• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

king motor evo

maiden939

My understanding of the KM chassis is that it is good as the HPI, provided an IRC under brace is fitted. 

Running into solid objects will kill any chassis, as will putting something like a Kraken in my hands however.....

Stock HPI arms and the like have proven as durable as RPM upgrades in my experience, I built mine hopped up and our lass' fairly stock as a comparison. Only replaced the front arms because the lower arm ball sockets had worn out, the arms themselves were still straight and in fine condition. No reason why stock KM parts wouldn't prove as durable....

The Baja is an utter pig to work on but what it takes in man hours are more than given back every time you switch on and nail the throttle. Love/tolerance more than love/hate :lol:

I've snapped HPI and KM chassis' both of which didn't happen to have a chassis brace on at the time.

My current Baja (which is very heavy) has an Innovative-RC under chassis brace and Turtle Racing front top plate and it's had countless beatings over the past 16ish months, I took the front end off the other day to remove my Kraken cage and the chassis is still in perfectly good nick and at the right angle, absolutely can't fault it as a chassis.

Hostile MX or Uber Vipers for grip.

As for the rest, having owned both and run both side by side (both petrol) I can say the KM is every bit as strong as the HPI.

I'm still using stock KM arms on my Baja and there's no signs of them needing changing yet.

Personally if I was to ever buy another Baja new, it would be a KM, not even for the price saving, but simply because they're a damn good buggy/truck.

Can't comment on the electrics, other than servos, still running the stock KM steering servo in my Baja but my throttle servo did burn out after about 10 months.

Edited by Oh How Original

20 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I've snapped HPI and KM chassis' both of which didn't happen to have a chassis brace on at the time.

My current Baja (which is very heavy) has an Innovative-RC under chassis brace and Turtle Racing front top plate and it's had countless beatings over the past 16ish months, I took the front end off the other day to remove my Kraken cage and the chassis is still in perfectly good nick and at the right angle, absolutely can't fault it as a chassis.

Hostile MX or Uber Vipers for grip.

As for the rest, having owned both and run both side by side (both petrol) I can say the KM is every bit as strong as the HPI.

I'm still using stock KM arms on my Baja and there's no signs of them needing changing yet.

Personally if I was to ever buy another Baja new, it would be a KM, not even for the price saving, but simply because they're a damn good buggy/truck.

Can't comment on the electrics, other than servos, still running the stock KM steering servo in my Baja but my throttle servo did burn out after about 10 months.

Thanks, seems a no brainer.... Now to decide wether its better than an Xmaxx....

If you're into air time, 1/5 isn't easy to correct once it's in flight. Despite its inherent flaws, the X-Maxx can be adjusted easily mid-flight. 

A Baja has proper running gear, very low maintenance. An X-Maxx has gears that're as weak as a kitten. 

Two very different types of machine, tough call, but I'd say 1/5 because they're not made by Traxxas. 

Just a few thoughts. 

It's JUST the 'look' I don't like, I mean what is a Baja? It just looks like a kit car, or something put together in a shed. I know there's an SC but that's out of budget, and I REALLY WANT A MONSTER TRUCK, that looks like a Monster Truck.  None of this wing business.

i must admit the HPI/Castle Baja is a lot cheaper than I thought?

The Hpi Flux is a steal, compared to the price it was originally retailed at. :lol: It still needs a few quid throwing at it though.....as does the KM....minor things to do with steering parts, limiting cables, shock seals, tyres and the IRC brace already mentioned.....

BTW, got my facts on the KM can incorrect, it is 960Kv, not 910kv. My bad. Apols. Etc.

The Baja in looks terms is meant to be a dune buggy/sandrail type affair.

It isn't really either though, it's a good base for a sandrail, but it isn't one, one of my biggest hates in this hobby is people who slap a cage on top of a 5B and call it a sandrail :lol:

But put that aside and you could always do a 5sc conversion yourself to save some funds.

Or build it up over time so it's not so much of a lump.

Or just save for longer and then get the 5sc.

Plenty of ways around the looks of 'em, that's if you decide large scale is for you.

Hostiles are around 35 quid a pair, zero growth foams around 40.....you can just belt the stock rear foams and tyres though ;)

SwingyP does well priced limiting cables, the steering parts are the threshold spring support and Darksoul ally saver...can't recall the cost I'm afraid, not mega bucks though.

Oh, and whichever you choose, the stock steering servo will crap out, so prepare for an upgrade....Hitec 5765MH is a good buy, around 55 quid. 

Too much grip on the BL is a bad thing....having a looser back end makes for much hilarity and helps protect the drivetrain.... Although I run the slipper clutch, HPI do not advise doing so and we've killed a spur or three on our lasses....

Personal choice as always though, innit!

1 hour ago, autobutcher said:

I think I'm glad that they are out of stock?? Otherwise Mr Visa would have been having a word!  

So am I, but rather worryingly, the HPI Baja Flux IS in stock..........

Edited by Guns

Glad to report that my KM Evo is still working fine and that I haven't used it since my last outing with Mike.

The parts that I have replaced are steering servo and servo horn and rear hub carriers(km alloy upgrades), 

I've got a set of Hostile MX tyres on white wheels as well as the standard wheels and tyres. This is how she looks at the moment.

Uber front bumper/chassis brace also KM shock covers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by tingtong333
Added something
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tingtong333 said:

Glad to report that my KM Evo is still working fine and that I haven't used it since my last outing with Mike.

The parts that I have replaced are steering servo and servo horn and rear hub carriers(km alloy upgrades), 

I've got a set of Hostile MX tyres on white wheels as well as the standard wheels and tyres. This is how she looks at the moment.

Uber front bumper/chassis brace also KM shock covers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

looking good!!...we`ll have to meet up again I thk for a bash.....:thumbsup: