• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

One more ST brushless conversion.

Recently won a ST on ebay and set about converting to electric.

What I received.

IMG_4577_zps28ea680c.jpg

Had been stored in a garage and mice had gotten to it. Little blighters had eaten the fuel line and the rubber exhaust joiner.

IMG_4580_zps5b5dd1d1.jpg

Apart from a few rusty bits, it's in excellent condition.

IMG_4626_zps50725754.jpg

IMG_4635_zpsf6b8a111.jpg

A comparison against my old Thunder Tiger Mirage.

IMG_4620_zps7dcbc5e1.jpg

Came with a Dynamite .21 XPE engine.

IMG_5554-LREdit_zpsfe4a7cad.jpg

Noticed some gunk in the carb, so took it apart before seeing if it would start.

Pics here if your interested.

Looks/feels like it's had very few tanks as compression is a joke, took me forever to get it started. Two hairdryers malarky.

Didn't help me only having some weak 12v starter whee,l with the rubber wheel wanting to continuously fly off.

But it started in the end and made a vid of it running.

Checked the diffs before running, front and rear had grease, centre was a bit dry...

IMG_4650_zpsabee5cc4.jpg

Got some bearing oil from Hobbyking along with batteries etc.

'Leak proof'

IMG_4675_zpsf54bac5d.jpg

So stripped it down.

20140610_212244_zps0a584178.jpg

Whoever put it together, didn't put threadlock on a lot of the metal to metal joints, but did use permanent thread lock... on the diff case pinion gears.

TBH, I could have left them as bearings felt fine, but was determined to get the grub screws undone.

So first tried a soldering iron.

20140611_114150_zpsdef713e9.jpg

Which didn't work as wasn't hot enough.

So used a heat gun, when the gaffa tape is all nice and bubbly you know it's done.

20140614_190813_zpsjwy74e4o.jpg

A bit of collateral damage to the casing.. but got the grub screw out.

20140617_161842_zpsesilbaeb.jpg

While waiting for parts, I took the tyres off to strap them. Used acetone for a few of them then stuck the other two in the oven to see what was easiest, and tbh oven it is my preferred method.

20140616_181330_zps0hilftgz.jpg

20140617_151404_zps1tdikmlu.jpg

Tyres glued back on.

20140617_192136_zpskwo5ghyp.jpg

Emptied and refilled shocks with 45wt, will see how it goes, might go thicker.

20140618_150637_zpse01xnfte.jpg

Left it overnight for the bubbles to come out

20140618_150649_zpsavx4mpyd.jpg

Got some shock sox

20140621_145038_zpsifsoaehp.jpg

Diff oils, running 50k-20k (spider) - 10k.

20140617_153437_zpsl7mokmtx.jpg

20140617_153430_zpskexmpyan.jpg

Upgraded the steering bushings to bearings, plus a few 8x16 spares.

20140612_095742_zps58bbccf1.jpg

• Like 1

Parts

20140618_102008_zpsyeqokevk.jpg

20140625_111653_zps0b51ae7c.jpg

20140619_095443_zpsn3x6nby3.jpg

Castle Creations Monster Mamba 2 2200kv

20140609_095949_zps9e695b0d.jpg

Got some Turnigy soft case 4S 5000mah 40c batteries.

With a 15t pinion 46t spur the motor was hitting the chassis brace, so had to grind it to there was a gap.

IMG_4677_zps3f5a0a7d.jpg

I got a Team Associated RC8E radio box, which I'll admit I stole the idea from someone else while searching photos on google..

20140623_152945_zpsfe9f3c41.jpg

But where I wanted to mount it along with the mugen guards, meant the box wasn't sitting flat, so got some black 3mm perspex to raise it up.

And made it so that I could use the existing holes.

So made a template from cardboard

20140627_130902_zpsfa62015a.jpg

Then taped it on the perspex and cut it out

20140627_143225_zps97ae15a2.jpg

20140628_192348_zpsf48e4a7b.jpg

Got a some M3 thread rod to make a longer steering linkage so I could use the original ball ends, as on test run one of the M4 ends pulled off as I had to undo it so much, so all sorted now.

Need to measure up for some replacement screws for the side guards and get some more locknuts, but for now this is how it is.

