• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Plus isn't it right that it's not too good to actually spin the motor with a pinion connected when it's not all switched on?

I remember the joys of trying to work on one in my bedroom... That was 'fun' :lol:

Yup. That was the point I was trying to make lol

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Plus isn't it right that it's not too good to actually spin the motor with a pinion connected when it's not all switched on?

I remember the joys of trying to work on one in my bedroom... That was 'fun' :lol:

Not sure I follow, if you're referring to the "don't spin up an unloaded motor" rule, then you're correct. This generally refers to running a motor of the brushless variety without a pinion, this can over-rev the motor and cause the magnets to debond. That would only happen on high voltages. 

As for dragging a brushless car, I don't know if that's harmful to any part of the car. 

Just now, Tug said:

Not sure I follow, if you're referring to the "don't spin up an unloaded motor" rule, then you're correct. This generally refers to running a motor of the brushless variety without a pinion, this can over-rev the motor and cause the magnets to debond. That would only happen on high voltages. 

As for dragging a brushless car, I don't know if that's harmful to any part of the car. 

No no, I know that bits true, I read on a thread a couple of months back on here a couple of people having a debate on if it's actually wise to drag a brushless vehicle, spinning the motor up and sending current to the ESC, or amps, or whichever you'd call it.

I can't remember who it was now, because I actually thought it was you lol, but obviously not, it might have been Noj? (sure he can clarify) if not then I can't remember who but it was a well known member.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

No no, I know that bits true, I read on a thread a couple of months back on here a couple of people having a debate on if it's actually wise to drag a brushless vehicle, spinning the motor up and sending current to the ESC, or amps, or whichever you'd call it.

I can't remember who it was now, because I actually thought it was you lol, but obviously not, it might have been Noj? (sure he can clarify) if not then I can't remember who but it was a well known member.

Yes, that I remember, I was in that conversation. I don't think there was a definitive answer as to "should you" or "shouldn't you", I still do it, no harm done yet. 

1 hour ago, Rover Man said:

Now i could be 100% wrong here but seem to remember something ive seen on tv or read.

If you spin a motor with no power does it not act as a basic type of dynamo ???  If so if you pull if far enough your battery would be recharged .

Worth looking in to by one of the leccy guru's lol 

I asked this same question on this very forum. The consensus of opinion was that yes, the can would create a small, generating effect, ergo should be disconnected from the ESC when pulling it. At no point was re-charging of packs considered. RM, maybe you're onto summat....;)

Doorways, however do not become any easier to navigate. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Yeah I can't remember either but I definitely remember some people saying they avoid doing it in case.

I can't imagine it's too good for it, even if it's just for the sake of wearing the motor out.

Let's be honest, how far does anyone drag a car to get to a bash? It can't be more than a couple of hundred yards at most? Any more than that and I just drive it. I've got "limp home" cells for getting to and from bash sites, that saves the bash packs for bashing. 

Right, no ramping, but tonight was the first drive in anger. Same set-up as before; Hobbywing Max5, 8S, Leopard 58110, 520KV motor. 

The motor did hit 65C, but I can live with that. 

There's a vid uploading, it's poor, but it's something. Speed feels fine for a car this big, so I'm not too bothered about numbers at the mo. 

The suspension really needs sorting, it's so over-damped. I'll need to stock up on oils. 

Other than that, what a drive! These things are awesome! Such a composed machine! 

I'll pop back with the vid and any other thoughts in a bit. 

That speed looks spot on, as you say for something that size, you're not going for any speed records, so for bashing, it looks really good.

65C also isn't too dramatic, still got some room there, plus it's bound to be a touch higher given the warm weather.

Looks grand Mr Tug! :D now we need to see it ramped! :P

Oh and that shell looks sweeeet!

• Like 1

Cheers, it's about right for me. 

Temps aren't a concern at the moment, but I've swapped down to an 18 tooth because the 19 that came with the conversion kit was horrible. It's hollow in the back and this allows a tiny amount of wobble on the rotor, which is not good. I'll test the 18 to get another baseline to go with the 19 temps, then test again when the 21 tooth arrives. 

I didn't do the shell, but it's not a bad look. 

Looks fine as it is, and goes well.

A 'satin C/F look' could give it a stealthy look I suppose.

I was just imagining how popular you would have been if you'd have kept it as you'd received it and were running it up and down there!!

Don't think you'd have stayed there for long!!

Al.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Maybe a hydro dip? Dunno, just focusing on the mechanics of it for now. Aesthetics can wait. 

I would worry about diffs next, thick centre diff oil should improve off the line performance and remember that the ring and pinion gear in the front and rear gear boxes are not greased and are running dry.

If you're going to be running decent torque through them I would grease them asap to ensure they last, I stripped mine down last week and there's no signs of wear but I greased mine more or less right away. And the center CVD boots don't have any grease either so maybe an idea to plop a bit in :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

I would worry about diffs next, thick centre diff oil should improve off the line performance and remember that the ring and pinion gear in the front and rear gear boxes are not greased and are running dry.

If you're going to be running decent torque through them I would grease them asap to ensure they last, I stripped mine down last week and there's no signs of wear but I greased mine more or less right away. And the center CVD boots don't have any grease either so maybe an idea to plop a bit in :)

Cheers, I've got some "red and tacky", that suitable? 

20 minutes ago, Carpmart said:

Very good... That goes better than I thought it would....

never mind the poor camera, it's the driving that was shockingly bad... :) LOL  

Once the camera was off, I was able to focus on one thing, driving! So it improved immeasurably! Honest! Stop laughing! It really did! You'll see! ;)

Looks awesome and as already said, good speed for bashing.

whats happening with the petrol bits? I wouldn't mind buying the air filter cover if it comes available?

following with interest :good: