• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

Yes but I must say that in this MSUK are being Brilliant Heros  they have arranged a courier to pick it up and take it back to them for sorting out. Many thanks to MSUK (Dave). :thumbsup:

MSUK has always been good customer service though so you expect nothing less.

But considering what they'll make per unit, compared to what HPI will make per unit... It does make you wonder why you pay HPI prices in the final analysis.

No offense meant to anyone who's bought one by the way, I just think you shouldn't be so easy on HPI myself.

and if losi released their petrol model first, they would have lost a hell of a lit of money.

they make a good amount of profit on most cars because they put alot of R+D into them.

just my opinion.

I'm not making a judgement personally... Just think they've screwed up a bit and charge too much :lol: especially after having a play with my mates new Maverick XB today which is cheaper than both, reliable petrol engine, isn't a whole lot bigger and is more tried and tested... It could be a very very good alternative.

Again, no offense to anyone who's bought one, just my personal opinion of the whole 1/8 petrol thing.

Edited by Oh How Original

Yes but I must say that in this MSUK are being Brilliant Heros  they have arranged a courier to pick it up and take it back to them for sorting out. Many thanks to MSUK (Dave). :thumbsup:

So are you hoping for a refund or for them to break it in ?? From what Hemistorm is saying it could be you need to get your head around tuning it yourself as if they break it in and it goes wrong after that your be buggered ??..

Did you at least try a different plug or anything other than messing with the needles ?? That sounds a bit rude its not meant too i'm just trying to see if your's was the same as some others and you gave up or has it got another underlined fault not yet mentioned perhaps ?? 

• Like 1

So are you hoping for a refund or for them to break it in ?? From what Hemistorm is saying it could be you need to get your head around tuning it yourself as if they break it in and it goes wrong after that your be buggered ??..

Did you at least try a different plug or anything other than messing with the needles ?? That sounds a bit rude its not meant too i'm just trying to see if your's was the same as some others and you gave up or has it got another underlined fault not yet mentioned perhaps ?? 

First of not rude at all you are entitled to say what you want.

No I am not hoping for a refund YET I want a car that will start.

We (2other people and myself from this forum) tried all we know to get it started how can you even start to tune an engine that won`t even  fire.

I feel that this one had  another fault that was stopping fuel from getting into the engine.

Hemistorms video came out after I had sent it back had I seen it it may have given me some more things to try.

I was with him at the last attempt, and running my Octane. The only thing we didn't try was changing the plug, and I had a spare with me too (same as my Baja 5bss). 

Harvey

Yeah me and Harvey spent a good hour or so getting it running and then stalling and then running and then spluttering, Got some nice blisters from the pullstart I was trying it so much, quite frustrating but I am glad Ian is getting help from MSUK

• Like 1

to be honest,

Edited by rctruckz
  • Like 2

Rctruckz,

If you would have done your research, you would have seen the video in question, they admitted to just dojng what they usually would do with a 2 stroke and not listening to hpi.

They are all now running OK.

I agree it hasn't been the best release but your comments are a little over the top IMO.

And 2 strokes DO need running in, and can also be a PITA to tune. I agree it hasn't been as smooth as it should, but with the new information that should have been there on the day of release people are having a lot more success.

Rctruckz,

If you would have done your research, you would have seen the video in question, they admitted to just dojng what they usually would do with a 2 stroke and not listening to hpi.

They are all now running OK.

I agree it hasn't been the best release but your comments are a little over the top IMO.

And 2 strokes DO need running in, and can also be a PITA to tune. I agree it hasn't been as smooth as it should, but with the new information that should have been there on the day of release people are having a lot more success.

Unless their is a fault with the engine or you don't know at all what you're doing.... A 2 stroke isn't hard to tune.

I think what his point was, the information that SHOULD have been there, it's just very very sloppy on from HPI.

For the price you pay for a premium service, you just don't seem to get premium quality anymore.

Which is a shame, because despite not liking the price of the Baja, HPI did make a good quality item and had great customer service some time ago.

I go back to what HPI make from one and what MSUK (or other shops) make from one and the fact it's the shops having to fix the problem.

Not very good.

Just to echo OHO there:-

Time spent by MSUK fixing Ian's car is money lost for MSUK that HPI should be resolving themselves. I honestly think that the carb is the issue, the actual engineering of the car is brilliant and quality is second to none, its just HPI didn't put enough emphasis on the fact it isn't like a normal petrol to tune. Other than that, it is totally different to the Losi RcTruckz as the Losi is running a nitro engine converted to petrol where HPI have delivered a brand new engine for the scale, pretty well done by them.

