• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

So I went and poked around in a Dutch model shop. They had one out in the store to look at but they haven't got any in stock to sell, all were sold as pre-orders and aren't doing any more pre-sales. 

It's big, especially when you start looking at individual components it seems massive, as a truck all together it somewhat loses it's largeness, I guess that is a testament to the truck as a whole looking the part. Axel to axel is isn't actually a massive amount longer than the E-Maxx. A lot of the promo pictures show a size comparison from the edge of the tyres which, when the guy in the shop popped the wheels off really impacts it's size. The wheels are surprisingly light. The inner wall of the tyre is smaller than the outer, like a short course tyre. This means they are quite light for their size, all things considered. The weight is pretty central in the truck. The guy in the store said it drives well and for it's height doesn't grip roll. He didn't actually show me it running though (I will explain why in a moment). 

There is a lot of weight at the end of the a-arms, they get thicker towards the hubs and after he removed a shock I was..well, shocked (sorry) at the hub weight. There is some clever moulding that keeps the weight to a minimum with lots of strengthening lines, meaning that while all the weight is on the outer edge of the a-arm it's still not stupidly heavy but enough to cause some slight flex of the hub from the top a-arm being quite thin. 

His English wasn't the best and neither is my Dutch but the truck couldn't be shown running because of a crash. He stacked a jump nose down, the bumper broke to one side and impacted the suspension which in turn broke (at the bottom of the shaft) and it caught the shaft, breaking a pin, freeing the shaft which broke free at the wheel side due to the rotation force. While the suspension had been fixed there was still no front left drive shaft due to lack of spares. He said it was driver error as the jump was just too small for the X-Maxx and caused the rear to bottom out, flipping the truck forwards. According to another staff member the jump wasn't that high (4 or 5 feet), they figured the weight of the truck just doubles all the forces. 

They were happy with it but didn't expect a cartwheel to break half the truck, it is worth noting it currently isn't that cold here in the Netherlands but the truck was going flat out on 4s. 

Anyway, sadly I couldn't buy one as they didn't have any in stock. I am here for a bit longer so I am going to pop back and I did leave my number, so fingers crossed! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nick said:

If people are talking about Modelsport pre-orders they do NOT take payment from debit/credit cards until it is dispatched. However if you pay by PayPal, they do take the payment when the order is placed as it's effectively like a bank transfer and can't be authorized from their end like a card can. :)

That explains it, I just braved asking my mrs, and she confirmed nothings been taken yet :(

Ive got 10 days off from the 14th, so plenty of time to use it then I guess....

I'm off till the end of next week but no xmaxx to use! I'm hoping the delay is down to some nice upgrade shock shafts.... I've heard some guy has those nitride coated ones? After his both snapped..... :crying::crying::crying:

I have just completed a game of Despicable Me - Minion Monopoly with my 6 year old. We are off to the park now to play with his Traxxas Skully and new 2S 5800 Lipo hopefully it should last an hour. This combo should be a good race partner for the X-Maxx next week.

• Like 3

Hahaha the msg I just received from Hpi was a killer I'm still smilling [emoji2] .

I asked if there were any news regarding the xl flux release ?

Hpi : aw Danny the xl flux is a new model and will be showcased at the German model show 2016 !

Me : sadly I know it's a New/old model an had been looking forward to it's release, I've also come to terms that by the time it's released it will be already outdated by the traxxas X-maxx !

Needless to say they haven't replied

If I'm not mistaken the xl flux was first showcased at Nuremberg 2015 [emoji18] .

8 minutes ago, Basher 46 said:

Hahaha the msg I just received from Hpi was a killer I'm still smilling emoji2.png .

I asked if there were any news regarding the xl flux release ?

Hpi : aw Danny the xl flux is a new model and will be showcased at the German model show 2016 !

Me : sadly I know it's a New/old model an had been looking forward to it's release, I've also come to terms that by the time it's released it will be already outdated by the traxxas X-maxx !

Needless to say they haven't replied

If I'm not mistaken the xl flux was first showcased at Nuremberg 2015 emoji18.png .

if it is the same as the one in the picture  then what have they been doing all this time. lol

i think it was the 2014 show  which makes it even worse 

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

Whatever HPI come up with, I'll be surprised if it isn't tougher and more durable than this. I'm not saying this isn't fairly tough, but HPI won't forget past lessons, namely hardened steel crown gears, beefy dogbones etc. 

2016 could be an interesting year. 

Edited by Tug
  • Like 1

Dam!.... If hpi had come up with a competitor of the same size and price I'd have gone for that over the traxxas. Not because I think the xmaxx won't be good as I do!( hence me buying 1!)... But I've always wanted a savage series car... Might have to get both! Eeeeekkkkkk! 

:insane::mf_laughbounce:

Mauve just ordered 1 of these to blow my motor....

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_blower-2028.html

Edited by Ocdcbr
  • Like 1

Changed it now to castles site... A guy on urc has put it right over the motor heat sink after a bit of trimming it fits like a glove apparently... And looks good. 

1 minute ago, Ocdcbr said:

Changed it now to castles site... A guy on urc has put it right over the motor heat sink after a bit of trimming it fits like a glove apparently... And looks good. 

I've seen the results of someone ramping a Baja flux with one of those Castle Blowers, virtually every blade snapped off.