• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

2 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

So rear shocks upgraded. And a next load on its way. Have put a load of grease in rear diff. As it only have a very small amount in it. 

P_20170911_124500_vHDR_Auto.jpg

how you liking it so far? you took it out yet?

Hoping to get mine out over the weekend but i've got a feeling it's going to be a wet one! 

I need to sort the shocks out, particularly the fronts which are so soft the front is bottoming out under braking. I've read that this is sorted by putting the longer rear springs on the fronts and winding down the preload. Gona give it a try and report back!

• Like 1

It's been quite a while since it had a trip out, but I remember I was going to upgrade the original springs but in the end went for the gpm suspension upgrade with the orange spring, I cant remember which oil weight went in but it did do the job it'll still flex nicely without bottoming out, although tbf I do mostly run it on dunes and sand!

Took my Yeti out this morning for its maiden run.

Wow, it's completely different to anything that I have driven before. It spent more time on its roof then on its wheels :D.

The setup needs some tweaking. The rear end seems to be hopping up and causing the car to front flip. It seems to kick up from the back. I suspect the front shock oils are too light and the rear oil is too heavy. What do most people recommend shock oil wise for the Yeti?

Also some serious traction roll, this could just be my driven style or possibly the tires are folding over. I'll get the shocks sorted first and then see.

My parts from Atees are in the post. New metal body panels in the post. Upgraded tie rods coming this week. 2 sets of lights also coming this week. Paint for the heads and fuel cell. And possibly the roll cage.  If I have the time to take it all apart. Front springs coming. 

On 11/09/2017 at 12:52, Hell horn. said:

So rear shocks upgraded. And a next load on its way. Have put a load of grease in rear diff. As it only have a very small amount in it. 

P_20170911_124500_vHDR_Auto.jpg

You don't want loads of grease in a diff anyway, it should be just a light coating.

Packing it out only generates more heat and ultimately more wear and defeats the purpose of the grease being in there :P

A small tip for better handling, move the lower position on the rear shocks to the further back position.

5 hours ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

Took my Yeti out this morning for its maiden run.

Wow, it's completely different to anything that I have driven before. It spent more time on its roof then on its wheels :D.

The setup needs some tweaking. The rear end seems to be hopping up and causing the car to front flip. It seems to kick up from the back. I suspect the front shock oils are too light and the rear oil is too heavy. What do most people recommend shock oil wise for the Yeti?

Also some serious traction roll, this could just be my driven style or possibly the tires are folding over. I'll get the shocks sorted first and then see.

Firmer foams in the tyres really help with traction roll, the above tip also should, moving the rear shock locations.

It's really a vehicle designed for loose surface and light jumps.

I believe my shocks are 30 in the front and 50 in the rear, I also have the firmest springs on both, Crawler Innovations foams and it handles really well.

Still jumps big like a pig, but it'll do smaller/lighter stuff very well.

It's never going to go massive on jumps and be consistently able to land well.

Locked rear diff makes sure of that lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

You don't want loads of grease in a diff anyway, it should be just a light coating.

Packing it out only generates more heat and ultimately more wear and defeats the purpose of the grease being in there :P

A small tip for better handling, move the lower position on the rear shocks to the further back position.

Firmer foams in the tyres really help with traction roll, the above tip also should, moving the rear shock locations.

It's really a vehicle designed for loose surface and light jumps.

I believe my shocks are 30 in the front and 50 in the rear, I also have the firmest springs on both, Crawler Innovations foams and it handles really well.

Still jumps big like a pig, but it'll do smaller/lighter stuff very well.

It's never going to go massive on jumps and be consistently able to land well.

Locked rear diff makes sure of that lol.

Thanks for the tips. I've done some reading and I think I need firmer springs in the rear. I'm also going to pick up some variable rate pistons. I hadn't thought about moving the shock location, will give it a shot too.
Once I've done all the above I will see how it handles. If it needs new foams I will have another look, they do seem pretty firm at the moment.

35 minutes ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

Thanks for the tips. I've done some reading and I think I need firmer springs in the rear. I'm also going to pick up some variable rate pistons. I hadn't thought about moving the shock location, will give it a shot too.
Once I've done all the above I will see how it handles. If it needs new foams I will have another look, they do seem pretty firm at the moment.

Are they just the standard foams you have currently?

