• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best 1/5 around these days

marderman

Well guys after being gone for a while im wanting another 1/5 now i started with a marder then converted it into a beetle and a pick up loved it 

thats what i like about the fg it can be made so many differant things 

what other options are there these days 

Losi 5t is the the king of 5th scale but I think the bajas still wear the crown.  

The baja is old enough for it to be plentiful in every department.  I've seen so my baja owners get a 5ive then soon sell to get another baja. 

The 5ive can't be the King if the Baja wears the crown? :lol:

It's not really a question of who is the King and who is the best.

Everyone has different needs and nobody can simply tell you which the best is.

For someone on a limited budget who doesn't need anything too fast or large, then a Marder is a very good option.

For someone without a budget who wants to go racing full time, then a top of the line racer will be what they want.

The Baja does seem to be the 'old faithful' for me at least, I always end up going back to one and I probably will again in the future when my break from them is over.

Have a look on YouTube for what's around :) their is plenty of offerings.

45 minutes ago, marderman said:

Anyone ever used a mcd ? There seems to be limited about but look like good cars 

Unless  ur racing and have deeeeeeep pockets  dont look at mcd's for bashing:good: ....tbh for  bashing u got the losi5/km x2/hpi 5t/5sc.....km baja/hpi baja.....or the losi dbxl and i thk km do a dbxl copy  now......imo these r the only things worth considering when looking  for 1/5th  basher:good:..i had a marder and it was was poo imo.....my hpi baja on the other hand is a awesome  rc:Dof course 

.This is just MY opinion 

Edited by evssv

Need to work out what you want from it. If its just running about on an open field with no silly big jumps id rather have a used top end race buggy than a new baja or clone buggy.

Theres an Elcon MMX on ebay now for a very reasonable price .

But if you want something to bash the life out of then a Baja 2wd or Losi 5ive 4wd is the best bang for your buck.

Personally i dont agree with the clone market as i think it detracts from the money the proper companies can re invest in new designs but you makes your own choices :good:

• Like 3

Well I for one am glad there is clones!! I just got a km baja002 for £449 from rcmodelz, rest assured I'm more than happy with it too. Losi make more than enough rover man I'm sure! So there's no need to worry about there pockets or reasearch and development program lol

Really depends what you want to do with your car as to what is 'best'

If you want to tinker, mess about and modify...then I would go for a Baja. Cheap enough, plentiful parts, and plenty of hop ups/mods.

If you want the best out of the box...then you probably want a Losi 5ive.

Going racing....different ballgame.

MCDs ... I had one, and it was fantastic. When it was new. Parts prices are high, and when they start to wear...the price of fixing can be scary as there are not many aftermarket optional parts to look for.

As far as 'turning a buggy into a truck' etc goes....well...I did that with a Baja. Shortened it, widened it, and fitted FG monster wheels and a Jeep shell. Looks like an FG Jeep...handles a lot better. I also turned a Baja into a sandrail, and my current project is trying to make alternative front suspension for one to remove the shock tower.

If it were my money I would buy better than a Marder from the outset.

They seem a very old/outdated design to me but I suppose if it works you don't fix it?

The Baja has been around for a while but they have updated it in that time,the Marder to me looks like same as it did when it was first released however long ago that was :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marderman said:

Thats cheap im not keen on clones how are they ? 

Always seen them as buy cheap buy twice 

Couldn't really be further from the truth, they are very strong.

In fact, I still have my original KM chassis, that's seen probably 100+ tanks of fuel through it with various engines and set ups and it's still 100% straight.

I've never snapped a KM arm but I've snapped HPI and RPM.

Even the engines have improved over time and are decent, my Dads runs like a champ.

The only real problem with them is the fact they're a clone, if you can see past that, theirs no reason at all not to buy one.

Personally, I think the clone market does get a bit silly, but I'd prefer to bash with 20 clones and have a damn good day, than bash with 20 spectators because they couldn't afford HPI.

Only thing I don't really rate is things like the KM alloy arms... Don't go too much alloy on a Baja, because you'll end up crabbing and wondering why everything is bent lol.

But chassis/arms/gearbox etc... All very good and reliable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2016 at 17:26, Rover Man said:

Need to work out what you want from it. If its just running about on an open field with no silly big jumps id rather have a used top end race buggy than a new baja or clone buggy.

Theres an Elcon MMX on ebay now for a very reasonable price .

But if you want something to bash the life out of then a Baja 2wd or Losi 5ive 4wd is the best bang for your buck.

Personally i dont agree with the clone market as i think it detracts from the money the proper companies can re invest in new designs but you makes your own choices :good:

I'm not really a big fan of the clones either. Cheap for a reason.

27 minutes ago, Anthony30 said:

I'm not really a big fan of the clones either. Cheap for a reason.

yes,,,but theres cheap....crap.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AoWei-1-5th-Scale-26cc-Yama-Petrol-RC-Buggy-2-4Ghz-/172180682273?hash=item2816c4b621:g:0jUAAOSwezVWuc45

and cheap....quality....http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-cars/king-motor-ksrc001-baja-buggy.html

I know which I`d rather own....:good:

Welcome back :)

Decide on 2wd or 4wd, there's plenty of choice to have fun and that's the important bit to have fun.

Baja's make for good bashing out in fields etc, rwd action, plenty of parts and you can modify till your hearts content.

Losi 5T is the 4wd choice, great straight out of the box and handle really well, some people find them a bit boring to bash with as they handle so well but it shouldn't put you off etc

Dbxl is another 4wd contender and now you have the losi monster truck and also solid rear axle 4wd cars from Dragon Hammer and Kraken although the latter is hard to get hold of parts in the uk at present.

The above all have a following and people prefer one to another, choose a platform that will best suit to where your are going to run it and you won't go wrong.

6 hours ago, romfordbasher said:

RJJ are we going to be seeing another build soon ? Kraken ?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Not a kraken buddy, still undecided on that one plus i want to see what comes out for them and who stocks spares properly etc etc

Have had a long break from the tools, still hasn't stopped me buying stuff lol.

Yep definitely time now to sort some builds out to keep the existing ones company :)