• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MSUK lifestyle change thread (ok, diet thread)

Bigjimknickers

Do you lot mind if I join in this topic, I am 5 foot 7 and 17.5 stone, my main let downs are takeaway foods mainly chip shop, Chinese, Indian and the occasional Pizza, I am not a fan of sweets, chocolate, crisps but I do like cakes even tho i try to have less than 1 portion of cake a week, I think the main problem I have is portion size and the fact the misses is a good cook, 

I have gone from having 2 sugars in tea and coffee and that helped me lose a few lbs in a couple of weeks, I bought a George Foreman so eating less shallow fried foods but I know that home made chips dont help,

I have never been slim and anything under 12 stone makes me look ill as I have quite a stocky build, I have trouble excising as I tore the ligaments in my knee a couple of years ago and I find it hard to cycle and jog,

But on a plus side the boys in work just ordered pizza for lunch and Im having sandwiches, low fat yoghourt a apple a banana and a glass of water so at least I am trying

Good luck everyone

Treat day Friday for us at work (pay day, dress down day and treat for lunch)

Treat day used to be every Friday, now it is just pay day's for me so every 4th Friday we get something for our lunch.

I have been so lazy recently, I have not been on the bike for about two weeks but from next week I have no option other than to cycle as my partner starts a new job (returning to work from maternity leave) on Monday and will be taking the car from then on....so as they say, the diet starts tomorrow!!

Decided to join my brother at my uncles gym during the week as he was coming swimming with me after at the gym I use ...gave myself some kind of strain in the gut and balls stupidity trying to lift the same as my bro who has been training for years younger than me and is MASSIVE ..so exercise has been hard this week ..only treadmill and trying to learn breast stroke for me lately

Wow, that's quite an achievement! What drove you to lose that amount?

wanted to enjoy life before it was too late

wanted to fin d a partner, gain some confidence etc tec

had medical issues that caused a lot of the weight to go on and its a struggle to get it off again due to medical reasons, but it took a year to drop eating mostly soup, used my fitness pal and basically burnt off everything i ate in the day through walking

before and after, sill battle weight daily, battle food cravings and torture myself at the gym because of it

but its still better then my life before hand

523254_313758822055256_924637695_n_zpsdd

167290_1786638349752_997974_n_zpse154e3a

• Like 1

Wow only just seen this as I have been busy sorting myself out too, last year I quit smoking and drinking, and to be fair I concur that dieting alone won't keep the weight off as I quit bread and butter and whilst it worked to a point, my weight kept fluctuating quite a lot.

This year I have made a pledge to myself to get back to a decent level of fitness and weight and am just starting to see some proper results, the biggest help I've found for me is my jawbone fit band, it's a wrist worn activity tracker and along with the jawbone up app it really helps to keep me focused and motivated to exercise and eat as healthily as possible..

When I got back to work after new years I weighed myself on our industrial scales ;) and as a 5ft 11" 42 year old I weighed in at 104kg and felt more like 142, three months later I'm 94kg and feeling close to fit thanks to alternating between days of cycling and sessions on our elliptical trainer.

Diet wise I'm hitting between 1600 and 1900 calories a day depending on what's for dinner but breakfast is always weetabix or porridge, lunch is mama noodles and 2 pieces of fruit and dinner is mostly something normal with the spuds substituted with couscous or boiled rice, I tried axing carbs too and it made me feel like crap so I keep them to a minimum and stay away from spuds and bread..

I feel happier than I have done in ages and that can only be a good thing, fresh air, good diet and exercise can work wonders.

I've set myself a target of another 10kg this year, whether or not I make it is a maybe but my workmates and me are doing a biggest loser style thing at work with weekly weigh in and a prize of a fun size chic bar for the winner ;)

• Like 1

MOT with the GP today, and not the best news...weight is up (knew that anyway), blood tests showed cholesterol up to 4.2 from 3.8, and a spike in triglycerides, which are the fats I don't need to be up...

More blood taken as a comparator, however, a wake up! More energy out and less crappy energy in

Sorry to hear that Noj, I've been naughty lately as I've pulled my back & been on painkillers the last few weeks & the doctor says never to take them on an empty stomach, wrong thing to say to a fat guy!!

I'm better now so I'm ready to get back on the scales & shift sons weight before summer, then my work really kicks off so I need to feel my best.

Last weigh in 18 stone.

Currently... (I'll edit later)

Keep it up lads!

99kg, which is closing in on 16stone.. I am 6'2, so can almost carry it, however, the heavier I am, the more the risk on the heart. Blood pressure was spot on though...go figure?!?!?

Jim, tough break fella, must have been frustrating knowing weight was going on and there was nowt you could do at the time.

Readdressing the balance for both of us! Bring on the challenge :)

• Like 1

I'm hitting the gym this week, first time since my induction! (Yikes! Gonna get a ticking off from the PT) & stArt fresh. I simply cannot watch what I eat when I'm Ill or suffering with pain, dieting goes out of the window & emotional eating comes in!

Silly I know but it ends now. I've avoided going to Gregg's today so far, I'll nip to the co op & get a small pasta lunch thing to keep me going.

Gregg's is the devil..

Gregg's IS the devil indeed....have to pass one every day when I head to the butchers, where they serve delicious bacon and sausage sarnies, and hot roast sarnies...

I am always emotional about eating, love it too much lol

2010 I looked like this ( even tho it says 2006 ha camera time and date is wrong ) at 22st :(

20a624fa70d697ac4689ac74b7bfaff5_zps197d

Then got myself Down to 15st and looked like this

8581798f298c405b61bd9897c1267dc2_zps62b3

081e7554c0ba10baf11bce482dabaad7_zps61d6

Now I'm back up to 19st and trying to loose it again for good :)

You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry ;)

Seriously tho good works. Fellas on trying to get yourselves fitter and happier, been to centerparcs this week and have clocked up about 80 miles of biking, some swimming and a game of badminton, Monday is my first weigh in since my last post, I feel like I've made progress so maybe I'll be holding a fun size choc bar aloft having beaten my workmates..

Top work Smash :)

Begun the better eating, slowly of course, don't want too much of a shock to the system! Cooked fajitas last night instead of take out, and didn't have wedges with them...had to have cheese tho :(

It's ok to have the weekend off your diet right?

I'm really good all week while I'm at work, decent lunches, no chocolate or fizzy drinks, plenty fruit, etc. but then the weekend comes and I can't stay out the biscuit cupboard.

Which is why diets don't work fella! You're undoing some of the weeks good work by binging at the weekend.

Introduce a biccy or two into the weeks food, remembering the energy in/out rule, which will hopefully stop the weekend binging (and feeling of guilt!)... Remember, YOU are in control of overweight :)

I'm not really on a diet as such, I've just stopped eating all the crap I used to eat and being a bit more careful about what I do eat. Just on a Saturday I end up stuck in the house with the kids all day and I think eating junk has become something to do rather than being driven to do by hunger or cravings. Been a funny week as well, the missus hasn't been well so I've been coming home earlier and only made it to the gym once. Should be back to normal next week.

Going to thrash by bike round the woods tomorrow to see where I stand with my fitness and to give it a good shakedown to see if it's running ok before using it to get to work. I'm pretty sure I'm heading in the right direction but Saturdays at home are my nemesis.

Well, you're aware of the nemesis, put plans in place to try and minimize the damage....

Seldom have sweet stuff in the house tbh, too great a temptation! Don't miss it now, took a long time to get used to it though.