• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1st entry to 1/5 Petrol

capri-boy

Hi all, spent some time reading older threads first and now time for my own.

I'm fairly new back into the RC game, and planned to jump quickly into 5th Petrol with a KM002c late last year.  Budget was a large part of the decision for the KM, coupled with how well received they seem to be.  Unfortunately I blew the budget with a stupid accident with the 1:1 versus a metal post.  My foolishly large excess ate the 5th budget and then some, so since I've fallen back on converting older 8th Nitro's to brushless, though the largescale itch has never quite gone away, and i've been saving towards the km002, though the new b/l version has caught my eye somewhat.  With work what it is it's unlikely I'd have been in a position to purchase before the better weather fails us this year.

So, that's that, until today.  Without the boring details (mostly returning a 'favour') I've been offered a brand new Carson Attack 23cc rtr for what looks, to my unfamiliar eye, a good price.  I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could help with some info so I can make a decision.  It's new old RTR stock, and hasn't even been out of the box - all the warning labels etc are still attached, though I know I'll need a kill switch (and thus poss a new radio system).  My understanding is the Carson is a clone of the FG Marder (a chassis I know next to nothing of) and that may of the FG parts / upgrades will fit the Carson.  I don't plan on racing with it, it'll be mostly used for some offroad light bashing - ie racing round a field and no stupid jumping.   

What do people think?  Is it suitable for a 1st largescale petrol as a light basher?  I know FG's are expensive so is this likely to be to keep running? ie spares cost and availability etc?  Essential upgrades out of the box? (other than a killswitch and a better air filter) - i'm a hop it up when if it breaks sort of person.  Lastly what sort of price range would you expect for one of these?  I see used ones for

Ye mate large an small mounts ideally.

Tough little thing is the marder, my marder can take much more abuse than my quite heavily hopped up baja.;)

Ye mate large an small mounts ideally.

Tough little thing is the marder, my marder can take much more abuse than my quite heavily hopped up baja. ;)

Good to hear, as I've heard a lot of tell that the marders aren't really strong enough to bash with.  Thanks.

built right...they are tough enough. The clones vary in quality, but the Carson Attack is OK.

Most Fg patrs fit, but there are differences, especially in the clutch carrier and large engine mount. they use a different spacing to FG.

I have had a few, but do not like the diff assembly or the limited travel given by the balljoint mounts of the rear arms. The shocks were crude as well, and lacked the travel.

Overall, though, if you are looking to get into 1/5 on a budget, to a large extent....you have to buy what you can afford, and live with the shortcomings. I wouldn;t plough too much money in to the thing, but just use it to get a feel for 1/5.

Large engine mount for me was a must, as it helps stop hte motor sliding out of mesh. Also the bearings last better. I would also look at alloy fornt uprights, as the screws in top and bottom can tear out in a crash. That and a tuned pipe for the motor.

• Like 1

Good to hear, as I've heard a lot of tell that the marders aren't really strong enough to bash with.  Thanks.

Mate, my topstox is an FG Marder underneath, and you know the abuse we give those.

Do the engine mounts, make sure it has a layshaft brake, and it should be good for you.