• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Schumacher Rascal Mini Truck,anyone got one?

smallman28

^^^ What he said! Whats the reason its being sold after only one run? I'd be a bit suspicious about anything like that, bearing in mind that your first use should be break in at no more than 1/4 throttle at most, so not the most fun you can have with the car!!

Well i finaly got to run my rascal with the 2 speed in the dry today and all i can say is wow.When it changes into second it takes off like a rocket :good:

I took mine off,70% of the time it wasn't shifting :confused: I might put it back in at some point and have a fiddle,I got fed up messing the other week and just wanted to use the car so I took it off.

Mine was shifting everytime once the engine was warm enough.If the engine wasnt warmed up it wouldnt change but once warmed up it was fine.Hopefully it will stay like that :)

I read somewhere that Schumacher admit there is a problem with some 2 speeds,apparently the spring that operates the 2nd gear clutch isn't working in some cases.

I have to admit the one on mine is over a inch long and there is so much tension it must be stopping the 2nd gear clutch engaging.

Its strange how mine worked on a few occasions though,I will stick with the single speed for now,at least that is reliable.

Missus got me a rascal for Christmas and It's great. Only problem is with receiver batteries. Being new to this is about 4 runs good enough with normal AAA'a Or is it something else? Anybody had this problem other than me. Seem to lose the signal and then it sort of comes back! Shouldn't need a failsafe as the return spring seems fine. Will try and put up some pictures and video soon! Neil

Missus got me a rascal for Christmas and It's great. Only problem is with receiver batteries. Being new to this is about 4 runs good enough with normal AAA'a Or is it something else? Anybody had this problem other than me. Seem to lose the signal and then it sort of comes back! Shouldn't need a failsafe as the return spring seems fine. Will try and put up some pictures and video soon! Neil

I have rechargables in mine and I only do 4-5 runs before re-charging them so I dont know how long they really last,I wouldn't like to do more than 5 runs though just to be on the safe side :D

I may have found the problem with my leaky exhaust, is there meant to be a grub screw in the back of the can, where it is supported by the metal rod to the chassis? If so mines gone awol.

Also going to pull it apart today and try to clean the diff up properly, its got to the point now where it is really stiff, almost locking the diff. Not good really!

I may have found the problem with my leaky exhaust, is there meant to be a grub screw in the back of the can, where it is supported by the metal rod to the chassis? If so mines gone awol.

There is supposed to be one,I have lost several so far :D

I realy dont like that exhaust.I tryed to seal mine with exhaust gasket stuff but it still leaks.The whole of the back and bottom of the car was covered in the stuff thats coming out of the exhaust.It was even making my one way bearing slip :angry:

if you bought the early version (not long after it came out) then there was a problem with the exhaust on them and the setup was really bad.

but, schumacher did solve the problem and now if you get the newer version, all is fine.

Since I sealed it the first time I had to take the exhaust off twice and both times when I have put it back on it hasn't leaked even though I haven't re-sealed it :o

I did use instant gasket stuff when I did mine,its the orange silicone type stuff which stinks :D

I think mine still works as even though I have took most of it off the O ring that is in the exhaust itself is still held in with remains of the sealent and that extra bit of thickness seems to be making a good seal still.

Taken it all apart tonight, not very pleased really! From what i could see, the dust cap over the hex screw was installed upside down. Not sure what impact that would have, but it would appear also that one of the dust covers was not clicked into place properly, which has allowed ingress of grit into the grease.

The next problem is i can't undo the diff to clean it out, there's a grub screw in one end and a hex head the other, but they both seem rediculously tight. If anyone could shed any light on it for me, or if i'm missing something, i'd really appreciate it. Can't afford £30 for a new diff right now, but i may try to send it to Schumacher to see if they'll replace it.

Well Impressed! Its not often you get genuinely good customer service, so i'll tell everyone about this! Being the impatient bugger i am, i rang Schumacher this morning, and spoke to one of their engineers. I told him the problem, and he said "Hmm, thats unusual. Whats your adress, i'll chuck one in the post to you, with a stamped up jify bag. If you can send your old diff back, we'll be able to work out what was wrong."

They even offered to pay for the truck to be sent to them for the diff to be fitted! (But i'll do it myself and save a bit of time).

I really am pleased with Schumacher, as i say its not often, and not enough people praise companys when they're very good, so here it is!

Thanks Schumacher!

Edited by matt_green84

I've always bought schumacher stuff from my touring cars to my rascal and they have always been good, i like their website aswell, not every make of car can you get spares directly from them and for models they havn't been selling for more than 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...