• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Another great video - as John says so well -- Looking good

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Good to see someone putting their new RC to good use and having fun doing so.

:wheelchair:

Made a new video, reused some old video and added some new. Includes some pictures of the body restoration. 

Music a little iffy in places but it's my first attempt at editing so go easy on me guys!

enjoy

Edited by Wabom1981

Great video. 

New tyres fitted standard but with weights in them and holes sealed to make them waterproof. Mmmmm they don't grip at all on climbs on loose stuff. 

Drilled holes it tyres to unseal them as they were not compacting to give grip. 

I have also cut every other tread too see if that helps on loose stuff. See link. It will be interesting to see how it works. 

37286974265_972897b52f_b.jpg

1 minute ago, TerryV34 said:

Great video. 

New tyres fitted standard but with weights in them and holes sealed to make them waterproof. Mmmmm they don't grip at all on climbs on loose stuff. 

Drilled holes it tyres to unseal them as they were not compacting to give grip. 

I have also cut every other tread too see if that helps on loose stuff. See link. It will be interesting to see how it works. 

37286974265_972897b52f_b.jpg

Sounds good! I have heard of people doing this to their treads and saying that it makes a big difference!

let us know how they perform?

22 hours ago, just rolling said:

been out today, still smiling and still can not believe the stuff it can climb and also still muttering the words....oh bugger....when it tumbles

Theyre great aren't they! There's so many positives for this model, I was considering buying another crawler when I ordered the Ranger, but quite soon after I swiftly came to the conclusion not to bother spending money on another make having seen what the FTX is capable of. I'm well impressed! 

11 hours ago, t2boats said:

Theyre great aren't they! There's so many positives for this model, I was considering buying another crawler when I ordered the Ranger, but quite soon after I swiftly came to the conclusion not to bother spending money on another make having seen what the FTX is capable of. I'm well impressed! 

Had loads off all types of rc but this is the most fun lol and due to its slow speed can't imagine much breaking if anything. Always mega run time on a 2200 2s lipo and i would say being out an hour and normally still on 33% when i check, got the battery at front...hobbywing 1060 and better steering servo and it has climbed almost everything

Edited by just rolling

Mine's still stock except the addition of a Lipo and wheels, along with all the free mods I did. The Lipo is still in the rear too! Don't really plan on changing anything else, unless the combo does die one day then I'll do a complete change out, but to be fair considering the abuse it's having it's lasting well. I bought my son a Tundra, and straight away there's a clear difference between his stock servo and the stock servo in my Ranger, they're leagues apart for some reason. Anyway, until the electrics break then I'll try get as much time out of it as possible. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Mine's still stock except the addition of a Lipo and wheels, along with all the free mods I did. The Lipo is still in the rear too! Don't really plan on changing anything else, unless the combo does die one day then I'll do a complete change out, but to be fair considering the abuse it's having it's lasting well. I bought my son a Tundra, and straight away there's a clear difference between his stock servo and the stock servo in my Ranger, they're leagues apart for some reason. Anyway, until the electrics break then I'll try get as much time out of it as possible. 

For less than £20 the hobbywing 1060 is awesome and water proof but you would also need a receiver and controller, mine was great stock and quite a good climber but with the drag brake feature and battery up front there is almost nothing stops it. Mainly wanted to make sure mine was waterproof as i plan to just go everywhere including streams and snow, i just keep thinking of places to go explore with it

4 hours ago, just rolling said:

For less than £20 the hobbywing 1060 is awesome and water proof but you would also need a receiver and controller, mine was great stock and quite a good climber but with the drag brake feature and battery up front there is almost nothing stops it. Mainly wanted to make sure mine was waterproof as i plan to just go everywhere including streams and snow, i just keep thinking of places to go explore with it

I know what ya mean, I live in a rural area so I think I'm quite lucky with what terrain is only a moments walk away. I've put the Ranger through some testing times and it just keeps plodding on, love it! And with it being waterproof all electrics have been completely submerged and it simply keeps cracking on. So when it comes to changing things, like you, I'll be making sure the electrics I choose will be waterproof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t2boats said:

I know what ya mean, I live in a rural area so I think I'm quite lucky with what terrain is only a moments walk away. I've put the Ranger through some testing times and it just keeps plodding on, love it! And with it being waterproof all electrics have been completely submerged and it simply keeps cracking on. So when it comes to changing things, like you, I'll be making sure the electrics I choose will be waterproof. 

normally when you take the rc's out its ok run times at best or bloody broke before it's flat and then thrown into the car lol, horay for the mighty outback

• Like 1

normally when you take the rc's out its ok run times at best or bloody broke before it's flat and then thrown into the car lol, horay for the mighty outback
Oh I hear that...... No one told me before I got into the hobby.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

That's one point in particular amongst many others I'm liking about the Outback is that nothing has broken on it.. (well, except the tiny red wire going to the rear near side led light - but that was my fault picking it up one day!)  it's certainly become one of favourite RC's in my collection :D

• Like 1

Just trimmed approx 10mm off rear inner drive shaft, 5mm off rear shock tubing and 10mm off rear lower body posts. Now it has quite a bit more movement on rear shocks and articulation plus no catching from tires on lower body posts, hopefully try it at regular patch tomorrow, more free mods lol

Edited by just rolling
  • Like 1

That's one point in particular amongst many others I'm liking about the Outback is that nothing has broken on it.. (well, except the tiny red wire going to the rear near side led light - but that was my fault picking it up one day!)  it's certainly become one of favourite RC's in my collection [emoji3]
I've watched Terry's roll some twenty metres down a slope, at speed, and never flickered. I can't run my Outlaw for twenty mins without something breaking.....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Done a good few rolls with no damage, problem is me trying to follow the outback up some of the bloody climbs it can do, hoping to try my outlaw tomorrow which i have on 2s castle 3800 with alloy chassis...rear metal drive shaft and alloy motor mount fitted, fingers crossed for half ok weather

• Like 1