• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Done to death but here is mine - Savage

DannyP

I like it, a Savage is meant to look a bit crazy :)

:xd:  Sure does look crazy.

Got some new LiPo's for it so will get those soldered up Friday. The Zippy's I use in my Firestorm didn't seem to happy after a run so got some Turingy blue 40c to try. Hopefully fire it over some jumps and get it filthy the weekend. See if I can get a little vid this time.

Thanks Harvey

:lol: First dibs is yours ;)

Doubt I will go back to flying anytime soon. Got back into cars to get Jude involved, he loves it and has taken to it really well. Got a Firestorm on the way for him.

who is that firestorm for when you bought it few weeks back?

That was mean't to be for me and my 3year old son (Jude) to share but it is a little to fast for him, on 3s. So got a brushed one for him. Should be here tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Savage has not moved for a while after this happened to my ESC.

IMG_0105_zpsy49xblku.jpg

The XeRun's replacement.

IMG_0118_zpsnmxtouel.jpg

Some brainstorming needed to get it fitted securely but plenty of time as I have no wheels of tyres for it atm. I've had a set of wheels on backorder at MS for a while, need to chase them up and then decide on some new rubber. Maybe a new shell as well.

Edited by DannyP

• 2 months later...

Savage has been sat looking sorry for it's self for a while. Even tho I have only put around 10 packs through it, it required some attention. Massive jumps and real nasty landings resulted in battered plastics, shell, bent screws and driveshafts also the ESC caught fire.

So a little rebuild has began with most of the plastics being replaced and screws changed for A4 grade bolts.

20150728_135201_zpslgrbyi1t.jpg

20150728_135645_zpsdvbhorlj.jpg

Here is all I managed so far. Cleaning and checking parts as I go. Some fettling required to get the RPM's smooth with no binding. The result is zero slop.

20150728_164449_zpsibcmkuui.jpg

Not sure what upper arms to use tho? Have a choice of 0 degree and -2... Any input would be much appreciated.

Edited by DannyP

I went through the exact same procedure about 2 months ago, I have still only been out with it once :( and even then I snapped two axles within the first minute :(

I will hopefully be out with mine this weekend :D

The RPM's do have an awful lot of binding when first fitted, I took to them with the file and dremmel during my rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowly I have made some progress.

I was looking to replace the bulkhead braces with the Alza braces used for the servo plates but not stock and a suggestion from Wrighty to go with the Integy braces I got those. Also a new pinion as I got the grub screw stuck in the other one :doh:

20150729-155010.jpg

Stock driveshafts vs IRC shafts.

20150729-091911.jpg

Alza bulkhead plate and Integy brace fitted.

20150729-190606.jpg

Had to remove material from the shock mounting points on the RPM's give clearance for the IRC driveshafts.

20150729-190733.jpg

Front end almost done, went with -2 degree upper A-Arms. All new bolts and step screws.

20150729-190526.jpg

Edited by DannyP

Doubt it will get more than dusty now, this will end up a dry weather runner only ;)

I am geared 14/52 and had no heat issues at all. That was with Big Joe 2's as well. Although I haven't done much running in the warmer weather. You know the score, all depends on drive style, terrain etc...

Rear.

20150804-151040.jpg

Instead of using zip ties for the hinge pin retainers I have used the turnbuckles from the upper A-Arms and rod ends from the steering linkage. Bit of drilling and reaming required but should keep the retainers from wandering sideways.

20150804-151105.jpg

Edited by DannyP

• 2 weeks later...

Beefy! Never heard of F-max!

Neither had I, just stumbled across them. I have a bit of binding due to the larger rod ends. Bit of tinkering required. Not had the chance to do anymore but hope I can find some spare time this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress.

Trenchers on F-11's. Finished glueing them now.

20150917-183156.jpg

Swapped to an alloy servo horn.

20150918-102918.jpg

ESC soldered and programmed(I think...)

Bez printed me a nice mount for the MGM. All secure and a perfect fit. Awesome service from a top bloke :yes:

Added cable braid to power cables on ESC and servo.

20150917-182600.jpg

Also motor wires.

20150917-182838.jpg

How it sits now.

20150918-110257.jpg

IRC rear center driveshaft added.

20150918-110327.jpg

Edited by DannyP