• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya WT-01 Build

BlackHole

I say brushed. Run with a lipo, a brushed rig can be much fun, plus, brushed suits certain Tamiya rigs better, imho of course.

Completed the chassis of my Subaru Brat last night, 2s lipo, quicrun 1060 Esc and a 15t can, with the speed gearing fitted. Plenty of oomph and wheelspin which suits the chassis perfectly. If I had chucked my 'go to' brushless set up in, I believe it would actually spoil it :o and that is coming from a devotee of all things brushless!

XV/John will be along to offer their wisdom....much better to heed that than some of the nonsense I spout....:lol:

• Like 1

I would also think twice about locking the diff. A RWD model with a fully locked diff doesn't handle particularly well. If you put a goodly bit of thick AW grease in there instead, it will slow the action so that you don't "diff out" offroad, but will still allow enough differential action so as not to detract from the rig's handling.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

OK but can still see a plastic bushing and a metal bushing that need replacing with the proper bearings. 

John

Indeed. There are eight bushings in total that need replacing with bearings in the gearbox - six plastic ones and two sintered bronze ones.

Or was the photo taken while you were part-way through the job?

Edited by XV Pilot

I think I'm almost running out of bearings lol :P  yea I saw those plastic bearings after I took the picture :P but I didn't took off the two metal bearings. i will do it now. I will have to get some think grease then. I will do it before I put all the parts together. btw I will have to get some long shocks. I hate those short ones :P 

The short ones actually work quite well for what they are. I ran my rig with them fitted for a good few years before upgrading to longer shocks and the longer towers needed to run them.

That said, it is a worthwhile upgrade, turning good everyday suspension into great suspension ideal for taking on big jumps.

• Like 1

You ought to have enough bearings for the model. In the photo of your bearing kit I count 16 of them, which is spot-on. 8 go in the gearbox, the other 8 go in the wheel hubs, 2 in each.

• Like 1

You can leave the arms as they are if you make it 4WD, but if you make it 4WS then you'll need to make the rear arms the same as the front ones. The shorter arms are that way to accommodate the steering hubs.

• Like 1