• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soldering Tips

StokerGTi

Bought a Weller soldering iron and the tip it came with is useless, solder just seems to ball up and drop off. What tips do you guys use that are good for RC applications?

Any links appreciated.

Thanks.

Always clean the (hot) tip with a wet non-abrasive something (there are special sponges that do not melt, or you can just use a piece of non-synthetic rag/sock/whatever) and it should be shiny and willing to hold solder

http://gyazo.com/6409e17e967409353657f6c8a9b03a4c

tip it came with I didn't clean the tip before use, and it is dull not shiny.

I find the tip too big as well would prefer a smaller one but the genuine weller ones are

Edited by StokerGTi

If the tip is dull, it's not clean.

Let the iron get up to temp and tin the tip of the iron with a small amount of solder and wipe clean again. Should be nice and shiny now and ready for work. A clean, hot, tinned tip will transfer heat much faster than and dull one. Allowing you to complete your joint with minimal heat transfer to unwanted components. You also need the joint to be clean of grease and other contaminates. Also pre tinned.

I bought a Weller but it was faulty so opted for a gas iron and I wouldn't go back now. I have a solder pro 70 and find it ample enough for all Rc type soldering. There are many different tips available. Got mine from Maplins. 

So a new tip. 

yep buddy your not wrong its a pain , but not much to worry about.

its like a new pair of shoes, at first they are tight and fresh, but after a few hours they settle in.

this is just the same with our solder tips, we have to work them in. 

first off is let it get hot, i dont mean hmmm that feels hot..... im mean omg that burnt hot, so leave the iron

for at least 2-4mins. 

grab a old pair of jeans and cut a chunk out, now give it a good soak in water and wring it out.

thats your wipe pad sorted,

Now take the iron and put a little solder on the tip, it may ball up but dont worry, just let it get hot.

now wipe the tip of the iron on the nice damp cloth  its may sizzle and smell a little but should NOT burn.

let the iron heat up again and again solder the tip, it should now look a lot cleaner and the solder is starting to stick to the tip giving it a silver coating. 

Now if the above fails to happen and it keeps balling up we need to work the tip. turn off the solder iron and let the tip get cold.

take out some sandpaper and give the tip a rub down. use your damp wiping cloth to give tip a wipe then plug it in and reheat.

in about 4 mins your going to try to re-tin the tip, ie put solder on it. now you should find the tip where its been sanded starts to silver up with solder

congrats you just worked the tip and tinned it ready for use. 

after using the tip you MUST wipe it off to keep it clean ready for the next solder.

DO not use that rubbish pen flux stuff, go out and get yourself a tub of flux from ebay or likes. its like a waxy gunk, just dip the tip in

and dip your wires in when you want to solder , it cleans the tip as it burns away.

if you need to put flux on things like motor tabs, get yourself a cheap little paint brush and use that to brush some solder onto work.

• Like 1

The best way to clean the tip is to stab it into a ball of stainless wire wool a few times. I cable tied some to my solder station and never ever use a damp sponge. You can get stainless steel pan scrubbers from most pound shops.