• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

budget hyper 7 conversion (now with video of my choices)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321253395648

Waterproof but only 4s capable think it might be tight on your budget to get a 6s setup.

Although from what I've read a hyper on a 2200-2300kv motor with a 19t pinion should be equally as fast as nitro model.

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand combo if you want waterproof and 6s can get some bargains on here.

:) I've added them on the list would the 4s compatible only esc's be able to drag around a hyper7happily? I don't want to be disappointed. I also don't want an uncontrollable beast. If it matches the agility of the nitro (.21) maybe with a better low end punch which electric will give anyway. I'll be happy as long as the price is right

Also, is that video accurate???
2000kv on 4s???
That is rapid!

i know its a hyper 9 instead of 7, but there cant be much difference!

Edited by vibrating_cake

The 4s esc should be more than capable its the motor that pulls it along so as long as the esc can more than handle the power the motor will draw then should be fine.

I've got that esc as I'm only using 4s not had a chance to test properly yet still finishing mine but it seems to be a popular choice so not heard of any problems as long as you match it to the right motor and don't put lipos above 4s in.

With regards to the video I'm not too sure 13t pinion seems quite low but I've not had a lot of experience with gearing so I could be wrong, but although it might look fast you don't know what his temps are so could look fast but he might be cooking something there, but again I'm not an expert so could be wrong.

I would do a bit of research on this forum,have a search on here regarding the gearing and maybe start on 19t and see how you find it then maybe experiment from there if you want different speeds,but keep an eye on temps .

Yeah, i'm sure with a bit of time i can decide the pinion etc, i'm just looking up prices at the moment, i thought 13t was a bit small, but even with a 19t i'm sure there would be plenty of grunt and top end if that video is anything to go by!

If you want the option to switch up to 5s/6s at a later date, go with a 150a esc and motor that can handle 6s.

I've got a 1900kv for mine on a 18t pinion so not expecting super-rapid performance. I'm hoping 4s is going to be quick enough, if not I'll have to upgrade esc as well as batteries.

I can vouch that the combo is equally as quick as the nitro. I'm running mine on 3s and she flies! Waterproof is always good, especially if you get the servo waterproofed. That way all you have to do really is box the receiver and away you go!

Sent from my HTC one using my thumbs

Right, for now i've narrowed it down to two options on the motor+esc combo

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__42937__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_8_Brushless_Power_System_1900KV_120A_UK_Warehouse_.html

1900kv 120A

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__41133__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_8_Brushless_Power_System_2300KV_120A_UK_Warehouse_.html

or 2300kv 120A

Both in stock, the other kv ratings are on backorder etc.

Which would be better/faster running on an otherwise standard hyper 7.5 on 4s ???

The theory being if i ever upgrade, the 120A esc can go into the 1:10 buggy on a smaller motor and not break a sweat. By the look of youtube etc, either one of these seems more than enough to power a hyper 7 the same speed as the nitro once did.

So, 1900kv vs 2300kv

14.8v x 1900= 28,120 rpm   (if my numbers are right 27.82mph)

14.8v x 2300= 34,040 rpm   (if my numbers are right 33.68mph)

So its a half decent difference with the gearing set the same.

That's based on a 13T pinion 

on a 16t its 34mph and 41mph

Does the 2300 give me better or worse gearing options? I'm not sure how fast a hyper 7 would go normally in mph on nitro

The stock nitro (after a little bit of research, is coming up around the 42mph mark, so 16t on 2300kv would be the best idea? depending on motor+esc temp of course

Edited by vibrating_cake

I run the 1900kv trackstar in my son's RC8be on 4S. The motor itself is only rated for 4S, but that was fine by me as the buggy was only ever going to be for 4S use. It's got a decent amount of torque, and I found an old HW150 ESC in my parts box that drives it very nicely.

If you think you might want to swap to 6S setup later on, then this is not the motor to pick, but I found it runs quite cool on 4S.

N

I run the 1900kv trackstar in my son's RC8be on 4S. The motor itself is only rated for 4S, but that was fine by me as the buggy was only ever going to be for 4S use. It's got a decent amount of torque, and I found an old HW150 ESC in my parts box that drives it very nicely.

If you think you might want to swap to 6S setup later on, then this is not the motor to pick, but I found it runs quite cool on 4S.

N

Do you have any videos of this running so i can get an idea of speed from it?

I think i'll be only running 4s on it to be honest, if its any faster than the nitro it's too fast for a lot of situations.

that and if you crash at those speeds it'll end up costing a fair amount of cash to fix ;)

I have a 4s hyper 9 and a 6s Vorza and 100% recommend either 4s or 6s but if being sensible 4S is more useable.

My Hyper is running on a hobbywing WP SC8 and either a Turnigy 1900kv or absima thrust 2300kv motors on 19T or 20T pinion they are both quick. I'd say easily as quick as most out of the box nitros. (I don't have a speed gun sadly but used to run hyper 7 pro with WS7 engines and it's easily as quick as that used to be.)

The Vorza running on 6S on its std hpi/castle gear is a different beast and rapid, even on 4S its impressive.

I'll try and get some video later in the week, but I'd say if you get a 4s setup it will be quick and controllable, if you get a 6S setup you'll get a wheelie machine that will eat tyres !! Both are great fun :)

I have a 2000kv motor and 120a hw wp esc. Im using a 19t pinion and it is quicker than my nitro ever was. Its only on 4s. I also went with a savox 0231 servo and a dx3c (nt in pic) so its is all waterproof, was a must for me haha

4adu5a3a.jpg

Edited by Ste001

ok, i've gone for the 1900kv motor and 120a esc, with a 19T pinion and the ebay linked conversion kit.

Now i'm skint!
I just need to make up a series wire for my lipo's because they were not in stock, unless i can find some between now and then, because my conversion kit is coming from somewhere in spain so i have time

xt60 connectors methinks

• Like 2

ok, i've gone for the 1900kv motor and 120a esc, with a 19T pinion and the ebay linked conversion kit.

Now i'm skint!

I just need to make up a series wire for my lipo's because they were not in stock, unless i can find some between now and then, because my conversion kit is coming from somewhere in spain so i have time

xt60 connectors methinks

I ordered that conversion kit too :)

Paid for it Wednesday last week,still no delivery but hopefully by the end of this week.tracking no. Useless as all its said from the 9th is "in transit" !!! Lol.

Will keep my eye on this thread. I've gone for the turnigy 2000kv 150a combo. I've got everything bar the conversion kit and then I can get started with mine :)

I've gone for the turnigy 2000kv 150a combo. I've got everything bar the conversion kit and then I can get started with mine :)

Smart move. 4074SL is a good motor, and you've got more options for 4, 5 or 6S.

I ordered that conversion kit too :)

Paid for it Wednesday last week,still no delivery but hopefully by the end of this week.tracking no. Useless as all its said from the 9th is "in transit" !!! Lol.

Will keep my eye on this thread. I've gone for the turnigy 2000kv 150a combo. I've got everything bar the conversion kit and then I can get started with mine :)

I'm only on the 120A esc, although saying that the motor only wants to draw 80a so the other 40a is for burst+acceleration, hopefully it'll run cool enough to be reliable.

Oh and i got a control card too, i like the idea of the drag brake etc.

Yeah i have a tracking number for some DF-02 parts from HK, the tracking says "it arrived in the uk on the 12th"..... yeah....so..... why is it not on the car already!

I'm guessing those pesky customs are having a peek and taking their time with it.

2000kv seemed to be around about the right kv rating googling around places, we shall see how it goes!

So with the 150A esc can you run 6c batteries with that motor? Or is the motor the limiting factor? In the description of the turnigy it says 4s max?

I'll post a few pics of the conversion as and when i do it. then a vid of how quick it is.

Edit:

aha i see! you beat me to it!

Edited by vibrating_cake