• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo charging

allbluedave

57 minutes ago, allbluedave said:

Hey guys. Is it safe to partialy charge a lipo battery then turn it off charge if you go out then resume charge when you get home? I just dont want to kill my battery or cause a fire. Cheers guys :)

I know no reason why it wouldn't be, just follow all the usual Lipo safeguards and your good to go - the caveat being turn it off charge, disconnect them from the charger and store safely.

I almost always, and always at home, balance charge mine, and if you are, so long as it's around storage charge then there'd be no imperative to finish charging until they we're needed if you needed to stop part way.  If however they we're a lot out from storage it would be advisable, for the best use of lipo's, to either put them to storage charge or as you say finish charging later that day then use them. 

Lipos are fine with part charging, there's no memory effect.

Don't leave them empty, don't leave them full. Empty cells can deep-discharge, full cells corrode their own tabs internally which causes high resistance joints and reduces performance. 

Always storage charge them when you're done using them, this is approximately 60% of the stated capacity and will leave the cells resting at 3.8 to 3.9 volts per cell. 

Some folks only charge to 4.10v. Some folks only run them to 3.7v resting (20%). Some folk only run to storage.

Storage charge normally to 50% ish 3.8v to 3.85v.

Some folk run them from storage to test components then store charge again.

As Tug, never leave full or empty. My rule is 8 hours max before putting back on a storage charge.

Cheers guys. I only have the standard charger at the min but im going to buy a fast charger as soon as i can. Is there a charger that turns off when fully charged and knows what battery is connected to it so its impossible to kill it inputing the wrong data into the charger. ? 

I very rarely storage charge my lipo`s as it takes too long to fully charge them on race day, so once I`ve finished my race I just store them like that. I race every 2 weeks so storing  partially discharged is not a problem. Learnt the hard way not to store them fully charged! For bashing it might be a good idea to storeage charge them.

All lipos should be storage charged when not being used. 

I don't see the issue with taking too long to charge: as storage is 80% capacity, then to top them up from storage takes less time than from 'empty'??

48 minutes ago, stretch said:

Storage charge mine every time, with today's modern chargers there's no excuse not to as can be charged in under an hour.

Yep. 1C = 35mins (40 max) balance charge time from about 55% storage for me. I'm happy with that :thumbsup:

Wonder what lipo Benk is charging and which charger is used to do it?

Prob spend longer than 35 mins pre-race prep. Surprised that kind of time is too long..

27 minutes ago, stretch said:

What charger do you have and what batteries

Probably a regular RTR charger, it charges at around 1A. They usually take 6-7 hrs to charge.

Edited by Twist

Lipos can be charged at 1C ie 5000mah can be charged at 5A 6000Mah at 6A and so on. Do yourself a favour and get a decent charger http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger-with-fan/rc-car-products/379060 and store them at proper voltage.

Also have a read of 

Edited by stretch

Lipos can be charged at 1C ie 5000mah can be charged at 5A 6000Mah at 6A and so on. Do yourself a favour and get a decent charger http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger-with-fan/rc-car-products/379060 and store them at proper voltage.

Also have a read of 

Errrrr.

I charge my 5900mahs at 10a... But on a board. So i charge 2 to 4 at a time.

I'm guessing that is naughty?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

The battery is a voltz 3250 mah 7.4 volt 20c rating and the charger is a power pal pocket 2. Just the standard stuff.  Im wanting a fast charger that can charge more than 1 battery at a time. 3 at once would be good. Also that can charge tamiya type batterys as im also looking at getting a lunchbox too ?

48 minutes ago, Nic01 said:

Errrrr.

I charge my 5900mahs at 10a... But on a board. So i charge 2 to 4 at a time.

I'm guessing that is naughty?

Constantly charging above 1c will shorten the life and punch of the pack. Not all batteries can be charged at a higher rate does it say on the battery itself?

6 minutes ago, allbluedave said:

The battery is a voltz 3250 mah 7.4 volt 20c rating and the charger is a power pal pocket 2. Just the standard stuff.  Im wanting a fast charger that can charge more than 1 battery at a time. 3 at once would be good. Also that can charge tamiya type batterys as im also looking at getting a lunchbox too ?

That can be charged at 3.2a then. You can buy a dual/quad charger or buy a decent charger and use a board.

That can be charged at 3.2a then. You can buy a dual/quad charger or buy a decent charger and use a board.

I have these.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__18611__ZIPPY_5900mah_2S2P_60C_Hardcase_Pack.html

With a 350w power supply and 250w 10A charger with a board.

31 minutes ago, Nic01 said:

I have these.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__18611__ZIPPY_5900mah_2S2P_60C_Hardcase_Pack.html

With a 350w power supply and 250w 10A charger with a board.

Two packs in parallel at 10 Amps is fine, but not one pack on its own. 

3 hours ago, allbluedave said:

Ive been looking on ebay but noticed that alot of them need a external power supply. Plus knowing my luck i,d buy a dangerous clone lol

If you want enough power for a few lipo's the AC chargers ain't got it. The external psu setup is the way. Initial outlay is :o but if anything fails it's cheaper to replace individual components than buying the whole thing again.

Personally if I was stating out I would get 2 of these:

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/chargers-power-supply-leads/chargers/b6-10amp-200w-super-multi-charger.html

Get 2 xbox 203w power supplies and modify them. Get some cheap para boards and do a couple of 2s on each system. You'd be circa £100 for 400w.

I'm running 1000w system now charging 6x 5000mah 6s. Sunk about £300 total tho with charger, psu, boards, cables etc :o

At least Chargery give you a 2 year psu warranty.

Edited by dazp1976