• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Turnigy SCT owners thread (including Desert Racing buggy & Kyosho Ultima)

So, having thrashed the shell to pieces on mine, has anyone got any hints of alternative shells? Blitz shell fit? I'd rather get something a little more robust second time round.

Yeah I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried a different shell as the Turnigy one was bust the first time I used it and is now held together with tape.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So I love this 2wd truck. Takes a lot of abuse. Most stuff seems to bend rather then snap. 

Just a couple of things really. I wouldn't even bother to paint the shell, just simply keep it for some spare lexan, mine split in half after first use. Second thing is the shocks. Mine came with the metal shocks and they just simply do not let the truck handle as it should, tried different oils and springs, in the end picked up some new blitz shocks for 19£. 

But for the money the truck is brilliant. Mines got a 120a ezrun sc8 esc and brushless ezrun motor at around 5000kv (can't remember exact brought it years ago). 

Just a couple of questions for other owners to see if they have managed to tweak these areas with any success. 

1) servo saver. Mine stalls and have tried new stronger servo. Lube grease etc. Tighter and looser. But I still manage to get return slop. 

2) spur gears. Mine is slightly loose onot the shaft meaning that every other run it does a spur. Gap is too small to shim and have tried kyosho and turnigy spur to see if either is better. Still no real success. 

• 1 year later...

I have two and a half, with the two built as desert trucks and the half for spares.  I don't think the desert trucks suffer from having the bodies fall apart like the SCT.  I kept one stock and it's the one I use most and it's not too fast and so doesn't break but is fun.  2WD and bad tires equals lots of sliding about but plenty of steering lock to catch it.  I've only ever eaten a spur (I was trying to rock crawl with it!) and it was £1.20 or something for a new one.

The second was a kit version so has upgraded bits and I put a xcelorin sensored brushless setup in it, but I need to fiddle either with gearing or programming as it just doesn't pull away properly. 

4 hours ago, collective itch said:

liking that, having a hard time finding a decent shell so may convert mine also. can you remember which parts are needed?

I’ll try and dig out a list. But bumper, cage, side pods/sections on the chassis and shell. Think that’s about it. 

• Like 1

When I converted mine I needed :

Roll Cage/Roof/Window Screen Set - 1/10 Brushless 2WD Desert Racing Buggy

Rear Body Support/Frame Guard Set - A2030 And A2033

Painted Body W/Decals - 1/10 Brushless 2WD Desert Racing Buggy

Front/Rear Bumper And Skid Plates Set - A2030, A2031 And A2033

I had spare screws and bits about, but think I only needed 2 or 4 that weren't on the SCT build.  Was ~£17.  Spurs are ~£1 so buy a bunch of those at same time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2015 at 07:20, RC DAVIES said:

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can help.

The dog bones just keep jumping out all the time has anyone found a solution to this? and I have made sure the connecters are correct length etc

Thanks

Didn't realise their was a turnigy 2wd thread

I had nothing but bad experiences with a turnigy 2wd sc truck, ran with orca vx3i pro ESC, turnigy 60c batt, dynamite 7.5t motor 

Damn thing flew!! Ironically it felt superb to drive.....

Unfortunately it has a few design flaws

Read here

Pages 2-4 , there's a solution to the dog bones jumping out too

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, collective itch said:

that two of the same side?

8 hours ago, ghazghul said:

I think the left one might not take a bearing (at least not a round one)

^This. It looks like it was damaged during manufacture, either clamped in a vice incorrectly or there was a crash during the milling process. It would take way to much force to deform the material in that area to simply be transit damage.

2 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

^This. It looks like it was damaged during manufacture, either clamped in a vice incorrectly or there was a crash during the milling process. It would take way to much force to deform the material in that area to simply be transit damage.

I think that's the standard a person comes to expect from turnigy..... Everything's so cheap for a reason I suppose.

I found the rear hubs to be OK, however they sent me a pair wrong size bearings to fit them.:doh:

It’s a shame they have so many QC issues. As it’s a good Vehcile overall. But there again even at its normal retail price of around £70 there is nothing else even close for sale at the same money. A Tamiya Grasshopper costs more even. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 300bhp/ton said:

It’s a shame they have so many QC issues. As it’s a good Vehcile overall. But there again even at its normal retail price of around £70 there is nothing else even close for sale at the same money. A Tamiya Grasshopper costs more even. 

The sweet irony for me......After owning hundreds of rigs over the years.....this turnigy 2wd SCT drove like an absolute dream, one of the best 1/10 trucks I'm certain for driveability.....reliability is the key issue, closely followed by poor design, closely followed by the failure to rectify said design flaws in later versions.

I've heard the trooper (4wd) is better, but how much so I'm not sure

Imo.....keep these on a low power 2 setup and you'll be fine

1 hour ago, Fly In My Soup said:

The sweet irony for me......After owning hundreds of rigs over the years.....this turnigy 2wd SCT drove like an absolute dream, one of the best 1/10 trucks I'm certain for driveability.....reliability is the key issue, closely followed by poor design, closely followed by the failure to rectify said design flaws in later versions.

I've heard the trooper (4wd) is better, but how much so I'm not sure

Imo.....keep these on a low power 2 setup and you'll be fine

Apparently the 4WD version is physically tougher but long term has as many, if not more flaws.... From what I've read the 2WD version is preferable. I'm not planning on anymore than 2s for mine and I've already ordered some fixes for the common issues to be added during the build. 

I kinda suspect that there are problems with pretty much any vehicle ever, if you spend the time reading up on the model ;):D

To that end I personally wouldn’t worry too much about what others say and base most things on my own experience. 

Btw. I run mine on 2S as well with a Tsky 120A ESC and a Goolrc sensored 4100kv 8.5T motor. It runs very well. And the handling is very good. It also drifts and power slides lovely on loose surfaces!

Here is mine with its new stablemate. 

9854C02F-9F7D-44C2-AF27-9EBB623FBFC3.jpg

The Arrma is awesome and brutal on 3S. But if I’m honest the SCT2 handles better, has better turn in and grip rolls less.