• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

4 hours ago, FatWheels said:

This chap has already upgraded motor and esc to 8S looks good if you like wheelies ...

http://youtu.be/sv1MaQqivJ8

Numpty!

Learn to drive first - then you can demo better.

Certainly shifts faster - love to see the driveshafts after a few weeks!

Al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coffeecup said:

Can I ask a stupid question related to MTs? Are Monster Jam a company who own all the trucks? Are they the same underneath? I just thought it was a tv show (although I have never watched it). I just always sort of assumed they just ran the competition and that the teams were kind of 'home grown'. 

When you watch individual episodes of MJ, you get the impression that they're totally different - certain drivers are 'fantastic mechanics who build their truck differently', ... BUT ...

I've just recently seen an episode of 'Girls Garage' (??) and they were at 'MJ's huge Headquarters - each team is there, but with their own separate hangar within the huge hangar.

I'm now confused.

Before you had Grave Digger  -  Son Uva Digger  -  Grave Digger Legend  -  Blue Thunder ... all vaguely related, and all using the same drivers, rotating.

Then there's Max-D, which also has other related trucks ...

One thing you will notice ... ALL BAR ONE TRUCK are REAR MID-ENGINED - engine behind the driver, in front of the rear axle.

ONE TRUCK is FRONT MID-ENGINED - like a Ferrari F12, FF, 550, 575, 599 - you get the idea - engine IN FRONT of the driver, BEHIND the front axle - GUESS WHICH ONE ????

MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION. It's apparently 'an old format', but one Tom Meents won't change from, and nobody else uses ... Is it Tom, is it the inherent balance / lack of balance of the truck?

Grave Digger have their own separate base, as well as this huge camp - unless all have now centralised.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/popculture/monster-truck-jam-headquarters-roars-to-life-in-palmetto/2156583

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Jam

Al.

these new videos are putting me off slightly, just because of how top heavy they are and how easily they fall over 

It's a Monster Truck, they do that. A few suspension tweaks should reduce its tendency to roll. Off-set rims and/or axle extenders will also make a world of difference. 

Axle extenders were one of the first upgrades I thought abt for this truck not only for the looks but for a bit of extra stability .[emoji2]

I've been reading the build thread on the Traxxas forum, that 2028 went in quite easily, although it's mostly zip-ties at the moment. I just feel that much torque will destroy the diff gears. It's not like it's spinning any faster, not by a great margin at least, but that motor will have no give in it at all! Not in a car that "light", he'll need to keep the slipper quite loose I reckon. 

The 2028 is simply a torque monster. It shifts badgers and 5ives with ease, true largescale is where it fits best IMO, having seen firsthand what it does to diff locker pins and 5ive centre drive cups and pins :lol:

I'll be annoyed if it's much faster than 30-35mph. I bought it cause it wasn't ridiculously powerful like the EREVO and Savage Flux. The greatest set up IMO for this sort of truck was the Savage Alpha Star on 4S. I'm hoping this is similar. 

Out of curiosity,  how heavy is a RTR Baja/5ive?

1 minute ago, sean-vrs said:

Using the cars in real life is always different, I thought I would want more power with the 5sc flux but I'm quite happy with it as stock

Yeah, until you drive a car, you just can't judge it. 35 will sound slow, but in reality it's quite quick for a car of this size. It certainly looks like it can accelerate quick enough! 

I'm currently running my Super 5sc Flux with an Xerun 150 Amp ESC and a Leopard 4082, 1600kv motor, geared 17/52. Plenty fast on 5S and silly fast on 6S.