• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The super "G"

Tim.

Parents are currently clearing out their loft and just brought me this round.

25859589038_53277eb8d0_b.jpg

Must be just under 30 years old maybe and not turned a wheel for most of that.

39022186844_823e09e872_b.jpg

Everything looked to be still in good condition and moving freely, so I plugged in a battery to see what's..... small click and then a puff of smoke :(

Should I set about renewing it!?!?!?

Edited by Tim.
Picture link broken
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, the puff of smoke came from the resistor area, even after only being plugged in for 5 seconds the speed controller was too hot to touch.

A msc is likely to do that over a long period of time, clean up the contacts and regrease (proper contact grease) and should be good to go.

although personally for the prices of esc's now, that would be the favourable route with better radio gear too :good:

• 1 month later...

I'd agree re. the full stripdown and restore (unless of course the patina of wear brings back happy memories, in which case a mechanical resto topped by an unchanged shell might be better).

However in keeping with the vehicle's age, I'd stick to brushed power. It seems more authentic that way IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slight delay ^_^

Taken Gaz and XV pilots advice.

Ordered an esc and some new radio gear.

Keeping the slightly bruised body as it does bring back happy memories.

Research says these shocks are oil filled, I’m not convinced.

Desperate for some new original tyres 50303 and 50257 but really struggling to find anywhere within 3000 miles that has them.

With the recent re-release of the Grasshopper II, this is an excellent time to do a restoration as parts are once again quite easy to get hold of.

The Super G shocks are designed to hold oil, but after all this time I wouldn't be surprised if it has leaked out. A rebuild with fresh oil and possibly fresh seals is probably on the cards.

Edited by XV Pilot

I can’t wait to literally tear up my grass, my parents must have been so ****** off as I’d be out there for ages turning it to mud.

Just now, evssv said:

they shoulcnt b.....look at ur box...:good:

The box was the generic grasshopper 2 box. Super g parts were just thrown in and a sticker slapped on (money saving at its best)

27953993649_75be401072_b.jpg

The fronts aren’t too bad, rears, thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

Then mine has definitely lost all its oil. I’d like to keep those ideally and not replace them with a modern equivalent.

any tips on what to do about them as I’m sure the seals will have perished

Buy new seals? Chances are only the shaft seals have gone - the diaphragms are protected from exposure by the shock caps, and tend to last well.

So all the electronics and bits and bobs turned up, just need to find the time to sort it all out.

tyres arrived from eBay, a very helpful guy called Antony who appears to be some sort of Tamiya stockist. Chatting to him and he said I had no chance of finding new pin spike fronts.:boredlook:

35 minutes ago, Tim. said:

So all the electronics and bits and bobs turned up, just need to find the time to sort it all out.

tyres arrived from eBay, a very helpful guy called Antony who appears to be some sort of Tamiya stockist. Chatting to him and he said I had no chance of finding new pin spike fronts.:boredlook:

tonys tamiya parts?europro? something like that