• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can a heat gun minimise the pain of Nitro Starting?

sozerelli

Hi,

I have been in the background for a while I have owned a few nitro cars and ran into trouble starting them up and I got to a point where I gave up because it was so time consuming and went electric.

However I am now thinking would a heat gun be a good investment so I could start a nitro project without the pain of pulling a starter cord for 15 minutes with no reply?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure to use after run oil after every run. Just add a few drops after taking out the glow plug.

As you've already said heat and plenty of it. Make sure to heat the block and not the head.

Also if you're just getting tired of pulling the pull start. Then invest in a starter box. Although it would mean you'd have another thing to carry and charge and up keep on.

• Like 1

Any heat will help. I use a hair dryer if I'm at home, but if I'm driving to a bash then I'll stick the model in the passenger footwell and put the foot heater on! :)

Yes as said heat will definitely help....I used to use a bulb in a bean tin, now have a proper heater doodah but anything that will get the engine warm will help.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=385222&gclid=CNy_wqCKo8cCFQQXwwodbakKDA

Do they make that much difference to starting?

Yes....for a few reasons...

Firstly the carb. on these engines are very basic...ideally we want it set so that it performs properly when the engine is warm...

Secondly these engines use a tapered liner/sleeve...so when they are warm things expand....better to try starting somewhere near running temperature to reduce wear and stress.

Edited by Anthoop

This might be a good ghetto solution for those of us that drive. (I haven't got one so don't know how much heat it would put out)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281393413211&globalID=EBAY-GB

That will warm it to around 30 degree celsius if it is any good...not really enough but anything can be a help..the proper thing I linked will get over 50 deg/cel...with 12v...bulb in a bean tin can get it hotter.

That will warm it to around 30 degree celsius if it is any good...not really enough but anything can be a help..the proper thing I linked will get over 50 deg/cel...with 12v...bulb in a bean tin can get it hotter.

Yeah I did a tiny bit of reading after I posted that. I can't remember the numbers but it was something like:

Standard house hair dryer 2000watts

12v car hair dryer 150watts. Could probably get it hotter with my breath

No ghetto option unfortunately. A Makita cordless heat gun will set you back about

wish i had one when i first got my hyper 7 black, spent all day up a quarry out with models and i couldn't get it started at all as it was so tight, ended up using a hair drier when we got back and finally got the engine started in my garden lol

meh got a starter box now though :)