• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any need

babylon

So, Was just wondering,  Is there any need for the Losi 5ive/X2 to have a jumbo size servo on the throttle.

Most don't like the brakes to lock up, So a good fast 1/10 servo must be good enough for the job.

I would reckon that a larger servo will carry the load over larger surface areas, so won't be as stressed and therefore last longer. 

That's all I can think of. 

Well, fitting is not really a problem, And if 20kg pull is enough for brakes, Then a pretty good servo can be had for half the price of a jumbo.

More than that, A very high standard 1/10 servo can be had for the price of the standard Savox jumbo.

It's just an option.

Does a 1/5 scale apply the brakes any longer than a 1/ 8 scale buggy, Truggy,  Or monster truck.

It will only pull what it can pull, And if 20kg is enough,  Then could you not do without the extra killos and have a cheaper servo to save a bit of money, Or a higher quality one.

I have seen some racers who actually use a standard scale servo on the throttle/brakes.

I think it's for the response time as even the fastest large scale servo's are still slower then the average standard scale servo.

I've got two standard size servos that can pull 35 and 44 kilos, but I don't think I'd like the idea of stressing them with the job of stopping a 5ive. Go large ..............or crash into something. 

• Like 2

My Baja has standard servo operating front cable brakes, but it weighs a lot less than a 5ive. 

In theory, it should work absolutely fine, but as mentioned, for similar money you can have a full on largescale servo. 

If it were my car, I'd use a large servo over a small. I'm basing this purely on the weight of the 5ive, not actual experience. 

Not sure were you're finding a 'high' standard size servo for the price of an average jumbo servo, but they're fairly equal in price from the tens I've bought of each, from Savox, Hitec, HPI and KM... It just seems like a lot of effort and extra cost for no real advantage on the outcome.

Jumbo servos have always been more robust for me.

38 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Not sure were you're finding a 'high' standard size servo for the price of an average jumbo servo, but they're fairly equal in price from the tens I've bought of each, from Savox, Hitec, HPI and KM... It just seems like a lot of effort and extra cost for no real advantage on the outcome.

Jumbo servos have always been more robust for me.

The Hitec 7980 that I have is approximately 112 retail. It's a beast! ;)

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

And the standard size servo from AJ's truggy was about £130 lol... I guess he doesn't realise smaller doesn't mean cheaper :P

Don't forget I've got a 110kg finger snapper as well ;) 

The Protek 170t is one of the highest spec'd standard servo you will ever find 45kg at .11 

2 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Don't forget I've got a 110kg finger snapper as well ;) 

The Protek 170t is one of the highest spec'd standard servo you will ever find 45kg at .11 

45kg isn't necessary though is my point, he's comparing like the very highest spec jumbo servo against an average standard size in price.

Where as an average servo of about 15/20kg is going to be around the same in both standard size and jumbo, in terms of price 

Lets not forget the weight of a large scale off road car is 10 to 25kg - smaller servos are fine on the comp cars because they generally do either front brakes or throttle and rear brakes - on something like a losi 5t I wouldn't use anything less than a Rhino due to the mass you're trying to stop.