Mine are pretty much solid, it might seem counter effective to what a foam is supposed to do, but honestly, it makes a night and day difference.

With the upgrades on mine, it's also slightly heavier, which makes it a bit more planted.

I still have standard shocks and pistons in mine though, just thicker oil and firmer springs.

If you add just firmer springs, it'll just bounce.

Thicker oil is also a must, in my opinion :good:

Yeah, the foams feel firm but not solid. I don't know if they are standard as the wheels are Proline beadlocks (bought the car used). I have read that the variable rate pistons works really well in the rear (Slower rebound and faster compression). Just looking for the firmer springs at the moment, blue front and rear. Will definetely do thicker oil too.

Edited by monkeyboy_uk

The Summit has some of the weakest shafts I've ever come across personally, my friends snapped 3 in a single run, doing light stuff :lol: he went with MIPs!

The stock ones work well, I broke an SSD one in a single run as well, so went back to stock which is the same one I had on from the start.

I can't remember the exact foams I have in, already I am using different tyres too, they work well, considering what they cost me.

The foams made the biggest difference to it overall though.

33 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

The Summit has some of the weakest shafts I've ever come across personally, my friends snapped 3 in a single run, doing light stuff :lol: he went with MIPs!

The stock ones work well, I broke an SSD one in a single run as well, so went back to stock which is the same one I had on from the start.

I can't remember the exact foams I have in, already I am using different tyres too, they work well, considering what they cost me.

The foams made the biggest difference to it overall though.

Blimey I haven't broken any on my dewalt summit running 4s.

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Shocks have been moved already. And diff grease has been sorted out now. 

12 minutes ago, stretch said:

Blimey I haven't broken any on my dewalt summit running 4s.

They seem very hit and miss.

Like most Traxxas stuff really, but yeah, first outing, it did 1, second outing it did another, third outing it did 3 in one go lol.

Only basic trailing too, nothing too extreme, our Axials survived the same terrain anyway.

My yeti as I said runs gpm shocks and springs for tarmac and surfaces I don't want to ruin the super swamper tyres, If I run with the standard rtr tyre It will grip roll like a goodun in that set up however as oho said they are really setup for running on loose surfaces where in my opinion they do come alive! For diff grease I use marine grease and only a small pea sized blob spread over the diff gears both front and rear however in the front diff case I use 20,000 cst silicone oil this allows it to perform like a limited slip diff giving both grip when you need it and the ability to turn reasonably tightly unlike a fully locked diff.

In terms of drive shaft I went with gpm from Asia tees, I did have one issue with it seezing up at the front uj that was due to it rusting probably my fault in lack of maintenance after a beech run, apart from that I'm very pleased with it, I've probably had it 2 years now from new as an rtr model and upgraded probably far to much in most people's eyes but hey its fun and I like shiny.

20170630_195103.jpg

It did also used to run a top cad rear axle which was frankly terrible, it supposedly had hardened gears but sadly that wasn't the case first axle lasted 3 runs and the replacement about 4 after I shimmed it. I've now reverted back to the axial unit with HD gears and beef tubes and metal lockers, so far so good!

Edited by shaunm
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, James1986 said:

Look great Shaun! I've got a pair of the blue (super firm) springs for the front shocks on the way from Tower. Hopefully sort the fronts bottoming out a bit!

Should do, if I remember correctly I was going to go with the axial green spot front springs prior to getting the gpm units.

So after almost 2 weeks. My order from atees.com turned up When I was at work today. So 8 hours later I get home. Do all the house work as quickly as I could. Then pizza hut pizza and chicken wings for tea. And set about fitting all the new parts. Plus a free keyring from gpm. So that's nice. All fitted. Just need to get my new turn buckles now to set the wheels in line. As they are a bit off with the new parts. But they should be with me this week. And my metal body panels next week. And then upgrade the rear end next. 

Edited by Hell horn.

Thanks. Might do a bit more work to them when I have the time. 

Harder longer front springs installed. Loads better.  

My new body panels are now in the UK. So that's nice.

And the next order from Atees.com is on the way. 

Shock parts arrived. Frustrating evening trying to change oil.

The shock diaphragms don't seem to fit that well. They don't seat in the cap or in the shock body. Once tightened down, they fold and then fall into the oil.

One of them has a split anyway so I will need to buy new ones. Any ideas on why im having such an ordeal? The diaphragms look to be the standard ones.