• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project Beg Borrow Steal (and Ebay) Tarmac Buster

andyknight

So as the weather starts to close in and the usual grass/field bashing places get wetter and pretty muddy the group I bash with normally moves to a tarmac based location and switch from 5ive's to Baja's.  Now I have really fallen out of love with Baja's and have sold pretty much half of my old Baja over the last few weeks so there is no way I am going to build another on, I just hate working on that chassis.  So that leaves me with a choice of adjusting my current X2/Losi hybrid to work in a more tarmac focused way OR build another one specifically for tarmac.

Now I have a load of bits laying about from previous upgrades so I'm thinking why not try and build a 5ive on the cheap. After some pillaging delving into old parts boxes so far this is what I have:

gallery_36211_3991_213532.jpg

I need the following:
3 diff cases
clutch bell housing
diff cups
radio tray
shock towers
front and rear pinion gears
front and rear spur gears
Savox servo (something like a 0236)

I've just bought a set of x2 shocks for reasonable money and some tie rod ends off ebay and bidding on some front and rear losi hubs.  I reckon I'll have to buy most of the small bits but I want this to be a cheap build.  If anybody has anything they think might work on this then let me know via PM. 

I'll update this thread as I find stuff to continue the build.

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 2

Ive a rear diff/transmission case (big plastic bit) ?

Ant, I might take that off you depending on how worn the bolt holes are in my plastic one (just got shiny area rc rear gearbox case for the x2 so plastic ones are moving to this tarmac one).

After doing some sums and trawling ebay I worked it out it was cheaper to do a bulk purchase of most of the plastic items from RCModelz.  Having run my X2 for a while I have yet to see any difference between the Losi and KM plastics.
gallery_36211_3991_443799.jpg

I reckon Ash had lots of fun picking this lot from the stock room judging by his note lol.  Got a free mug as well :hahadance:
Edited by andyknight
  • Like 2

Starting to look a bit more complete now.

gallery_36211_3991_1093129.jpg

On the look out for diff and drive cups at the moment, the diff gears I've decided to buy brand new (losi sets) as there's no point installing worn out gear sets.  The idea of the build is to minimise costs, not build a car that breaks on the first run.
Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...