• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sandrail ..... time for another project!

Nitroholic

Had another minor brainwave.....

If I mount a small fuel tank at the rear on one side of the air filter...and put a radio box on the opposite side.... there is no reason not to put the steering servo right between them under the carb. I would have two long arms to operate the steering...but as they are purely push/pull .... it makes no difference at all. That would basically leave the front area completely empty apart from a throttle servo, which would really help the sandrail look. Would love to be able to make room for an Action Man sized driver :)

Made a few steps forward during the week...then a few steps back..followed by some more forward steps.

I still need to weld in some extra cross bracing, but that will wait until I have everything else sorted and I am ready to add in the top. For now, I wanted to finish the front. I had planned to have the stock brace plate fitted with some mounts either side. It would have simplified the assembly and allowed me to use the stock shock braces and tower assembly.

Trouble was.... it didn't fit!

001cage_zps40b533db.jpg

I would have to cut away the front upper tubes to let it sit down in between....and as it was too narrow, I would need to bridge in from either side to support it. So, I binned it. A cross bar across the front rails, and some extra fore/aft bracing, and I would weld in some flat plates in between for the lower shock tower braces to bolt to.

005cage_zps5013dfb6.jpg

The front pieces go forward and bolt in where the front plate mounted. It also gave me an upper mounting point for the servo saver and steering pivot. They are just tacked on for now, but I will weld them up properly now I am happy they sit right and should do the job.

006cage_zps7227074b.jpg

I have started thinking about the upper works now. I want to get that straight in my head. I have worked out how I will attach the rear bracing on both sides. That will be a cross brace under the carb with mounting points for tie-rods or plate braces running back to the original mounting points on the engine and clutch carrier.

Got a few ideas which I am working out with wire to see how it looks, but I don;t have anything I like yet. In the meantime....I need to buy a fuel tank, make up the servo mounts and source a tidy electrics box too.

• Like 1

Was way too hot and humid to get much done today, but a few positive steps forward and it's looking a lot more finished!

Step one was to properly weld all the bits I tacked into place yesterday. First, though, I had another look at yesterdays final design for the upper cage-work. It still looked good to me...so I will stick with that design. It's the best way to test whether you got it right. If it still looks OK in the morning.....

rail1_zps45452adb.jpg

And it did.

The bodywork is minimal, which works for me....with enough bracing so it won;t just fold up in a crash. The rear section links into the stock rollcage, using the same links I used for the rollcage mod. This allows me to use any exhaust and also allows most of the engine to be stripped in situ. If I need to remove the whole thing...then I just undo the bolts holding the front and rear chassis together, and with the cage unclipped at the back..it will all slide out in one piece. It's easy to build a cage that causes problems...and I have tried to avoid that. If the plastic back end is too floppy...then I can replace the rear with metal and have a more solid link.

So...having a design I liked...out with the tube bender :)

rail2_zps0da0d6d3.jpg

Still a bit of cleaning up to do ( must learn neat welding some day... )

Also welded on some tabs to attach the rear braces which will fix up the back.

rail3_zpsdcb14fa5.jpg

Left to do:

1) Servo mounts

2) Fuel tank

3) Wiring

4) Radio box

5) Fill in the rest of the cage with extra cross braces etc. to get the look!

Then drive it...see if it breaks...and if it doesn't...paint it!

welding small dia tubing with a mig is very had and you wont get it perfect , if you did want it perfect you would have to use a tig, tbh mate looks fine and paint and a grinder sorts any little imperfection out :D

Edited by Corbs10

fuel tank, small'ish 

i would look at old lawnmower ones, they came in all shapes and sized

from barrel hung, to small compact for weed strimmers.

if you want smaller of something uprightish, look at the oil reserve

/ mixing oil tanks found on 2stroke mopeds and bikes. bottom feeders usually tall slender standup like

Fuel tank is sorted :) Using the same aircraft tank I run on the Shorty. Has half the capacity of a normal Baja tank, but is 60mm x 60mm and 114mm long. As it's square section, it is easy to tuck in out of the way. Filling is by pump, but for this one...I have bought a little connector plate that will allow me to plug in without disconnecting anything.

