• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

7 Cell NiMH to 2 or 3 Cell Lipo...

Derka

Hi,

I have a Helion Dominus SC10 V2 with the Radiant Reaktor brushless system (See sig)

I get about 8-12 minutes of run time (Lots of full throttle, large garden!) with the stock 3500 mah NiMH battery

I fancy a bit more run time and more punch/top speed.

Ive read that a 2 Cell Lipo would be similar to freshly charged NiMH for a few mins, but the power wouldnt tail off like NiMH.

3 Cell is more voltage, but im wondering if this would just make the truck uncontrollable?

My ESC is rated at 30a, 35 a peak, (Supports 2s and 3S with optional fan which is installed) so I I dont think id need any higher C rating than 20C as that would supply enough amps and any higher would be wasted as the esc wouldnt ever need more than 35amp?

If I got a 2/3S Lipo at 3500Mah I think I would get longer run times as I would be accelerating faster and wouldnt need to be at full throttle as much so a same mah rating would mean potentionally longer run times? I have been looking at 4000/4500/5000 mah 2 and 3 lipo batteries.

Any advice?

Thinking of buying from Hobbyking UK warehouse.

Ideally buy 5000mah upwards packs with a minimum 30-35c discharge, might sound on top of what you want but if you buy another car, chances are that lipo could be used in that too....

• Like 1

Motor draws current, not ESC. A pack must be able to provide a constant current greater than the motor demands, so that it can function effectively, and the pack can deliver the required current without being put under stress.

Gaz stated the rule of thumb lipo rule, 5000mah/30c minimum, giving a constant current of 150a (5000mah = 5ah, x 30c = 150a) and a good level of punch when you bang the throttle hard.

Your ESC is rated at 35a constant, the motor will draw less than 35a of constant current (being a combo, ergo matched to the ESC), so with 150a of constant available, everything remains happy and should work at its maximum efficiency.... as noted, you have a good lipo that could run an eighth scale set up (120a ESC) should the need for more powah grab you.

If you choose to run 3s, you must drop a tooth or two on the pinny (gearing down) to compensate for the extra voltage. Another RC rule ;)

If you don't have one, buy a cheap, I/r temp gun from eBay. It is essential to monitor the temps of packs, ESC and motor when making any changes to a set up, in your case, lipo over NiMH. Hooning around willy nilly without making sure nothing is overheating leads to failing motors (magnets rebinding from the rotor) and venting escs....avoidable for the sake of five minute runs, temp checking etc for a packs duration.

Hth

• Like 2

Simply put, yes. Less strain on the drivetrain too and lipos are a little cheaper ;)

To swap the pinny, you'll need to remove the motor...check the manual and the exploded diagrams to see what connects where, with a bit of luck and a fair wind, there won't be too many parts to remove to get access ;)

It looks fairly easy and I think the Helion website has different gears.

Think if I get a decent rating 2s it should make things better as it's a brushless motor running nimh?

The hobby king website lipo don't come with dean's connector. So that's something I'll have to get swapped at local hobby shop as they solder and my soldering isn't the best! Or I could pay a bit more and support the local shop and buy from them, save delivery charges etc.

Edited by Derka

For a 1/10th scale like the Dominius the rule of thumb is 2S for all round driving, 3S if you want POWAAA!!! On a track, the 2S cars actually tend to lap better because 3S just can't put the power down well.

Due to the lower internal resistance of the cells, 7.4V lipo's perform about the same as 8.4V NiMhs in terms of speed, but run cooler and longer. A 3500mAh lipo will give you around 20% longer run times than a 3500mAh NiMh.

That said, its always advisable to get the best lipos you can, and personally I wouldn't buy anything less than 5000mAh unless its a shorty pack (and then not less than 4000). It can't hurt, you gain additional running time and there is minimal price difference.

The better the C rating the more 'punch' (acceleration sort of) you get, and the less strain put on the pack. That means you'll get more cycles use out of a 50C pack than a 20C one in the same car, provided you don't  do anything else wrong!

2S lipo and you shouldn't need to worry about temps. However, it's good practice to monitor temps whenever you make a change, even if you think it's only a minor change.

Agreed, id also if it was me, id strip the gearbox apart and re-lube everything, RTR'S tend to run lean on lubrication and shimming of the diffs, being a 2WD, it should be a lot easier to maintain as everything should be rear mounted :) light

machine oil on the bearings too to keep those happy once in a while too.

Edited by NuttyProfessor

Hi

I'm new to the site and to electric cars. So any advise will help

I've got a nitro hyper ST and hyper 9

I'm am in the process of converting the ST to electric, so far I have ordered

losi battery box

Exrun 4274SD brushless motor and exrun 150A-SD esc

Spider centre diff

Centre diff top plate

I still need to order motor mount and batteries

Any help on what would be best for this setup would be greatly received ( makes and place to order)

Thank

Tony