• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hex wrenches too many available help?

madmo

Hi guys I've got a hex T bar set from machine mart atm but its rubbish the small hexes have rounded, so need a proper rc hex tools. (Lifetime warranty so gonna try get a refund instead of exchange)

There's quite a few on modelsport so which ones do you lot use?

Links to any similar threads would be helpful, as I coundnt find many.

Also another problem, when I built my Ansmann deuce/stoke N was it was quite hard to get some screws in so I stripped them. How can stop stripped screws (when you first screw into plastic or metal)... As I'm going to get a ss kit in summer. :)

Thanks any help appreciated

I bought these, no complaints so far and they have been used on all sorts other than RC's. Half the problem with the grub screws rounding off is that they are cheap crap screws. Also if you use threadlock on them you may need to use heat to get them out.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-9-piece-hex-plus-hexagon-key-set-ball-end/78506

arrowmax are supposed top be good as are hudy i wouldnt really bother with eds as you will be replacing tips every 6 months or so my eds 1.5mm needs replaced after that amount of time and i have hardly used in that time and dont bother with turnigy ones the grub screw in the handles sucks you can only tighten it so many times before it strips 

Right so should I go with eds or arrow max?...also can't you just use locktite then in theory the grub screw shouldnt need tightening often?

I have used EDS ones which are excellent. .... and currently have a set of Arrowmax ones which are just as good.

Which would you say is better eds or arrowmax?

I'm thinking one of these 2 which would you get?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrowmax-allen-wrenches-1.5-2.0-2.5-3.0-4.0-5.0x120mm-6-pcs/rc-car-products/40246

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/eds-racing-products-6-piece-allen-driver-set-1.5-2.0-2.5-3.0-4.0-5.0mm-/rc-car-products/29675

Thanks... or might get this as probably won't use all of the 6 piece

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/eds-racing-products-tool-set-hex-drivers-1.5;-2.0;2.5;3.0-x-45mm/rc-car-products/366466

can't you just use locktite then in theory the grub screw shouldnt need tightening often?

tried that already and no good they keep coming undone 

i would go arrowmax. i think the best ones i got were only ten quid from china and they have lasted way longer than my eds ones  

tried that already and no good they keep coming undone 

i would go arrowmax. i think the best ones i got were only ten quid from china and they have lasted way longer than my eds ones

I've just thought of something I'm sure you can get small drills specifically for screws and stuff obviously, could I not just buy the tips and put them in a drill?

I've just thought of something I'm sure you can get small drills specifically for screws and stuff obviously, could I not just buy the tips and put them in a drill?

you can buy a ryobi drill with a slow setting iam sure aldi were selling one not a ryobi but something similair but like oho has said i wouldnt use one incase you get the wrong drill speed and wreck the threads in what your putting the screw into 

I use these 11037.jpg

Decently prices, both metric and imperial sizes so I use it for both the Blackout and the Losi, so far I haven't had any problems with them at all, You can get them off eBay for around

Edited by Bane

I use EDS and Turnigy.Even though the Turnigy are cheaper they do a great job and I have not rounded a tip yet.

For small drills you can use a pin vice for plastics and soft alloys.

I use EDS and Turnigy.Even though the Turnigy are cheaper they do a great job and I have not rounded a tip yet.

For small drills you can use a pin vice for plastics and soft alloys.

Funnily enough I've used the Turnigy ones and the tips are still fine after over 12 months of use.

As people know I get through my fair share of RCs and they all get a thorough strip and check before I use them properly, I wouldn't really suggest them as someones only hex drivers though purely because Turnigy stuff can be a bit hit and miss.

Mine are fine still though.

Funnily enough I've used the Turnigy ones and the tips are still fine after over 12 months of use.

As people know I get through my fair share of RCs and they all get a thorough strip and check before I use them properly, I wouldn't really suggest them as someones only hex drivers though purely because Turnigy stuff can be a bit hit and miss.

Mine are fine still though.

To be brutally honest I prefare the Turnigy over the EDS as they are more ergonomic.One of my 1.5mm EDS snapped on the second use and another rounded after about 30 uses but the Turnigy are still going strong.I have bought everything Turnigy produced to date in the driver line and have never let me down...Sometimes it IS a name you pay for.

Just my opinion.

currently using EDS drivers

need another set so will be getting arrowmax ones at some point, reason being is they are cheaper and are the same as the EDS hex drivers, only anodized purple instead of red

To be brutally honest I prefare the Turnigy over the EDS as they are more ergonomic.One of my 1.5mm EDS snapped on the second use and another rounded after about 30 uses but the Turnigy are still going strong.I have bought everything Turnigy produced to date in the driver line and have never let me down...Sometimes it IS a name you pay for.

Just my opinion.

Absolutely I will vouch for their drivers too.

I'm actually thinking of buying more so I've got several handles.

Have had eds for a while and am slowly getting sick of them, my 1.5mm is snapped, and the revolving caps on the handles are now knackered too. Looking at Bondhus as a replacement set..

Have had eds for a while and am slowly getting sick of them, my 1.5mm is snapped, and the revolving caps on the handles are now knackered too. Looking at Bondhus as a replacement set..

What about these? They are really cheap!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Long-Shaft-Hex-driver-set-RC-Car-Plane-Heli-Allen-Key-1-5-2-2-5-3MM-/281130131417?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4174a95fd9

May be worth a shot. What I don't want is ball end, 1) because I have a set already for the MTB and 2) because they can round out weak hardware easily...