About 145f running 15/46 gearing, got a 18t (came with motor) and 14t (came with conversion kit) so will try those at some point, but is pretty quick ATM.

20140628_192329_zpse4de9310.jpg

• Like 2

my mate was thinking about that st but he changed his mind i think he will be glad he did`nt know looking at the problems you had.

one of my other mates has the st pro version and his is just crazy on a 2000kv motor running 4s and he uses a 19t pinion with the 46t spur he had it out last weekend and he was back flipping over a jump with no probs and the speed in a straight line is just crazy aswell i think he will have a big smile on your face for ages after running it 

Nah it's been fine, and I like a challenge. Its only the engine, which I'll either keep as a spare or sell that was a PITA to start I'll admit, with a good starter box I'm sure would have made life a lot easier.

And the two grub screws, just glad the person didn't use permanent thread lock on all metal to metal joints...

Need to strap the phone to the it and see what the speed is with 15t on, must be 40mph at least going around the field.

Will fit the 18t pinion and see how it goes with that on.

Turns out the 18t pinion I have isn't correct, so have ordered a Mod 1.

I downloaded an speedometer to phone and strapped it to the rear wing, 32mph top it says, thought it was a bit faster TBH, will see how it goes with an 18t on...

Screenshot_2014-07-04-12-10-25_zpsqtzyc3

And made a quick wheelies video.

• Like 1

you will definately notice  a difference when you goto the 18t pinion and you`ll also be glad you taped the tyres my mate didnt and his turn into pizza cutters on half to three quarters throttle 

here is a vid we done last week to show how much difference a bigger pinions makes and most of that was quarter to half throttle 

you will definately notice  a difference when you goto the 18t pinion and you`ll also be glad you taped the tyres my mate didnt and his turn into pizza cutters on half to three quarters throttle 

here is a vid we done last week to show how much difference a bigger pinions makes and most of that was quarter to half throttle 

Oh wow, they really do balloon up, yer glad I went through the effort of doing them.

That a 4S?

I like your conversion, probably the nicest I've seen so far on an ST  :thumbsup:

Thanks mate.

That's exactly what I was going for, something that looked like it could of came out the factory looking something like that.

Just need to fine tune/alter some bits to really finish it.

Edited by bugster

Thanks lads.

Just tested with 18t pinion, is noticeably faster, but that speed app said I was going about 1mph slower.

Need to find a longer stretch as only doing it on 30 meter bit of drive.

Guess there's a delay and I have to brake before it catches up with the real speed.

Oh wow, they really do balloon up, yer glad I went through the effort of doing them.

That a 4S?

yep that was 4s power i think it was two 2s put together in that vid but he know has some proper 4s lipo`s (gens ace) but he had a little problem with his motor today so he could`nt run it today for long 

Edited by mini-z-awd

Cool, looks like it goes well.

Loving the 18t pinion, goes like stink.

Need to sort me out a better radio (using standard Hobao), am having range issues.

• 3 years later...

Hi

I own this truggy for a couple of years now and the quicrun system I had in blow up, taking all the electrics with it. 

I have got it going again with a hobbywing 150a esc and a 3670 2150kv motor, I have the 18t pin and a 13t pin. I am running the 13t atm and the motor gets very hot. With the 18t pin the old motor used to get really hot as well. I was thinking of getting a 15t or 16t pin gear as I am running this smaller motor.

Would this be ok or should I be looking at getting another 4074 2000kv motor to run in this truggy? 

I have a 7.2Ah + 5Ah 4s batteries then I also have 2x 4Ah 5s batteries. 

I run a lot on grass field so it's flat out for quick long bursts at a time. I also have a large dirt and leaves area I run on so the car gets a lot of wheels pin too. I am not sure what to do as it gets above 90c on the motor all the time and I have to let it cool off 2-3 times during a run with the heavier 7.2Ah battery. Ideally I would like it set up so I could go flat out for a full 30mins and not overheat. 

1 minute ago, Jumper said:

Hi

I own this truggy for a couple of years now and the quicrun system I had in blow up, taking all the electrics with it. 

I have got it going again with a hobbywing 150a esc and a 3670 2150kv motor, I have the 18t pin and a 13t pin. I am running the 13t atm and the motor gets very hot. With the 18t pin the old motor used to get really hot as well. I was thinking of getting a 15t or 16t pin gear as I am running this smaller motor.

