes. :rolleyes: