• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC4WD fan's Axial wraith

RC4WD fan

Think i need to buy new tyres now as i had another go at glueing the tyres on the stock wheels and still didn't work :( got the tyres off without any damage to the tyre but there's lots of glue left on the tyre itself 

28 minutes ago, ostewart said:

Acetone :)

Im trying them in nail polish remover that has asetone in it

can you buy just asetone on its one  if so where ?

1 hour ago, capri-boy said:

Ebay buddy, quite cheap in larger volumes.

I thought that you might of had to have a permit or something like that to buy on its own as it's dangerous

anyway its going good with the nail polish remover (touch wood) 1 down 3 to go :) 

41 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

I thought that you might of had to have a permit or something like that to buy on its own as it's dangerous

anyway its going good with the nail polish remover (touch wood) 1 down 3 to go :) 

When I looked into buying it a lot of nail varnish remover was acetone free, though the stuff that did have it in was generally 99% pure - with just some colouring for safety / asthetics.

Having some 40 series tyres to remove from rims recently I knew I'd need a lot of the stuff so bought 5l from evilbay for around £13.  You'd be surprised what chemicals you can buy without any sort of checks or licensing.  I'm told acetone will attack certain plastics and it is a solvent for rubber so could dry your tyres out.  From my limited experience it hasn't affected my proline mashers at all, despite them soaking in a ~5mm bath overnight.  I left a couple of the old traxxas 14mm MT rims in the solution for about a week and they weren't affected either.  YMMV.

ok so paints ordered and on its way but before I order some SSD 2.2 beadlocks and SSD wraith steering links from RCbitz I'm going to have a go at making some steering links myself been looking on Google and found wraith steering links like these 32628035-16D5-492A-8692-E033E23B3CDF_zps I don't  know if that setup is very good or not ? but got the bits to make them so why not give it a go :) 

12 hours ago, ostewart said:

Suicide steering, general consensus is it isn't very good in terms of geometry.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/340773-suicide-switch-steering.html

on second thoughts after reading that ill just buy the SSD steering links :yes: 

• Like 1

I have a question for the wraith and bombers owners the upper links are plastic witch i want to change im not sure if its the same on bombers or not but the upper links have a bend in them if i was to make my own do i need that bend or not I can't see that i would need it but thought i would ask first 

My new wheels and steering links turned up the wheels are so nice don't want to put them on just look at them :lol: 8AF26881-D5E4-42A0-87FB-8D34A1B770D8_zps and got the body panels painted i did say that it was going to be green :D 6AEC01E6-8507-4E41-AAF6-AD20610D17C3_zps

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

I have a question for the wraith and bombers owners the upper links are plastic witch i want to change im not sure if its the same on bombers or not but the upper links have a bend in them if i was to make my own do i need that bend or not I can't see that i would need it but thought i would ask first

I think the bend is there for high clearance, so maybe try without and see if it binds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ostewart said:

I think the bend is there for high clearance, so maybe try without and see if it binds.

I've been looking on rccrawler and the bend on the upper links are there so they don't hit the prop shaft but I've had a good long look and can't see that it would I'm going to make some anyway and see if they do or not 

• Like 1

ok so it's finished I suppose there's a couple of things i want to do to it before i call 100% finished witch are 1 lower it  2 do the fastback mod 3 do something with the receiver box and ESC possibly move it all up front 4 sort the lights out 5 try and make the upper links myself and 6 do something with the interior and obviously spend a small fortune on accessories and upgrade parts the list of parts I'm going to get are front c-hubs and knuckles rear lockouts maybe upper links if I can't do them myself metal gears and get some good electrics but money is tight at the moment have more important things to pay for so these things will have to wait :( anyway there's not been many pics so this is how it stands at the moment 9C587AB5-B178-46A1-B6A2-B1F94E231EAC_zpsA9C438CB-4A61-4930-B5B1-F5CE200F27F6_zps66AEAB69-9F5B-482B-9487-B864BD82C46F_zpsFCD1801C-366A-4DBB-928A-35D33EDB3A20_zps

have done one mod witch is the battery up front and hinged hood it's sooo much easier to remove and change the battery now only takes under a minute to do :)  6667DAF6-5735-4428-AE8F-9773F0E86DAC_zpsF81B9DA0-5591-48A1-A612-F233FF0C65FA_zps

the wheels are really really nice go together so easily the only thing I didn't like was taking all the little screws off and putting thread lock on them it was so tedious but are worth it 8F7DA4F7-B345-46CF-8675-A7B3D7495C03_zps

also put the SSD steering links on no problem at all and look and perform much nicer to CF82C545-C4DA-49A7-840C-C1200004C61A_zps now need to find the time to get all the other bits done now more soon 

• Like 1

fastback mod done only took 4 nights :doh:334B4880-BF16-498F-BF48-4B68F35F929B_zps I used the stock spare links that come with the kit unsure whether to make some or not I know its not to everyone's taste using the kit links but i actually really like it so went with it :) 

also got a driver going to paint it like a crash test dummy 177906A8-44B5-4E9C-92C6-1F7BD8E15953_zps

Edited by RC4WD fan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

been to my LHS and got the first good bit if the electrics I hope just need to get a good ESC and motor now 9C34C1B7-EE96-4CC1-B749-BA14AEF68924_zps

I don't see you breaking that servo, I've jumped, crashed and abused Boudicca and the 7954 has never missed a beat. As for electrics, if you're going Brushed, I'm running the classic Quicrun 1060 and Axial 55t can on 3s with a 2 speed box and Sbec for the servo. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chewbacca said:

I don't see you breaking that servo, I've jumped, crashed and abused Boudicca and the 7954 has never missed a beat. As for electrics, if you're going Brushed, I'm running the classic Quicrun 1060 and Axial 55t can on 3s with a 2 speed box and Sbec for the servo. 

thats good to know :) if I ever did strip the gears I think there are replacement gear sets are the 7955 gears witch are titanium able to go in the 7954 ? I have been thinking of putting a brushed setup in it that same esc and motor  actually but as i run a 2s lipo the servo will just run straight off it :) there's just a HW 120A SCT combo in it at the moment but I'm more than likely to get a mamba max pro and a Tekin roc 412 2300kv motor :yes: 

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

As we discussed via PM Jamie, that servo is awesome and like Tim, mine has been purely abused and not let go, never slowed down or stripped any gears or anything.

Have to admit, I'm liking how this looks!

10x better with the fastback IMO.

not used it yet but did fit it last night and already can tell it's in a completely different universe than the old one also have adjusted the end points to 85% :) and it definitely looks a lot better with the fast back mod also been lowered to I'll get some pics up soon :good: