• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Summit 1/10 thread

jayuk022002

I was losing interest in my ERBE, I think I'll slow it down and Summitise it! Even fit the two speed conversion?

The diffs can't handle the current set-up anyway!

Me :)

Had an idea, went with it, chemical rust involved, mesh, plasticard, tiny brass hex bolts and weathering, all done on the outside, interior done in silver, flag is a 1/6th pennant....may not survive bashing, only way to find out was to do it.

I've always fancied a summit and always managed to fight the impulse to hit the buy button but now seeing yours Noj it's making almost impossible to resist !! Top paint job fells very impressed ;)

I could just see this parked up in the background of some apocalyptic movie !!

• Like 1

Could do with a little help/ advice please,

What's the best all round way to go with a motor upgrade? Mine is stock and getting a bit tired and whines a fair bit sooooo,

Which is the recommended drill motor or should I go brushless?

I have to say, a little more speed would be nice but would rather it stay reliable if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance, gaz.

I went brushless. 2000KV sensored motor, XERun 150amp esc. Upped the gearing a little as well. Speed is slightly up on stock, much more power, and super controllable,

I went for 14v dewalt motor which gives a bit more wheel speed but stacks of torque i've ran mine on 5s.Still great for going slow with no cogging. The family does trail walks round woods and it's also perfect for that as has good runtime.

If you but one from a parts supplier remember you will have to cut out a notch on the shaft for the grub screw to do on, I got mine from kershaw designs so it was already done. I fitted mine to stock mount which requires minor fettling to fit but i think kd do a full kit now. From what i've read there's not much gain to be had going for twin dewalts and can prove more hassle than it's worth.

Edited by stretch

I'd avoid too much power through the Traxxas diffs, they just can't handle it. Either DeWalt or 1800 to 2000 kv, but limit it to 4S max.

My ERBE runs an Xerun combo, sensored 1800kv, geared high at approximately 24/62, and on 4S this produces plenty of speed. Too much speed really cos the diffs still fail far too regularly.

Just a few thoughts for ya.

Yeah, want to keep it as solid as possible....

So kerbs haw kit or brushless...hmmm, esc wise would a sc8wp work or not be enough grunt? Will only ever be 4s though....

Thanks for the help guys, mucho appreciated :good:

I reckon an SC8WP would work, just check the ratings on your motor. A lot of 1/8th motors around the 2000kv mark have a max rating of a little over 120amps, which is slightly over the continuous rating of the SC8. However you'll never sustain the max so no problems there.

However, you really want a sensored setup with the Summit - especially if you want nice and smooth low speed crawling. I don't have any recommendations for a sensored waterproof ESC unfortunately. I run a XeRun 150 which isn't waterproof, but I do have a dusty motors shroud which keeps the splashes out just fine.