• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

electric the way to go?

Hi all, ive recently returned to nitro after a spell away for a few years. Mta4 s28 had about 3 hours of enjoyment in nearly 2 months of owning it and had well... quite a few problems already.

Threads on the backplate that holds the dualstart pullstart system on, threads inside were shot( this was built by thunder tiger and like this outta the box!

broken bearings now have no drive to the rear wheels..

Ive thought about electric but see them as a childs toy as i had when i was a kid. But.. is the suspension etc just as strong etc as it would be on the same model but nitro engined version.

Im finding the mundane, play half hour on shelf for 3 weeks, fux n break thing a bit boring and expensive. So... turning my thoughts to electric!

Im seriously considering building something to mark a page in history... possible top speed!

Question is.... how much would it cost to build an aero dynamic bodyshell test in a wind tunnel, find a chassis capable of the speeds, motor etc etc etc all in all to buy parts customize etc how much cpuld be looking at?

Invest 2k in a brushless badger, lipos and charger, then grin from ear to ear as the madness unfolds, then, build another, because two is always better than one, and, as we know, no smoke = more poke ;)

Electric has come so far in the last few years its overtaken nitro. Ive just got back into the hobby after years out and got a 1/8th brushless buggy. They pull serious power more than most nitros. For eg the mamba monster combo peaks at 7bhp, nitro is nowhere near that

Hyper 7 brushless conversion here,the most reliable car I have,haven't used it for a year went to it the other day and it worked bang on,and I bash the hell out of it

+1 on that.. :yes: ...I did my hyper not long ago.. :yes: ....awesome buggy. :yes: ....weather nitro or bl.... :yes: ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been into RC car racing for 2 or 3 months but would say, judging from what I see at my clubs track, brushless electric 1/8th buggies and truggies are every bit as competative as their nitro counterparts.  Nothing toy like about these cars at all. I,ve watched a few head to head clashes and in expert hands I would say either could defeat the other. The great advantage of electric is that it is quiet and  usable in a greater variety of locations. I can see the attraction of nitros, their sound makes them exciting for spectators because real racing sound similar. The smell of the exhaust, the roar of the engine all add to the adrenalin rush. Oddly, when I am racing my HPI Trophy Flux Buggy I can distinguish the car noise from the others on the track. Personally I love the cleanliness and quiet of the electric and no race meeting has passed when I have not been totally exhilarated  racing her.

• Like 2

electric is better for a million or more reasons... no fuel to buy, just charge the batteries, no ar5ehole little flat head screws to go a micron out and ruin the set up, yeah ESC's are a pain in the backside from time to time but over all, they're just better... and utterly simple in comparison...

Edited by '83Junglizt

Yep electric for me too, after having a couple of nitros and finding them very problematic and a pain sometimes to be constantly tweaking them I then converted my ST into brushless and I will not look back.

Much cleaner, easier and faster in most instances.

Just buy a few packs, I have 6 packs for my ST and with breaks and a quick chat here and there it will last me a fair few hours of bashing, each of my packs were around the same price as a gallon of fuel so not to expensive.

I think Bez is the bloke to ask regarding custom aero speed machines but I think he has piled some megabucks into his, get a 1/8th brushless truggy it will blow the S28 out of the water :thumbsup:

Echo the above. Got into the hobby 2 years ago with a nitro buggy. Spent more time trying to get the bloody thing working properly, fuel issues, tuning issues, glow plugs etc etc

Converted to brushless and now is easy for a quick go, I don't need to set aside several hours. Plus, I can play in my street without winding all the neighbours up.