• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

problem with brand new DBXL

andy and dan

so ive bought a DBXL to go with our 2 5ive_t's and old school fg mauder so when i got it home i went to put the 1700 nimph battery on charge but my ten/rc charger didnt come with the correct lead so rang the shop and they made me a new leadand i went to pick it up and bought a second battery as well and as instructed by the shop put it on charge at 1 amp rate

6 minuets later it beeped to say charge complete so fitted to car checked throttle and brake then stearing all working as they should so took car outside for the first start as the second battery was charging

3 pulls with choke on and 2 pulls with no choke and she started and run really sweet

went to blip the throttle with remote and nothing check steering nothing

went to get second battery it had beeped after 6 minuets also and put it on car

it worked throttle and i drove car down drive 15 feet at most then nothing again car acting like battery is flat

rang the shop again and they said the batteries must of false peaked so i re charged both batteries aand managed to drive car to carpark at end of road ( 100 yards ) and do a lap and half of car park before loss of stearing and jummpy throttle responce

this happend 2 or 3 times with each battery rang shop for third time and took car back next day

they bound the dx4 from my 5ive t to the dbxl and all seemed fine so off i went to try and run it in car drove about 200 yards and lost steering yet again so back to shop where i have left both batteries for him to cycle severel times and i carnt pick them up untill tuesday

sorry for the long thread but does this sound feasable or have i been sold a wrong un

car is probbebly a few years old but was a display model and battery was still sealed in originel bag so this is also at least a couple of years old no way of knowing how old second battery is what should i do tuesday when i go back to shop to pick the batteries back up

the charger is fine as it chargers the 5ive t batteries fine

both batteries were charged again before i ran it and in shop showed 6.4 vlts and 5.9 vlts but he said they were flat and when hhe went to dicharge one he said he couldnt get anything out so he would cycle both for me on his all singing danceing charger

• Like 1

Me?...

And it might not be 'active' when the engine isn't running.

It's a weird interference issue with the aerial and the coil.. Apparently.

So it'd be worth actually just running the truck on something on the ground so the wheels aren't touching and then walk away from it without using the throttle or steering at all... See if it still does the same thing when it's not under any kind of voltage load.

this is what he did in shop he held model of the bench with engine running and the assistant walked to the other end of shop and all worked well and yes i think it was you that sergested spur gear on my 5ive t but it was a while ago and ive only just had chance to get it sorted as my wife has been very ill it was last may i think

Here it is, largest battery for stock lid:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34387

It's lipo though, is that a problem?

AJ is right, no owners ever use that stock pack, I never used mine once.

Edited by Bigjimknickers

Main difference are you need LiPo compatible servos, or at least the voltage anyway.

You also need to keep them at storage voltage so if a day is cut short, you'll have to discharge the pack down.

IMO a LiFe pack is a good alternative as well... Some are even smaller than LiPos and don't require any storage mode or anything.

I ran one in my Shorty, it was only an 1,800 and it lasted well.

When I was looking into them a few lads said they'd got 5 tanks of fuel from one 1,800 and it still had juice left, although you could always go for something like a 3,000 or even bigger to be on the safe side if you ever plan to go all day :P

An, they've moved from Halton then...

I know many members rate them, I don't in terms of technical ability....as in, my impression is that they don't always know what they're doing with electrics...

Hope you get it sorted anyway :)