• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

One more ST brushless conversion.

15 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

That's a great bashing video Jumper. Any damage to diffs/gears? It took many awkward landings really well.

amazingly not :D i have done a few sessions like that on 6s now and its held up fine diff wise. 

2 hours ago, Kukynas said:

how is the new wing mount? does it hold?

yeah its holding up fine so far :) the first one lasted a couple of years so i expect this one to as well. I havent run it that much since i put it on though because of the bad weather.

25 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

the original with wing mounted flex a lot, is it better with alu posts?

its stiffer, but for a wing mount idk if thats a good thing for a basher :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Kukynas said:

let's see ?

when this crazy weather stops i am going to take it to a new quarry someone recommended and give it a good beating :) These last 2 Sundays the weather has been rubbish 

11 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

I wish I could take mine out, hopefully it'll be ready in 2-3 weeks time...

luckily i have 5 rc's, so i normally have 1 or 2 that are running to keep me entertained while i work on or build up the others. 

• 3 weeks later...

destroyed again :D 

IMG_20190331_221317.jpg

IMG_20190331_221325.jpg

IMG_20190331_221424.jpg

IMG_20190331_221443.jpg

Broke the C hub and the bottom of the steering knuckle is fully stripped now :( Also my new shiny wing mount didn't last long, snapped the wing and the mount. :P 

6 hours ago, Nickarla said:

I’ve seen a few threads on other forums where the thread on these steering arms have stripped. Should be happening for how much they cost.

I've not seen many - usually where the screw had started to back out then pulled through once it lost enough contact.  Threadlocked and checked periodically I've managed fine.

If you don't want to risk it again the solution is hong nor X series pro knuckles - they use a captive kingpin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HongNor-X2-CNC-Steering-Knuckle-Arm-Hard-Coated-X1S-07-RC-WillPower-/311375452167

Image result for hong nor x1s-07

I still put a nut on the end of the screw on the end of the arm though.  Ignore the eBay price, if you want some to try i've almost certainly got some bnip / used ones.  Have a huge stash of HN parts and things never break.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kukynas said:

holy cow, did you enjoy it at least? ? , there's either something wrong with that mount or you are giving it hard time 

Yes I give it some stick. Mr dumperbash ain't got nothing on me! (because he normally lands the right way up) ?

7 hours ago, Nickarla said:

I’ve seen a few threads on other forums where the thread on these steering arms have stripped. Should be happening for how much they cost.

Everything breaks. No matter how much it cost ?. This was probably user error tbh. it's not like they cost me anything because they were on the car when I bought it, but of course I have to replace them now.

50 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I've not seen many - usually where the screw had started to back out then pulled through once it lost enough contact.  Threadlocked and checked periodically I've managed fine.

If you don't want to risk it again the solution is hong nor X series pro knuckles - they use a captive kingpin

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HongNor-X2-CNC-Steering-Knuckle-Arm-Hard-Coated-X1S-07-RC-WillPower-/311375452167

Image result for hong nor x1s-07

I still put a nut on the end of the screw on the end of the arm though.  Ignore the eBay price, if you want some to try i've almost certainly got some bnip / used ones.  Have a huge stash of HN parts and things never break.

Legend, yes they screws have backed out these before, so they were already weakened. 

If these fit in the hyper St C hubs and you have some spare then pm sure! 

56 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Yes I give it some stick. Mr dumperbash ain't got nothing on me! (because he normally lands the right way up) ?

Everything breaks. No matter how much it cost ?. This was probably user error tbh. it's not like they cost me anything because they were on the car when I bought it, but of course I have to replace them now.

Legend, yes they screws have backed out these before, so they were already weakened. 

If these fit in the hyper St C hubs and you have some spare then pm sure! 

I'm 99% certain they're a straight swap - I'll check but it may be next weekend at the outset - it's end of term at work so extremely busy.  Drop me a PM too or I will forget....If I get an hour to look through before easter hols I of course will - did you want bnip or used?  I'd need to check £ but new will obv be a little more.

42 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I'm 99% certain they're a straight swap - I'll check but it may be next weekend at the outset - it's end of term at work so extremely busy.  Drop me a PM too or I will forget....If I get an hour to look through before easter hols I of course will - did you want bnip or used?  I'd need to check £ but new will obv be a little more.

as long as the thread are ok i dont mind used :) 

That would be a lot of effort (assuming it even worked well enough with no binding etc) when you can just do the HN mod and know it works 100%. I had them on one of my old H7's and it was good to know it was fit and forget. Just needed to Dremel out a small notch in the c-hub for the nut and I was good to go.  Having said that I still have the hobao CNC knuckles in one of my other H7s and touch wood I've had no problems though I do check the screws every couple of runs.

The exact same problem occurs on my Ruckus and Blitz who both use rpm knuckles, soft plastic so never break compared to standard ones but always stripping out ?

On 02/04/2019 at 22:53, Nickarla said:

Could the knuckle be filed down to allow a small nut in?

I've heard of it being done - must have been extremely fiddly as tbh there's likely to not be much hub material left - so solving one problem to create another weak point.

• Like 1

tbh it doesnt need anything to retain it other than threadlock. The issue with mine is from when it was damage the first time it came out. The knuckle on the other side has been fine. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I’ve just found a ST truggy for sale local to me and was going to buy it and convert to brushless like you have,

i already have all electrics,

are parts still readily available? 

2 minutes ago, jjh23 said:

Hi guys, I’ve just found a ST truggy for sale local to me and was going to buy it and convert to brushless like you have,

i already have all electrics,

are parts still readily available? 

yes.