• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

advice on wheel transmitters

james.1020

Hi ive just started to get back into rc cars after 16 years and need some radio gear, in my day everyone used stick  transmitters but now days it looks like wheels are they way to go anyway all i want is a basic 2.4 ghz radio set up dont need lcd displays or 10 model  memory  So far the 2 i like the look of are the absima cr2s and the kyosho syncro kt200 so are they any good or can someone recommend a good alternative?

The Tactic TTX300 is the same price as the Abysmal CR2S but gives you an extra channel to play with should you want to add an extra feature down the line.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tactic-rc-ttx300-3-channel-slt-radio/rc-car-products/388540

If all you want is a basic 2 channel wheel set of good quality, the Spektrum DX2E might suit, as it is a step up in build quality from the Flysky, Abysmal and similar sets, but is a lot cheaper than the high-end sets from KO, Sanwa and the like.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/spektrum-dx2e-dsmr-surface-radio-w-sr310/rc-car-products/395970

There is of course no need to switch to wheel if you prefer stick. This Futaba stick set looks well-made and doesn't cost the earth.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/futaba-t2hr-2ch-combo-2.4ghz-fhss-dry-r202gf/rc-car-products/395863

I don't own any Absima sets myself but I have installed a good few in models built for others. Quality is what one would expect from the price - you get what you pay for.

Hee hee - just noticed that my tablet auto-corrected Absima to Abysmal. The quality isn't that bad really.

I ordered this one:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-code-2.4ghz-3-channel-fhss-lcd-stick-combo/rc-car-products/38217

as I am not into these wheel radios. One came with my RC and I just can't get the hang of it. It's very sensitive and I find my left hand sometimes moves around and then this changes my steering, I also think they are pretty uncomfortable with me constantly wanting to rest it against my body. I guess it's just what you are used to.

Anyway. I am fairly happy with it. For the price you get an extra channel which is useful for lights or just other odds and ends. The sticks feel pretty good and have metal tips which was a big draw for me. Not as nice as my old MHz Futaba but for the price I am happy.

The only draw back I would say is there is no build in failsafe. 

It's worth remembering even with all the extra settings you don't have to use them, but if you buy a radio without you will not have the option to in the future without laying out again. I also a big believer in the more options you have more excuses you can use for your bad driving...oh my EPO is set wrong...oh my throttle curve is set wrong...oh my [insert], works every time ;) 

21 hours ago, james.1020 said:

Care to show me these good stick  radios mate? 

I may have been lying about them being cheap, good and basic. However:

8 hours ago, coffeecup said:

I ordered this one:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-code-2.4ghz-3-channel-fhss-lcd-stick-combo/rc-car-products/38217

as I am not into these wheel radios. One came with my RC and I just can't get the hang of it. It's very sensitive and I find my left hand sometimes moves around and then this changes my steering, I also think they are pretty uncomfortable with me constantly wanting to rest it against my body. I guess it's just what you are used to.

Anyway. I am fairly happy with it. For the price you get an extra channel which is useful for lights or just other odds and ends. The sticks feel pretty good and have metal tips which was a big draw for me. Not as nice as my old MHz Futaba but for the price I am happy.

The only draw back I would say is there is no build in failsafe. 

It's worth remembering even with all the extra settings you don't have to use them, but if you buy a radio without you will not have the option to in the future without laying out again. I also a big believer in the more options you have more excuses you can use for your bad driving...oh my EPO is set wrong...oh my throttle curve is set wrong...oh my [insert], works every time ;) 

That core rc radio looks excellent for the price, good features that you can always use in the future if not straight away. Fail safes are for wimps- most half decent escs will cut the throttle if there is a loss of radio signal ( may or may not be lying again ).

7 hours ago, jordan_bench10 said:

Dx6i pretty much best bang for buck radio I found copy receivers can be found for less than 8 a pop. 

I too use the DX6i for both my trucks and buggy- modified so that the left stick is sprung and only goes up/down, no left/right movement- did the same thing ( but opposite directions ) for the right stick. Crab-steer on a TXT-1 is lots of fun...

It varies from TX to TX but is seldom too hard to do. The main challenge is usually getting hold of the appropriate spring and cam to fit in place of the ratchet.

It looks like OP has found a solution.

But to extend this thread, i've got a very similar requirement. but with a key addition, it must have EPA, end point adjustment (not dual rate) on the steering at least. As on mardave the wheels will hit chassis otherwise/servo strains.

Ideally would want 4 AA's. & affordable option for extra RX's

What have you got?