• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lego fanatics

hebby

13 hours ago, H1q said:

Sadly not - I’ve lost most of the pieces over time. 😞

When looking through, I remembered that I had two sets -  the base station and the ship.

Maybe I’ll put it up on eBay - someone might want these bits as spares lol.  

Years ago i put my fully built lego car in my shed.  When i moved i went to get it but half was totally missing,  don't have a clue what happened to it.

That’s a shame - you’d half expect it to remain complete in the shed! 
I’m sure I’ve lost lots of pieces over time to the vacuum cleaner and dustpan and brush! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H1q said:

That’s a shame - you’d half expect it to remain complete in the shed! 
I’m sure I’ve lost lots of pieces over time to the vacuum cleaner and dustpan and brush! 😂

I let my kids play with my older lego  and i think most went up the hoover lol

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Question  I have 2 new boxed kits  (technic bmw m 1000 rr 42130)  &  (ducati 42107)

What are the chances of them being worth a lot more in the future.  As I have limited space,  so just wondering if they are worth keeping.

@turok007 

Not sure if this will help but obviously once the set retires it will jump up, I think you’re looking at end of this year for the Ducati and end of 2024 for the BMW. 

Personally (thinking in percentage terms then absolute numbers) the even if the Ducati jumps up by 50pc, you’re only looking at a £30 return over the RRP. Is that worthwhile versus the challenge of keeping space for storage?

For the BMW it might make more sense, but it’s a big box…plus the extra wait for it to retire…

Check out www.brickeconomy.com too - they have an estimated trajectory of the price increases for all sets, that might help make your mind up! 

3 hours ago, H1q said:

@turok007 

Not sure if this will help but obviously once the set retires it will jump up, I think you’re looking at end of this year for the Ducati and end of 2024 for the BMW. 

Personally (thinking in percentage terms then absolute numbers) the even if the Ducati jumps up by 50pc, you’re only looking at a £30 return over the RRP. Is that worthwhile versus the challenge of keeping space for storage?

For the BMW it might make more sense, but it’s a big box…plus the extra wait for it to retire…

Check out www.brickeconomy.com too - they have an estimated trajectory of the price increases for all sets, that might help make your mind up! 

Ok thanks will take a look at that site.  Im not in need of the money,  just want to clear stuff out, I'm not going to use.  I have no clue with lego  but i remember people keeping hold of  the big millennium falcon  but then it got re released if i remember correct.

• Like 1

True that!
They’re doing another collector series X-Wing this year (after I spent quite a bit getting hold of the old version 😂). 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, H1q said:

True that!
They’re doing another collector series X-Wing this year (after I spent quite a bit getting hold of the old version 😂). 

I sort of did that the other way round  I had a tamiya car no longer sold  so sold it for more  but a couple of months later they brought it back out.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

LEGO THIEF ?

While building kits to sell, i found some bits were missing, so went on Ebay to see what i could get for pennies.  Then I remembered i had a big storage box  full of mixed lego. Finally, found it under a bed not been touched in years (a lot of dust) just to find it was half empty.  My kids are only into building a new kit then never touching it again,  so i don't have a clue what has happened.  Think I have a ghost who is into lego

• Haha 2

Lego is something that I've recently started speculating with, I'm currently comparing it's performance to gold - physical coins and bars, ETFs, and digital gold, as well as an investment fund.  It's early days still with my research, I read somewhere a while ago that Lego has constantly out preformed gold by double digits for the last 20 years.  So I'm in the process of trying to get my hands on real world figures, that include things like taxes which are always missing from articles, that tend to cherry pick figures and ignore risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grogg said:

Lego is something that I've recently started speculating with, I'm currently comparing it's performance to gold - physical coins and bars, ETFs, and digital gold, as well as an investment fund.  It's early days still with my research, I read somewhere a while ago that Lego has constantly out preformed gold by double digits for the last 20 years.  So I'm in the process of trying to get my hands on real world figures, that include things like taxes which are always missing from articles, that tend to cherry pick figures and ignore risk.

I know some people got sort of lucky with some kits. And made a lot back  But now a lot of people are putting kits away for a later date, I don't know if the return is going to be as good.    Would be good to see how many are buying just to make some money also how many are they hiding away of the same kit.  I have seen the market work by one so-called rare kit shows up and sell for a serious amount  but then loads show up trying to cash in, but they go for a lot less  as the market gets flooded.

Go to a toy swapmeet and see how much 90’s-00’s Corgi you can but at lest than new cost, everyone a certificated limited edition. Buy the sets that will get played with (petrol stations police stations and the like), broken and lost, not the technic sets carefully built and stored in their thousands!

Sovereigns are CGT exempt and cashable for near spot easily. Zero storage space too.

4 hours ago, Shergar said:

Go to a toy swapmeet and see how much 90’s-00’s Corgi you can but at lest than new cost, everyone a certificated limited edition. Buy the sets that will get played with (petrol stations police stations and the like), broken and lost, not the technic sets carefully built and stored in their thousands!

Sovereigns are CGT exempt and cashable for near spot easily. Zero storage space too.

Not all gold is CGT exempt

Legal tender gold coins minted by the Royal Mint - coins with a face value, are both VAT and CGT exempt, not just sovereigns and Britannias but also things like their Queen's Beasts and Legends of Music coins set  - just in gold not the silver or platinum versions.  Gold bars even ones minted by the Royal Mint are NOT exempt from CGT but is from VAT, and silver and platinum in all it's forms are subject to both VAT - meaning the spot price has to raise by at least 20% for you to break even, as well as CGT.

