• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Old lipos

adefirestorm

Bucket of water, half a cup of salt, mix then let the lipos soak in the solution for at least 48hrs.

The salt breaks down the chemicals and makes them inert so they can be safely disposed of in the household waste.

Nope but it should be salt water rather than just water.

That is supposed to have the same effect as discharging them although I beleive you do have to score the individual cells to get the salt water to penetrate them for it to work.

Don't score them, they'll go up in your face.

Drain them flat with a car lamp, then salt Bath to corrode the tabs, then bin.

Nope but it should be salt water rather than just water.

That is supposed to have the same effect as discharging them although I beleive you do have to score the individual cells to get the salt water to penetrate them for it to work.

Yeah, score a LiPo cell?! O.o really?

Hence that part of my statement which no one obviously bothered looking at  :whistling:

salty water for a few weeks.  even charged ones will be fine  i have done it to loads without any issues.   also last summer i put a hole in all the packs that had been in soak and nothing happened to any of them.

At what point do you decide a cell needs disposing of? The reason I ask is that I have a nano tech has a lazy cell. It lags behind the other cell by some .2-.8v and discharges quicker than that cell. For the price of them, and liability factor of it sending one of my trucks up in smoke, I think I might just dispose of it.

At what point do you decide a cell needs disposing of? The reason I ask is that I have a nano tech has a lazy cell. It lags behind the other cell by some .2-.8v and discharges quicker than that cell. For the price of them, and liability factor of it sending one of my trucks up in smoke, I think I might just dispose of it.

Two of my 4s's tend to have pretty un-matched cells when they're discharged.

One can be as low as 3.4v while another is 3.7 lol.

Provided it isn't puffy, or very soft, or getting very hot, personally (just my opinion) I'd continue to use it.

Cells sometimes just aren't perfectly matched, especially (I've noticed a 'trend' with mine) when they're in a faster model were the battery is under more pressure and discharging faster.

Again, that's purely my opinion, it's probably wrong, but as of yet, I've not had a LiPo fire, or had to dispose of one.

• Like 1