• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Galaxy S5 vs Xperia Z2

catalin4u24

Galaxy S5 or Xperia Z2  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick?

• Samsung Galaxy S5
    • Sony Xperia Z2
    • I just want to see the results

I have no experience with the Xperia but can confirm that the S5 is an awesome phone. :thumbsup:

Thank you.

I have had the S3 and the iphone 5 but I now want something more up to date and I chose these two mostly because of the screens and the dust and waterproof 'ness :) 

This may sound stupid but I dont think specs are that important.

I am no Apple fanboy but I am now on my 3rd generation of Iphone whilst my partner has always had Android phones up to very recently when I got her a 5S, I found that although some of the Android specs were greater than the Iphones mine just ran faster all the time, even after a year of ownership the Iphone does not seem to slow down or crash, whereas Android phones are forever crashing and having to take the battery out to reboot it.

So I reckon specs are not the be all and end all.

After breaking my Galaxy S3 over a month ago (I was near end of contract anyway) , I got the Z2. Lovely piece of kit. The camera is pretty amazing and I love the slow mo features that come with it. (video editing on the go, ect)

I don't regret the choice at all.

Hasn't slowed up at all or had any problems. Bought the dock for it the other day, so no need to open the dust flap for charging.

Feel free to PM me if you have any queries about it though.

The biggest thing, is the difference between Sony and Samsung, having the change in general is nice (layouts, software ect) but it is still familiar being Android.

This may sound stupid but I dont think specs are that important.

So I reckon specs are not the be all and end all.

You're right. In the real life the specs aren't that important. But it's always nice to know the power is there, if or when you need it.

Android isn't yet as fluid and crashproof as the ios is, but it is still more generous overall.

The biggest thing, is the difference between Sony and Samsung, having the change in general is nice (layouts, software ect) but it is still familiar being Android.

How's the battery life on the Z2? 

I've heard it's better than the S5, is it true? 

You're right. In the real life the specs aren't that important. But it's always nice to know the power is there, if or when you need it.

Android isn't yet as fluid and crashproof as the ios is, but it is still more generous overall.

How's the battery life on the Z2? 

I've heard it's better than the S5, is it true? 

Battery life is good. I've been on the go for 14 hours played a few games here and there and currently at 61% left. I can't compare it to the S5 though. :/

whereas Android phones are forever crashing and having to take the battery out to reboot it.

Can I ask what android phones you were running? I hear a lot of people on tech forums stating android crashes but they normally have a biased agenda. Having been samsung for the last few years, I've not experienced more than 2 reboots, on par with mates iphones tbh and haven't needed to take the battery out since the days of my motorola running on version 2 (whatever name they gave it). It's upgrade time for me IF I can find something interesting else I'll keep the trusty S3 as it's never let me down yet. Okay, few apps have crashed but it's not common and quite often the poorly written ones.

I've always presumed reboots and hardware crashes were the preserve of the cheap androids as I've normally been premium. I don't see iphones being any more reliable than my samsungs and being mates with the IT manager, I know iphones can have problems like any other phone (multiple failures needing replacement) so I'll be sticking with android, unless I can be persuaded that windows holds something magical. If there's a manufacturer that suffers more than others obviously I'll stay away hence wondering where you experienced the problems. It's not a OS wide problem otherwise android wouldn't be at 80%+ market share so must be either cheap giveaway phones or certain manufacturers. At worst I'll wait to see what the S6 holds for us, having used samsungs for a while I can see why they sell more phones than anyone else in the world.

I know someone who's had to send back his sony 3 times (cant remember why now but it stopped working)

the battery can not be replaced/upgraded.

Dad has just got a s5 after having a s2 since release date.

the lg g3 is another competitor.

I know someone who's had to send back his sony 3 times (cant remember why now but it stopped working)

the battery can not be replaced/upgraded.

Dad has just got a s5 after having a s2 since release date.

the lg g3 is another competitor.

Whats the best thing about the S5? I know they're waterproof but is there any stand out feature that actually works in normal use?

It would be z2 every time for me, I had the original z and thought it was great and the z2 is much better again.

Can I ask what android phones you were running?.

Well I first had a HTC Hero and tbh that was probably my favourite of all my android phones, then a Samsung Galaxy S which was utter balls and I ended up giving it to my missus after a month of ownership, since then I have been on iPhones, but the missus then got a Sensation XE followed by a one x now a iPhone 5S.

All the android phones she had were brilliant at first but then got slow and glitchy every now and then apps would stalk and end up need rebooting or backing out to the home screen to start from scratch......I don't know what Apple do differently but on non of my iPhones have I ever had to do that.

From what I read, the only difference is iphones don't tell you it's happening, they sort themselves I believe. Whether that's true or not I'll never know tbh.

Appreciate the details on the phones, they are a bit older but surprised about the one x, HTC were on the list to consider so maybe not now.  :thumbsup:

I had a htc... it was ok but it went funny after 10months... would click another button to what I clicked... could not unlock it.

I want to try a Iphone out for a mounth and see if I get on with one but for now samsung has me.

Whats the best thing about the S5? I know they're waterproof but is there any stand out feature that actually works in normal use?

The camera focus, it's FAST!! I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, fantastic phone (upgraded from S3). 4k video recording is ace, just need to save for a 4k tv now so I can enjoy the videos I take. There is also a built in download booster which uses your 3/4g connection and wi-fi to download files a lot faster providing the file is over 30mb.

I compared both of them whilst in store sat and played with both phones for around 2 hours and came away with the S5, just seemed much more impressive in the hand and was quicker loading internet pages and the same apps.

God your alive!!^

I know right :lol: Welcome back Carl!

I'm in a similiar situation with this.Well my contracts not ending but with the o2 refresh/fast whatever scheme it's called you can upgrade.Currently to out buy my contract it's

The camera focus, it's FAST!! I've had my S5 for 2 weeks now, fantastic phone (upgraded from S3). 4k video recording is ace, just need to save for a 4k tv now so I can enjoy the videos I take. There is also a built in download booster which uses your 3/4g connection and wi-fi to download files a lot faster providing the file is over 30mb.

I compared both of them whilst in store sat and played with both phones for around 2 hours and came away with the S5, just seemed much more impressive in the hand and was quicker loading internet pages and the same apps.

Ahhhhh now you've made me think. Not really struggled with the S3 focus but 4k video does sound nice, even if I'm never going to have a 4k teev.............

Suppose I better look at 4g as well, forgot about that, even more expense!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

just to let you know the s5 isnt really water proof its more a splashproof phone whereas the z2 is a full on underwater phone

ive owned sonys and samsungs

xperia sp&t and s

and s2 s3 and note 2

id happily have either but I feel like samsung have slightly let us down on the s5 :)