• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HTF did you do THAT?

Noj

The mystery of how this happened will long remain, was it a clip by a car, or was it one small and bouncy cat leaping for something and missing. Completely?

The end result is the same: one badly broken femur above the knee, as can be seen here:

purrcyleg1_zpsf2e194e6.jpg

purrcyleg2_zps0729df3c.jpg

Pretty bad, much splintering of bone, not a nice, clean break at all....enter John, one of the vets at our local Vets4Pets, some screws, wire, a metal plate and artificial bone marrow (

i have a semi-edited quote for your cat:

Now a lot of people are going to be telling you you're crazy,
   and maybe they're right.  But the fact of the matter is:
   Bones heal.  Chicks dig scars.  And the UK has the best vet-to-pet ratio in the world. 
  • Like 3

And here he is as of this evening, looking less like he has a chicken leg :xd: ....we've put two dog cages together, one bedding area, one litter tray area...collar should be off Saturday, then a five week wait to see if the op has been successful. If anyone has been through this type of thing with a cat before, and can offer any guidance as to how to keep him amused, we'd be very grateful  :thumbsup:

purrcyleg4_zpsa6319e5a.jpg

ahh not too bad then, what the hell did it need need engine, chassis, body, interior, wheels lol

tyres and 'other parts'....thing is, the Evoque is now in the garage with a blown module (damn thing has freeview tv and wireless headphones!!) and there are no spares in the country...so...they're having to pull one from an assembly line vehicle!  :xd:

We've had various pets wearing the cone hats before, including a St Bernard! Bloody thing could barely fit through doorways! None of ours were confined to a cage though, but they didn't have such major injuries!

He'll be fine given time, cats can bounce back, and that's not a pun!

Hmm, I wonder what hardware the vet used? Hex heads maybe, what size? Do they have a supplier of quality parts that won't rust? ;)

Oh, and poor kitty, but I think the skinhead (skinass???) look suits, pulling the ladies in no time.  :whistling:

• Like 1

That's either a lucky or unlucky cat.

On the Land rover front check this from where I get my truck serviced.

This is what you have to do to a new disco when your exhaust starts to blow on the back of your engine. The quickest and simplest way to change it is to take the body off

1A397137-EF20-41E6-8164-C69A4D4E0855_zps

Right, back on topic

Stitches out, collar will be off later today. John had Purrcy walking/gave him a good examination and wants him back next week; his knee is popping in and out of the joint, which could be due to inflammation (hopefully) and will settle down, if not, then the leg is likely to be removed :(

So, no negative waves, m'kay ;)

And here he is as of this evening, looking less like he has a chicken leg :xd: ....we've put two dog cages together, one bedding area, one litter tray area...collar should be off Saturday, then a five week wait to see if the op has been successful. If anyone has been through this type of thing with a cat before, and can offer any guidance as to how to keep him amused, we'd be very grateful :thumbsup:

purrcyleg4_zpsa6319e5a.jpg

My dog tore a cruciate ligament and had a op and had to be caged for 6 weeks and kept in a confined space for 3 months. I sat by his cage stroking him all the time, it was sad to see him in that state. Hes fine now though.

My cat did the same 15 years ago ;)

I reckon it's jumped up/down and got its leg stuck behind something ;)

My cat was asleep on the window and for some reason the ironing board fell scaring it and it jumped up and landed with its leg behind the radiator and resulting in a completely snapped femur but half way up the bone :(

If it had been hit by car there would be more damage/bruising on the leg ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update time....

Purrcy was back at the vets Saturday, filled him with ketamine to make him floppy, and re x-rayed the leg.

Somehow, the little sod has managed to bend the plate 5 degrees, and it looks like a new crack has appeared...however, John is happy with progress thus far. His knee is popping in and out of joint, a further small procedure will cure this. A four legged cat is looking very hopeful :)

I will pop up a piccy of the bent plate later... Just have to keep his spirits up now.... :)

Edited by Noj
  • Like 1

Lol

He is very bored, and lets us know he is very bored. Borrowed another dog cage, so we can pop him into the dining room, or out onto the deck to change his view on life. He is, however, the cleanest we have ever known, especially his back feet, which were a proverbial muck magnet!

He will have a new house to settle in soon, if that doesn't cheer him up, nowt will!

I hope his recovery is well. When my cat rip his back claw out he had to stay in the house for a month with his collar on, he was bumping on everything. When leaving in the mornings I would have to distract him while my mum made a dash out the front door then had to distract him though a window so I could get out the back. His now made a full recovery and spends his days sleeping.

Edited by alex97

• 1 month later...

Well....he is on house rest now, as in, cages away, exercise and no high jumping...which means certain rooms are out of bounds, and we have to police his movements...

He is walking (with a limp) but runs/c!imbs stairs on three legs, tucking the poorly one up. Silly sod fell off the end of the bed this morning, caught his bad leg on the bed frame and landed hard....am now watching him closely to see how he is moving about :(

The callous on the bone is forming, the marrow is slowly growing back. Main issue is the limp, caused by his knee cap sliding over the bottom screw in the plate. When laid down with leg bent, no issue, as he straightens up, the knee cap lifts 2mm ergo he limps. John reckons in a years time (ie when the leg is fully strong) he can take the plate out, which should see the knee settle down.

Or, it won't settle properly, Purrcy won't use it enough to build muscle up, so off the leg will come.

Still a hugely stressful time tbh...Big Puss isn't happy he's up and about, so she avoids him as much as poss and growls at him frequently!

That feeling of playing God isn't nice, we have to do the best thing for Purrcy longterm tho...