And Hatton Gardens will always give you spot or a bit more for sovereigns, they will very rarely give you collectors value, for example a gold sovereign minted in 1914 in either Pert, Melbourne, or Sydney - gold sovereigns used to be minted in most of Britain's former colonies and some of them still do it periodically and them you get what is known as ''Saudi Sovereigns'' which are 21.5ct of gold instead of 22ct, is worth quite a lot more compared to the latest year's gold sovereign.

In case anybody is wondering, half a million quid of gold, is roughly 5kg, which is roughly 160 1 ounce gold coins, an average size office brief case can easily hold 20kg of gold 1 ounce coins in  protective tubes - each tube holds roughly 35 coins, with plenty of room to spare, in fact half a million pounds in gold takes up less space than the average £20 Lego set, and less space the half a million pounds in either £50 or £20 notes.

And contrary to popular belief the amount of money you need to get into gold is a lot less than Lego, I think the cheapest Lego set is £5.99 or £6.99, you can buy a quid worth of gold at a time at spot price, you don't need to buy large amounts to get gold for spot.  Even buying physical gold be it in coins or bars unless you are buying serious weight, you will always pay a point or 2 above spot, not to mention that the most sought after Lego sets  cost as much as a half sovereign if not full sovereign - the Titanic, Eiffel Tower, AT&T, and Millennium Falcon sets both the first release and re-release all cost as much as a full gold sovereign and a half sovereign combined.

Edited by Grogg

My point was every collectable Lego set will exist - it will become rare through scarcity, only rare through desirability. Just like Meccano was for a certain generation. Top advice on the gold - I only buy at just over spot, no special coins, no attachment that way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ad456m said:

I built both of these trucks for our local exhibition in 2018. Both have an EV3 mindstorms unit for RC and line following ability. Both tractor units are the same, I based them loosely on Scania trucks.
The goose neck is pneumatics and so is the dumper. Each truck has a compressor in it too. They've sat in the loft for a while now though must get back into Lego again 

7v0XzYH.jpg

j4cVscx.jpg

dxcAsVp.jpg

Have you motorised any of them.  Back before Pompeii went bang, Lego used to be part of my school syllabus - we didn't get tested on it we just had one double period a week dedicated to it, we used to motorise everything in class, some of the cranes we built required several motors, each one responsible for controlling a different aspect of the crane - granted this was Technics and not the standard Lego sets

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 1

Yup, both have an EV3 unit, steering, power, compressor, with obstacle avoidance and remote or follow ability to some degree. I burnt out with that project and never picked it back up after the exhibition as my boy was getting bigger and taking up more time. Plus I did them both from scratch in about 3 months and was quite burnt out. 

I longed something like Lego in the curriculum when I was at school but it wasn’t added yet and they wouldn’t  have had the resources I imagine.

Edited by ad456m
Grammar

8 minutes ago, ad456m said:

Yup, both have an EV3 unit, steering, power, compressor, with obstacle avoidance and remote or follow ability to some degree. I burnt out with that project and never picked it back up after the exhibition as my boy was getting bigger and taking up more time. Plus I did them both from scratch in about 3 months and was quite burnt out. 

I longed something like Lego in the curriculum when I was at school but it wasn’t added yet and they wouldn’t  have had the resources I imagine.

It was technically Technics - which is made by and is a sub brand of Lego, that I got at school, not the traditional Lego sets.  Funnily enough, my child, who I sent to the same schools as I went to and even had a lot of the same teachers as I did, never got it at when they where at school, and they had my ''Lego teacher'' as well.

The ''kit'' we used, wasn't one you could buy off the shelves - we each got one during our weekly lesson, it was huge, and non specific, it was something like a A3 size box 10-15 trays deep with all the different blocks, axles/rods, pulleys/wheels, gears......, and the instruction booklet was not just an A3 sized book, but over 2'' thick, and contained the instructions for hundreds of things, from tractors and cars, to cranes, forklifts even bulldozers, all of which could be motorized with the Technics/Lego motors and controllers.  My parents actually tried to buy the kit, my father is a Lego fanatic and got me into it, apparently it was a kit only available to educational institutions. 

I must say, as somebody who recently, as in within the last 3 years, put hundreds of hours into researching Lego, for my speculation project to compare Lego to gold and an investment fund.  That the Lego sets available today are thousands of times better than the Lego sets that where available when I was a young child, and hundreds of times better than the Lego sets that where available when my child was a young child.  And the Technics sets available today are a millionth of the Technics sets that where available when I was a young child, and a thousandth of the Technics  sets that where available when my child was a young child, Technics has really gone downhill and to the dogs, where as the standard Lego lines have vastly improved and continue to.

• Like 1

Yeah, Lego Technic has certainly been diluted (I got my first kit 36 years ago) just shelf queen stuff really(in my eyes anyway). We always picked models on the parts they had when we were kids to help us open up our building possibilities. I absolutely love bricklink as it helped me do more than I could imagine. I have to admit if I never got back into Lego I wouldn’t have got back into RC. I did Lego for a few years and found it limiting and decided diving back into RC would have more entertainment.

There was some cast off bits from some Lego Dacta kicking about my primary school but nothing useful and no-one to teach it. I was at a country school on a Scottish island so understandable. Not much happening when I went to our Grammar school either despite me taking Tech Studies. You were very lucky to have that to get into. 

All my education barr university was overseas and public as in fee charging, I was also sent to special needs schools, classes and extra tuition due to being dyslexic and how severe it is.  My child was educated overseas except for a bit of primary school, and university which was done in the UK, and again was all public as in fee charging.

• 1 month later...