• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

On my last trail day I decided that my front shocks were too soft. I got good ride height out of them, but they just compressed too easily, so I've switched them to the next firmness up (yellow) and still kept the 90mm that usually go on the rear.

The ride height looks ok, but i won't know about how well they fair properly until i take it out and test it.

P1030305_zps39a6dc81.jpg

P1030307_zps27df09b6.jpg

P1030309_zps7d4c4d78.jpg

P1030311_zps14b81aa6.jpg

I also took the opportunity to re-oil them all, and when I took one of the front ones off it was sticking when being cycled. At first I thought it was a bent shock, but when I stripped it down I noticed tiny alum filings in there causing the piston to bind! I think it was from the alum caps that I have, it must have had some loose shavings or something. Cleaned it all out and it works all right again.

P1030303_zps79750876.jpg

P1030302_zpsee29ebb7.jpg

What oil weight are you using just found one of my rears leaking due to a poorly fitted diaphragm , the manual says 10cwt oil which seems a bit thin to me?
  • Like 1

Yeah stock is 30/10 for the front and back respectively. I run 40/30.

Thanks was thinking 30, going to give ms a ring tomorrow to see about warranty the gland had pushed down into the top of the piston not sure if its damaged the rubber lip, refitted it over the top of the threaded shock then screwed the cap on as per the manual, it seems to have sealed but I have my doubts about its integrity.

That's not how to do it. You need to seat the bladder in the cap first. Then fill the shock close to the top and compress the piston. Then screw the cap down. The excess oil should spooge out as you tighten. I read that procedure somewhere on the axial site, and it does work.

Edited by Zombi

That's not how to do it. You need to seat the bladder in the cap first. Then fill the shock close to the top and compress the piston. Then screw the cap down. The excess oil should spooge out as you tighten. I read that procedure somewhere on the axial site, and it does work.

Did try it that way, its the normal way I would fit up a shock however that just pushed the diaphragm back into the piston, thats why I think the diaphragm is damaged,it did seem very rubbery and over sized! Edited by shaunm

Right, well that does sound like something's wrong then. In the past, I tried to use other brands of bladder, but none of them worked, they always leaked. So recently I bought two bags of the proper axial ones from RCMart.

Right, well that does sound like something's wrong then. In the past, I tried to use other brands of bladder, but none of them worked, they always leaked. So recently I bought two bags of the proper axial ones from RCMart.

Worth knowing thanks, as I said going to talk to ms first, I've only had it 2 weeks so hopefully they'll sort it! But if not then new bladders it is.

Sad times! Earlier today whilst doing some rig testing in my back garden, I ended up snapping one of my VP rear links!   :xd:

After posting some pics on the Yeti Facebook page, Dan W from VP said to email Vanquish the details and they'll get a replacement sent right out to me.

That's the second time the VP guys have been all over an issue for me. You just can't beat that level of customer service, and is why i'll keep buying their stuff - superb  :thumbsup:

E1v8Wg7.jpg
5En1wXl.jpg

Edited by Zombi

After seeing a horrendous video on FB where some guy's RC car shed burnt down in a lipo fire, I decided to get me one of these from the local army surplus. I'll put a couple of holes in it as vents then keep it in the garage.

I keep having flashbacks to the video of the poor guy's molten RC cars on shelves. Not cool.

KpyWRW9.jpg

Edited by Zombi

So the chaps at VP came through - received the replacement rear link this morning, plus they sent some decals too, win!  I'm going to look into having some steel versions made by a guy on the scale & crawler FB page so I have some backups should this happen again.

Is anyone on here capable of replicating these at all, either in stainless steel (preferably A4) or titanium?

u5R6AfU.jpg

Edited by Zombi

My friend in the US came through for me, and rather than $45 shipping CI wanted to hit me for, getting these sent over by her only cost me $14!

8m6vTXg.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

sure is handy having friends in the US, my mum has a couple so it helps if I ever need anything from there if the company wants lots for shipping or if you want something sent as low value to not get hit with customs tax

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 1

And another stash of goodies from RPP, half for me, half for CrusherJay!  He's got 2x Currie axles for his wraith; one centred, one offset.

I'll get some detail pics of my stuff being installed in the next day or so.

IVZPcOn.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Installed the CI Deuce's Wild tonight. The difference is immediately noticeable, there's no way these things are going to allow tyre wall collapse in corners. I do think they'll hinder my crawling ability though as they're firm, but we'll see about that.

And now for the pics!

A couple of the old foams. You can see they're pretty knackered up and ready to be thrown out. As I have vented my tyres directly and I spent a fair amount of time going through water, these things have been soaked, and were still wet from my run a month previous.

hjTp2rS.jpg

Despite being pretty stiff, the new foams were actually pretty easy to get in there, and they fit perfectly inside the Voodoos.

DQMs1Do.jpg
f9vSmKY.jpg

The Carter Fab 1.250 cans also fit very snug into the centre of the foams - there's no way they'll slip around in there as I read might happen earlier in the week.

l7Cb7HN.jpg
Sxjwtbq.jpg

And finally all put back together. All I need to do now is give it a spin at the weekend and see how the new foams perform. Keep your eye out for a full report!

dmrPCjj.jpg
uRwDDkO.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Yea in the Wraith, I've noticed no ill effects to my crawling, they really have helped since Ive stuck the Pro4 in, I had Iroks on her before and they were get pulled all over the place with the extra torque

• Like 1

Aye two things.  Because I couldn't remove the board from my Savox once I'd took the bottom plate off, I put a lot of CX in there using a small painting brush, made sure I got all the electronics covered. Secondly, I tool the top off to reveal the gears, packed it to the rafters with marine grease and re-sealed.

It's worked great so far.

Edited by Zombi

An update from today's trailing. So the new foams are good, I really like them. They have made a negative difference in my crawling ability, but not a huge one, and not enough to make me not want to use them.  Over all, a big thumbs up!

I somehow snapped another VP rear link after a bit of a tumble, it made an all-mighty snapping noise and ended up thrust into the ground. Email sent to VP Support, we'll see what they come back with. In the meantime I've asked CrusherJay to see into making me some steel versions as back-up, because losing this one today put an end to my day out and off home I went.  I'm now out of action again until further notice :(

And it looks as though my servo saver mod took its toll on my bell crank eventually, so I'm back to using my GPM ally one but with no bearing to add preload. 

rDLIZiu.jpg

Edited by Zombi