• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya WT-01 Build

BlackHole

If you want better image quality at a similar price, perhaps look for a cheap "action" camera rather than a cheap security camera. Many of the features of a security camera are wasted on a model car, so no need to pay for them. Rather get something optimised for image quality over recording time.

19 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

If you want better image quality at a similar price, perhaps look for a cheap "action" camera rather than a cheap security camera. Many of the features of a security camera are wasted on a model car, so no need to pay for them. Rather get something optimised for image quality over recording time.

Well, I looked at them on amazon for about 30/40 pounds but some reviews seems to be bad. I'll try that again :) 

Edited by BlackHole

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That is a very different direction! Although, if you are struggling to find somewhere big and clear enough to enjoy your RC truck, will you not also struggle to find somewhere to fly your plane?

• Like 1

I lost the steeriing again... The ball connector broke and the screw part is still inside and I can't get it out. Wow.......

There is no way I'm getting it out.. help :helpsmilie:

I'm going to need a new steering block and that ball connector I guess

IMG_0313.jpg

Edited by BlackHole

Nothing is indestructable, I usually break the lower arm where its held onto the chassis. It usually splits and pulls out from the U shaped shaft. Possibly dremel a slot into the brass and then unscrew it. You may cut into the plastic a bit but shouldnt be too bad. If you dont have a dremel with bits then santa is still available. Always a useful tool to have.

You could buy a new sprue  - they are cheap and easily available, and come with a bunch of other useful parts to add to your spares supply:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2176

Or you could take this as an opportunity to upgrade to alloy ones from GPM. A little more expensive, but unlikely to ever break again:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/tl1021-gpm-tl-01-alloy-front-knuckle-arm-x2

Or you could pop a post in the Wanted section on Tamiyaclub or here, and see if someone has a spare.

5 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

You could buy a new sprue  - they are cheap and easily available, and come with a bunch of other useful parts to add to your spares supply:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2176

Or you could take this as an opportunity to upgrade to alloy ones from GPM. A little more expensive, but unlikely to ever break again:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/tl1021-gpm-tl-01-alloy-front-knuckle-arm-x2

Or you could pop a post in the Wanted section on Tamiyaclub or here, and see if someone has a spare.

If I put the alloy ones and if this happens again I still can't take it out... I'm on the fence here

Edited by BlackHole

There is not such thing as an indestructible RC - if you hit it hard enough, something will always break. For me, the trick is to build the car in such a way as to maximise the chances of the part that breaks being something cheap and easy to replace. For me this is usually the suspension arm itself. So if you go for alloy uprights and possibly C-hubs, chances are that the next weakest link is the suspension arm. Just don't go for alloy suspension arms, as they pass the stresses into the gearbox mouldings, and they are a right pain to replace in comparison.

Or of course you could just go for a stock replacement. They are pretty strong - after all, this is the first one you have broken - and it is less than 6 quid for a replacement sprue that gives you a full set of left and right hubs and uprights.

Edited by XV Pilot

The strongest solution would be to get a bolt-through style ball connector, a spacer and a 3mm steel bolt to go all the way through the steering arm from the bottom, but that would mean either a new steering arm or somehow removing the broken threaded portion from your original.

That said, I suspect your crash was a bit of an anomaly in terms of how things broke. I have never broken mine like that. Even on my racing M-03 which also uses those ball connectors, it has been the plastic parts that have broken, not the connector.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

The strongest solution would be to get a bolt-through style ball connector, a spacer and a 3mm bolt to go all the way through the steering arm from the bottom,

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-5mm-ball-connector-nut-4-/rc-car-products/372215

You mean one of these? plus long bolt?

Yes, those would do nicely. However they are shorter than the stock ball connectors, so you'd need some standoffs to space them away from the plastic parts to preserve the stock geometry. A small stack of 3mm washers would do the trick, or if you are feeling flush and fancy a neater solution, these look nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262751061617

• Like 1