Radio box will be courtesy of a spare Hyper one.

Now looking for some small sized toggle switches for the dashboard :)

edit: Just bought some tiny little 6A rated toggle switches. Should do the job!

Looking pretty epic to be fair! - Awesome..

How's the weight of it? quite light still or?

Also, where the back plate is as it meets the chassis, looks like it could be a weak point.  Heavy landing may see that bend you think?

The rear section has been beefed up quite a bit. The flat plates are not flat...but are U section, with thick weld fillets to beef up the sides. They are welded into the centre and cross beams at the back. This is rock solid. The cage also bolts to the 2 upper mounts the standard chassis uses with brackets. What I noticed was the rear chassis plate flexes a lot, and really needs the extra top braces to the engine. The cross bar at the back is threaded through the tabs holding the upper brace brackets, and is lined up for a direct line to the engine mount point. When it's all bolted up, it would have the same level of support as a stock chassis. On a stock baja...remove the two bracing plates either side, and you'll see what I mean!

I may add an extra centre brace from the lower chassis up to the rear cross brace though.

Weight wise, it's not too bad. A lot less weight than a full cage...but will still weigh in a bit more than a stock Baja I would guess. Once it's all there, I will pop it on the scales and see.

Ultimately....as far as strength goes, there is only one way to find out :)

• Like 1

Got the rest of the tubes welded in, and now I just need to tidy it all up a bit.

I still need to add in servo mounts etc. but I want to bolt the chassis back up before I do that so I can get everything properly lined up. I want to put the throttle/brake servo much further back than stock, which should shorten the rod needed. I also need to decide exactly where the fuel tank will sit and the radio box. I have tried a few options...just got to see what works best. I think a windscreen might be in order too :)

pictures, pictures, nag nag nag ;)

Did a lot of tidying up on the cage, and sorted out where I want everything to go ... apart from the throttle servo....which I am in two minds about.

cage7_zpsd31f9380.jpg

All the tubes were in, and I tidied up the worst of the blobby bits!

The fuel tank I am going to place centrally at the back, so it sits under the air filter. There is room to mount the hump-pack behind it in the space over the mounting bolts. A frame will drop over the 4 bolts, and the battery will be cable tied on to it. The radio tray will go up front....as will the steering servo. I will weld a strip of steel between the rails and bolt through this to fix a mount front and back. This will make a rigid mount...and protect the servo from muck from below at the same time.

cage8_zpsa21deceb.jpg

Throttle servo could go front...or back....

I would prefer back, with a short throttle linkage....but front would be easier. Just sits the servo right in the middle of nowhere.

Main thing for me is the overall stance of the thing looks how I wanted. The pullstart is unobstructed, and everything is accessable, so it should be easy to live with.

cage9_zps7185f8a4.jpg

Just got to fabricate and attach the servo mounts, rig up the battery tray, wire it all up and make the tie-rods for the rear mounts. The rear end will have a wing...and use the stock wing mounts. Paint the chassis a nice bright yellow....and I think it will look a treat :)

As far as the back goes..... less is more :)

This was the area that gave me the most trouble. I came up with lots of ideas, but things either looked horrid...or got in the way of the spur gear, the pullstart, restricted pipe choice or just plain got in the way of working on the thing.

I wasn't going to have that.

I have left the back end 100% as HPI intended, so bumpers, pipes, etc. will all fit. As will stock rear plates, shock towers etc.

The first thing you will notice if you look closely at a Baja back end, is that it's very compact .... and that if you want to run tubes around it...you can't have them symetrical because the motor is heavily offset. So...if you clear the pullstart...the other side sits over the spur gear cover. Make something that clears the spur gear cover, and it won;t fit the other side...

What Tubedigger did was to make the whole car a touch bigger, so he could build right round the motor/spur gear and have it look balanced. I wanted to do something different. I have gone for a 'sketch' back end that gives the impression of a cage with a bare minimum of tubes. Focuses the eye on the front...which is more cagey...saves weight....and gives it a fairly neutral front/rear weight distribution :)