• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stupar's Vaterra Ascender build thread.

stupar

Looks good to me :good: was the rear bed meant to be cut like that for the shock towers ? and are you going to run the stock bumpers ? as they look like they stick out a bit from the body 

43 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Looks good to me :good: was the rear bed meant to be cut like that for the shock towers ? and are you going to run the stock bumpers ? as they look like they stick out a bit from the body 

Yeah the rear bed had to be cut that way to accommodate the ascender shock towers which sit higher that the flatbed position.

If you tried to use the little raised bit which is meant for the scx10 body mounts ith throughs the hilux wheelbase to far back relative to the ascenders wheelbase so the cut had to be made.

I will cover it with a spare wheel or accessories like a scale wooden crate.

The bumpers do stick out a little bit and that is with the spacers for the blazer body removed!

I may need to look at the aftermarket bumpers to close the gap off further.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so between being busy at work and illness in the family 5he Hilux has been on the back burner for a while.

Managed to spend some time doing some more to it.

Got the shackles front an rear installed and the Tamiya roll bar bolted on to the bed.

Its looking much better now.

Just have to wait on the light bar arriving from china.

Here's some progress images

30872450893_b115ac0107_b.jpg20161216_162110 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

30872450933_3487bcf5d1_b.jpg20161216_162136 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

31567407511_aeb4110a44_b.jpg20161216_162247 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

• Like 1

Couple of more bits arrived today-

My cheap light bar from china and my two jerry cans.

The lights are temporarily mounted using cable ties but i think they are sitting a tad to high so im going to remove the mounting brackets and tie the light bar straight to the roll bar.

31662117082_31c2225524_b.jpg20161222_195051-01 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

31436924640_84c786a774_b.jpg20161222_195249-01 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Edited by stupar
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Looking good :good: does the body not come with light buckets ?

No proline didnt do light buckets......personally i think they missed a trick there.

Im humming and hawing over getting the knight customs grill for the body which will allow for lights and more detail.

1 hour ago, stupar said:

No proline didnt do light buckets......personally i think they missed a trick there.

Im humming and hawing over getting the knight customs grill for the body which will allow for lights and more detail.

I couldn't agree more if you make a nice looking body like that do it justice and make light buckets :doh: 

just looked at the knight customs grill it's going to be quite expensive for the grill and lenses and more if you do the back ones aswell :o 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, big gaz said:

I really like it, the black wheels do give it a mean kinda look.

one little thing though, can the ascender bumpers not be tucked in a bit? Rear more than front in my opinion.....

Both bumpers need tucked Gaz im just being super lazy in doing it.

Mind you i keep eying up the RC4WD bumpers and mounts which i believe are more adjustable.

• Like 1