• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Not trying to sell here just advise as I know a some of you have had multiple X-Maxx’s

Ive had mine a few months and it just doesn’t get the usage it deserves, I went a little mad and ordered loads of parts and only got around to fitting the Proline shock shafts and caps.

Im now in a situation where I have a relatively new X-Maxx with loads of upgrades still new in bags.

When looking for an X-Maxx are there certain mods you look for or do you prefer to buy as stock as possible and add your own parts as you wish?    

Okay so I’ve done a bit of testing, and you guys are right. The new servo appears faulty. The old works fine. Will call the shop tomorrow and see if anything can be done. 
the YouTuber I watched was suffering with the same symptoms and when he replaced the esc apparently it cured the servo issue. Very odd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

if you replug old 1 back in is it still same or is it ok now ?

If I plug original in, the servo works. Plug the new one in and nothing. It didn’t even make it through a whole battery pack from new. Was working fine. Followed traxxas video for fitting, and all done as per instruction. Wasn’t bashed hard either. Bit annoying!!

2 hours ago, EvilR said:

Not trying to sell here just advise as I know a some of you have had multiple X-Maxx’s

Ive had mine a few months and it just doesn’t get the usage it deserves, I went a little mad and ordered loads of parts and only got around to fitting the Proline shock shafts and caps.

Im now in a situation where I have a relatively new X-Maxx with loads of upgrades still new in bags.

When looking for an X-Maxx are there certain mods you look for or do you prefer to buy as stock as possible and add your own parts as you wish?    

Having been down the road you have, My current X Maxx has a Max 6, bigger pinion and RPM Rear Hubs. Thats it.  Its the best incarnation of my 5 XMaxxs, cost the least and is the nicest to drive. Ill upgrade if something breaks but thats it. 

I know its hard to believe, but genuinely the more you spend on these, the worse they get IMO

I cant think of anything thats So good in box stock spec

Edited by Kpowell911

Regarding the upgraded servo….

Ive had two of the Traxxas one (2085X is it). Theyve been faultless. HOWEVER there is A LOT of examples of people having issues with them, some not even working out the packet. 

I dont find the performance of the stocker too bad, but if It does go, Ill maybe go for a high end standard sized one this time

2 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Regarding the upgraded servo….

Ive had two of the Traxxas one (2085X is it). Theyve been faultless. HOWEVER there is A LOT of examples of people having issues with them, some not even working out the packet. 

I dont find the performance of the stocker too bad, but if It does go, Ill maybe go for a high end standard sized one this time

That makes me feel a bit better, but if there are so many issues with them, why keep selling it?! I hadn’t heard anything other than good feedback. If I’d known this, I may not have gone with the 2085x. Hopefully this will work in my favour for getting a refund/replacement if it’s a known problem.

1 minute ago, Ant.p said:

That makes me feel a bit better, but if there are so many issues with them, why keep selling it?! I hadn’t heard anything other than good feedback. If I’d known this, I may not have gone with the 2085x. Hopefully this will work in my favour for getting a refund/replacement if it’s a known problem.

To be fair this was years ago. I presumed it was sorted. Id get a new one under warranty and go from there

18 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

To be fair this was years ago. I presumed it was sorted. Id get a new one under warranty and go from there

I’ll see what ‘passionate about rc’ says when I call them tomorrow with the bad news. Fingers crossed they’ll replace it without question.

• 1 month later...

A little advice please. This may have been covered before, but to save some reading…

With a max 6 fitted, what is the recommended pinion/spur size combo for the standard motor?

I have the standard servo fitted (whilst waiting for the 2085x to be replaced under warranty), can this servo handle 7.2v or am I best sticking to 6v?

5 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id stick to 6.0v BEC, bare in mind its not just the servo thats only rated for 6.0v but the receiver too. 

Gearing. Id go with the smaller (46t) spur and a 20 or 21 tooth pinion

Good point about the RX! I was almost willing to sacrifice it as a trial because the 2085X isn’t too far from being delivered, but glad I didn’t!

will take a look at the gearing you mentioned. Cheers for the help 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Good point about the RX! I was almost willing to sacrifice it as a trial because the 2085X isn’t too far from being delivered, but glad I didn’t!

will take a look at the gearing you mentioned. Cheers for the help 👍🏻

Everyone forgets the poor RX haha!

Chances are. Both would take the extra voltage but you know

@Kpowell911 Back to the spur and pinion, I don’t suppose you know anywhere that has this in stock? After a quick google search, I’m stumped. Modelsport has a fastrax version ‘on order with supplier’ but that was as close as I got.

edit:

sorted now, and ordered! Went for the 20t pinion as next size up available was 22t. Will be good to start lower and gear up if still room for it.

Edited by Ant.p

So next q…

I fired up the new max 6 esc this eve for the first time in the Xmaxx fully expecting it to all be working, just needing to set end points on throttle and neutral position by calibrating it with the set button.

I was wrong. The Traxxas tx/Rx will not talk to the esc. It’s binded, and the only plug I changed was the esc in port 2 on the receiver. 

there is a loud noise (sounds like a fan) coming from the receiver area when powered up. Any ideas what it could be? Can the standard traxxas tx/rx even be used with the max 6? 

definitely all plugged in correctly, so I’m stumped 🤔  

edit:

sussed it. Was my fault. In my haste to fit had not noticed that there are 2 number 1 ports on the traxxas receiver, so visually you have to plug the esc into port 3.

good news is, the esc works fine now and calibrated with traxxas tx/rx. Bad news is I killed the stock servo by plugging the esc into the wrong port. Fortunately I already had a 2085x on order and it’s due in stock soon. Until then, i will have to wait to try out the max 6. What a dumb dumb! 😩😅

Edited by Ant.p

Most of us have done similar. I once fitted a new ESC, connected up the cells for the first test fire.................. completely forgetting that the uBEC I was using was only rated to 6S, not 8S. That cost me the uBEC, the Rx and the servo. 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Most of us have done similar. I once fitted a new ESC, connected up the cells for the first test fire.................. completely forgetting that the uBEC I was using was only rated to 6S, not 8S. That cost me the uBEC, the Rx and the servo. 

Thanks, Tug. Makes it a little easier to swallow. It’s an expensive enough hobby without us sabotaging our stuff. Who knows, this may have taught me a lesson to take my time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wthell?!?! Traxxas call it self righting!! More like self destruct!!! Lol first time using it and both back tires explode!!! Not happy with traxxas at all tbh. For a £1000 I could have made or bought sumting bulletproof. It's not the only problem either and it only 3 weeks old with no bashing only light woods running! 😔 Traxxas support no help!... Bad show traxxas 👎

11 hours ago, Tone1985 said:

Wthell?!?! Traxxas call it self righting!! More like self destruct!!! Lol first time using it and both back tires explode!!! Not happy with traxxas at all tbh. For a £1000 I could have made or bought sumting bulletproof. It's not the only problem either and it only 3 weeks old with no bashing only light woods running! 😔 Traxxas support no help!... Bad show traxxas 👎

Yep pile of 💩 I’ll give you a tenner for it save you taking it to the dump . 

• Haha 1

Not used mine for months, Id left it at my Mum n Dads….. unfortunately Id left it dirty 😕

blXzlof.jpg

Quick wipe down,

GJwU1uK.jpg

Hopefully the weathers better this week and I can get a bash in. The shell is destoyed though, worse than I thought, serves me right for not taping it

• 3 weeks later...

New to the forums, so, hi y'all from Las Vegas. I've had my Xmaxx for a few months now. Started off replacing some of the obvious bits, RPM rear carriers, CEN hinge pins, Max6, Traxxas metal gear servo, all SS bearings, some duratrax tires after one of the stockers exploded. But then after a fairly intense desert outing, my stock motor seized from a blown out motor bearing. Instead of wasting my time with warranty nonsense, I decided to swap in a CC 1717 1260KV. That lasted one bash session and the tekno pinion i was using disintegrated and jammed, effectively seizing the motor and destroyed it. Was running 20T tekno hardened steel pinion and 50T GDS spur gear and they did me well with the stock motor. 

I've since moved on to a Max5 with HW 1100KV with some WFO  d-bore mod 1.5 gears. Currently running 33/20, while I wait for 35/25 to show up. Because of the heat out here in the desert, I'm finding cooling to me somewhat problematic, so I'm testing dual blower fans on the motor, and I'm waiting for dual blowers for the esc. Both dual fan setups will be running of separate 3S Lipo packs. The weight of this beast is really getting up there at 30lbs which has me a little concerned, but whatever, yolo.

I'm starting to move more in the direction of on road speed runs instead of bashing anyways. So far i havent done any serious testing until I get my dual blowers on the Max5. 

Apologies for the dirty Xmaxx in the pic, but out here in the desert, it's simply unavoidable. The two 3S packs will be attached above the battery trays with the straps. I've tried to maintain balance with the current placement. The power out of this motor is pretty ridiculous. In fact the whole project is ridiculous, but whatever.

IMG_20211107_205949.thumb.jpg.9a1dfaa3fffe95ed6ee5640de1e9f474.jpg

IMG_20211107_210043.thumb.jpg.281ff69758dd6b5c656b490c3f16ac92.jpg

• Like 3