Would this be ok or should I be looking at getting another 4074 2000kv motor to run in this truggy? 

I have a 7.2Ah + 5Ah 4s batteries then I also have 2x 4Ah 5s batteries. 

I run a lot on grass field so it's flat out for quick long bursts at a time. I also have a large dirt and leaves area I run on so the car gets a lot of wheels pin too. I am not sure what to do as it gets above 90c on the motor all the time and I have to let it cool off 2-3 times during a run with the heavier 7.2Ah battery. Ideally I would like it set up so I could go flat out for a full 30mins and not overheat. 

Assuming there's nothing else wrong (seizing bearings , bad pinion / spur mesh) the easy answer is the motor's too small.  I've run a long can 36mm in 1/8 buggy, and sold it a friend who used it in a truggy but even though it was a good leopard motor it struggled in the truggy.  'standard' size for a  full fat 1/8 truggy (ie not a superlite stretched 1:10 plastic fantastic) is 4074 of max 2200kv, and that with a good motor - i run mine on 1800-2000kv usually.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Assuming there's nothing else wrong (seizing bearings , bad pinion / spur mesh) the easy answer is the motor's too small.  I've run a long can 36mm in 1/8 buggy, and sold it a friend who used it in a truggy but even though it was a good leopard motor it struggled in the truggy.  'standard' size for a  full fat 1/8 truggy (ie not a superlite stretched 1:10 plastic fantastic) is 4074 of max 2200kv, and that with a good motor - i run mine on 1800-2000kv usually.

OK thanks for the help. This motor I'm using now was just a spare I had for an xray 808 buggy I got a while ago I guess it was OK for that but this hyper St is much heavier :D

5 hours ago, Jumper said:

OK thanks for the help. This motor I'm using now was just a spare I had for an xray 808 buggy I got a while ago I guess it was OK for that but this hyper St is much heavier :D

I could only get away with a 16T on grass but I was using a 4274 2200kv. That smaller motor won't cut it.

I would actually be inclined to run a 1900kv on 5s to give a good balance of speed and run time. It was a lot better than the 2200kv with 4s was with the same 16T.

These days I only use a Truggy with a 1600kv and 6s. Still with the same 16T but slightly cooler and a lot more run time.

Edited by dazp1976

30 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

I could only get away with a 16T on grass but I was using a 4274 2200kv. That smaller motor won't cut it.

I would actually be inclined to run a 1900kv on 5s to give a good balance of speed and run time. It was a lot better than the 2200kv with 4s was with the same 16T.

These days I only use a Truggy with a 1600kv and 6s. Still with the same 16T but slightly cooler and a lot more run time.

I have ordered a 15t pin and a 4074 2000kv motor now. Hopefully that will be OK for me with 4s and 5s. I have also ordered a motor heatsink with 2 fans on which should help a bit. I may drill some holes in my shell too to keep it cool.

I see you have a couple of spare Motors in you sig. If I am not happy with the 2000kv I will consider going lower. I looked at a 4082 on ebay, but wasn't too sure about it as I hadn't read you post yet! 

7 hours ago, Jumper said:

I have ordered a 15t pin and a 4074 2000kv motor now. Hopefully that will be OK for me with 4s and 5s. I have also ordered a motor heatsink with 2 fans on which should help a bit. I may drill some holes in my shell too to keep it cool.

I see you have a couple of spare Motors in you sig. If I am not happy with the 2000kv I will consider going lower. I looked at a 4082 on ebay, but wasn't too sure about it as I hadn't read you post yet! 

1800kv and 5S is my sweet spot on that size motor, let us know how you get on.  I've a few 4082's - all leopard - and have a 2000kv on route for the MTe - it's a ten min then i'm bored kinda rig so run times don't need to be great.

17 hours ago, capri-boy said:

1800kv and 5S is my sweet spot on that size motor, let us know how you get on.  I've a few 4082's - all leopard - and have a 2000kv on route for the MTe - it's a ten min then i'm bored kinda rig so run times don't need to be great.

I will! The 15t pin came today. The motor has been posted so hopefully its not too far behind.