• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good drill for RC maintenance

LouisR

Hi guys I was wondering what options there are for a not too expensive drill that could be used for screwdriving and such like that has adjustable torque settings to be sure not to over tighten things. Thanks for any suggestions :):)

I'm not sure i'd want to use a power drill on my RC (i have a ryobi which would do the trick). 

If i were pressed to use one, i'd go with something like the bosch ixo or something like that. 

I have a small electric screwdriver at the moment but my issue is that it has only one setting which is annoyingly slow and also has too much torque meaning it has caused me to strip out screws in the past. I was looking for something with variable speed and torque settings so that I could avoid the risk of over tightening while also being quick.

Best thing is to use the screwdriver to get it nearly tight and then tighten it fully by hand is my method. But I am a bike mechanic so have spent a lot of time using torque wrenches so have a fairly good idea of the torque by feel.

The Ryobi one is the only cheap one that I know of with a good adjustable clutch, it's a bit underpowered for conventional wood screwdriving but great for RC work, not too fast so won't burn out your plastic part threads. I have one and know several others that also use one. Got mine from B&Q, bought it in store but it is available slightly cheaper if you shop around. The only downside with this model is that the battery is built in so you don't get a spare.

http://www.diy.com/departments/ryobi-4v-li-ion-cordless-screwdriver-csd4107bg/173971_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFU0ZKKKjAdoZWPh4RNiCCgT2-3xnxAui1ZWJ7ssnG-oaAhl98P8HAQ&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA173971_BQ&ef_id=VngZsAAABH38TjUg:20160108090653:s

Edited by Stilli

30 minutes ago, Stilli said:

The Ryobi one is the only cheap one that I know of with a good adjustable clutch, it's a bit underpowered for conventional wood screwdriving but great for RC work, not too fast so won't burn out your plastic part threads. I have one and know several others that also use one. Got mine from B&Q, bought it in store but it is available slightly cheaper if you shop around. The only downside with this model is that the battery is built in so you don't get a spare.

http://www.diy.com/departments/ryobi-4v-li-ion-cordless-screwdriver-csd4107bg/173971_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFU0ZKKKjAdoZWPh4RNiCCgT2-3xnxAui1ZWJ7ssnG-oaAhl98P8HAQ&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA173971_BQ&ef_id=VngZsAAABH38TjUg:20160108090653:s

That's pretty much the Ryobi version of the Bosch Ixo, isn't it?

30 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

My personal opinion, just use a screwdriver and stop being lazy!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Have you ever done 4'or more large scale wheel beadlocks?  

Im in the drive them in, tighten them by feel camp.  I too have been spannering on 'things' for far more years than I care to remember and you build the 'feel' for torque eventually.  

I use a B&Q McAllistar LIon powered screw driver, £9 in a sale, been brilliant!  I also use my 18v Lion Bosch drill on occasion, beadlock screws, and set the clutch to lowest setting, which works perfectly...

My personal opinion, just use a screwdriver and stop being lazy!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Have you ever done 4'or more large scale wheel beadlocks?  

Im in the drive them in, tighten them by feel camp.  I too have been spannering on 'things' for far more years than I care to remember and you build the 'feel' for torque eventually.  

I use a B&Q McAllistar LIon powered screw driver, £9 in a sale, been brilliant!  I also use my 18v Lion Bosch drill on occasion, beadlock screws, and set the clutch to lowest setting, which works perfectly...

I can honestly say 'no' ive never done 4 or more large scale beadlocks.

Im aware of the ability to 'feel' torque. Im a mechanical engineer by trade.

Each to there own really. Ill be sticking with my trusty screwdriver until futher notice :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

On 8 January 2016 at 10:12 AM, TMaxxDave said:

I can honestly say 'no' ive never done 4 or more large scale beadlocks.

Im aware of the ability to 'feel' torque. Im a mechanical engineer by trade.

Each to there own really. Ill be sticking with my trusty screwdriver until futher notice :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Haha... If you had done four or more in one session, you wouldn't be sticking to your trusty screwdriver....  It's the 21st century and a little bit of battery powered assistance is quite useful! :) 

• Like 1