• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas mini revo or savage xs?

100southin

2 hours ago, Madmini said:

Well it's cheep to maintain. Dead easy to work on. Capable skate park basher.

What do you want to know specifically ?

Just wondered if there tough enough for a moderate basher, fun, & don't topple over constantly? 

1 hour ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Just wondered if there tough enough for a moderate basher, fun, & don't topple over constantly? 

No not out the box and yes they love roof sliding almost as much as the xs if not more IMO 

Are you our looking for a small basher to keep in the van Jim ? 

Mine does spend a fair amount of time on its roof but mine is seriously top heavy so the centre of gravity is very high. If you get one replace the "green" springs with black or brown.

Shim the diffs and buy extra arms for it. Don't bother with rpm they snap just as much as the stock ones but cost 3x as much.

That being said mine is setup for jumping at the skate park rather than running on flat surfaces. It's a fun little truck. I have considered selling it a few times and always decide against it as its small enough to throw in a bag and jumps so very very well

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had the Revo 1/16 and an XS.

The revo feels smaller and lighter, like a mini truggy. Very short grass or tarmac is excellent, very tough and very fast. Due to its light weight you can do a million cartwheels and then get going again, the design in good being based on the larger revo, low center of gravity, long suspension arms and many options for tuning parts. I only ran mine of 3s and only ever broke parts like wishbones due to abuse, I dont think I had a drivetrain breakage however I always ran the center diff with very thick oil/grease to tame the wheelies and also offer some protection to the front and rear diffs. Being light the run times were very long on a 3s 1800mah.

The XS is and felt bigger and much heavier. The plastics are more ridgid, lot less flex, a big crash would result in broken parts. Crashes were more frequent due to higher center of gravity, very short suspension arms making for an unstable truck. I ran it on 3s and 50% of the time has a drivetrain breakage before I finished the pack. The fit and finish of the parts was poor, lots of slop and badly fitting parts (search for my build thread on the XS where I go into some detail with photos). No centre diff and all metal gears meant there was little give, the clutch was not really upto the job so it had to be run tight which defeated the object. I made lots of modifications before giving up and selling it.

A year or so on and I have bought another mini Revo because I miss the crazyness of it and laughs that I had running it. I wouldnt have another XS if you gave it to me :)

• Like 1