• Like 3

Time spent by MSUK fixing Ian's car is money lost for MSUK that HPI should be resolving themselves. I honestly think that the carb is the issue, the actual engineering of the car is brilliant and quality is second to none, its just HPI didn't put enough emphasis on the fact it isn't like a normal petrol to tune. Other than that, it is totally different to the Losi RcTruckz as the Losi is running a nitro engine converted to petrol where HPI have delivered a brand new engine for the scale, pretty well done by them.

I agree, I think from the look of it and the engineering that's gone into it, it's one hell of a new thing to bring out.

I think the main problem is the level of customer service and HPI's ignorance to a problem they caused by obviously not testing it enough.

Or they should have given it to someone who's never used a petrol RC before and asked them to run it in, and only when someone like that can run it in, release it to the public... Someone working for HPI who's been doing it 10+ years and been part of the whole developement team for the engine, isn't going to have issues starting one lol.

Bit of an oversight and slightly sloppy from HPI.

Update on my Octane phone call from MSUK this evening they are having the same problem as we had with it. So it seems as though it is a specific problem to this one. Next step, they are approaching HPI with the problem on Monday morning. MSUK guy says he now has holes in his hands from pull start.

Update on my Octane phone call from MSUK this evening they are having the same problem as we had with it. So it seems as though it is a specific problem to this one. Next step, they are approaching HPI with the problem on Monday morning. MSUK guy says he now has holes in his hands from pull start.

It'll need a new pullstart as well as whatever it is that's stopping it from running! ;)

• Like 1

I totally agree, HPi have made a 1/8th scale proper petrol engine whereas the Losing is going for more of a cheaper alternative I guess by using a similar concept to nitro engines. HPI engine will win in the longer run.

Might be a blessing to get your cash back  :thumbsup:

Might be a blessing to get your cash back  :thumbsup:

As stupid as it may seem I still want an Octane. But I want one that will give me a chance of getting it going not one that is impossible to run any sense.

• Like 2

As stupid as it may seem I still want an Octane. But I want one that will give me a chance of getting it going not one that is impossible to run any sense.

I can understand that, lets hope this one performs better then and you actually get to run it  :thumbsup: wonder if they will just replace it or repair it ?? 

• Like 1

I can understand that, lets hope this one performs better then and you actually get to run it  :thumbsup: wonder if they will just replace it or repair it ?? 

Yeah thanks for that I do not mind having to play around with it to get it right but it needs to run to even make a start. Whatever we did to this one it made no difference. I don`t really mind what they do as long as I end up with something to work with :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I pre ordered my octane then kept havering the delivery date put back so when I finally got the email

From model sport saying it had been dispatched I couldn't wait.the down side was it arrived the day I went on holls so had to wait a week to give it a run.took it to my local playing field to break it in started no problem ran around at slow speed did not sound right at all to me misfiring had no power but I persisted and ran two tanks like this.the next day I tried adjusting the carb this made the model rev uncontrollably so I put carb settings back to factory as manual addition page and tried again after half a tank of fuel the model stopped never to start again.i removed the engine to find the clutch was shot and looking to the none starting problem there is no sign of a spark reading other posts and watching videos I am thinking that maybe hpi has got a problem with this build overall I was very disappointed after a long wait and a high cost I have a truck that won't run after not even been used.i have phoned modelsport who sent a courier to collect and said they would look into the problems and let me know

I pre ordered my octane then kept havering the delivery date put back so when I finally got the email

From model sport saying it had been dispatched I couldn't wait.the down side was it arrived the day I went on holls so had to wait a week to give it a run.took it to my local playing field to break it in started no problem ran around at slow speed did not sound right at all to me misfiring had no power but I persisted and ran two tanks like this.the next day I tried adjusting the carb this made the model rev uncontrollably so I put carb settings back to factory as manual addition page and tried again after half a tank of fuel the model stopped never to start again.i removed the engine to find the clutch was shot and looking to the none starting problem there is no sign of a spark reading other posts and watching videos I am thinking that maybe hpi has got a problem with this build overall I was very disappointed after a long wait and a high cost I have a truck that won't run after not even been used.i have phoned modelsport who sent a courier to collect and said they would look into the problems and let me know

Oh well that`s two they have got