• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bash 3 of 2014! 1st or 2nd March

Delta-9

11 members have voted

1. 1. 1st or 2nd?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • Either Date
    • Quarry
    • Oakhill

phew...............what a day !

I'm still forming the right words ! ....several pics to add...tom...dont forget my e mail..

lets look at the bash site...

flat long runs...check

huge jumps...check

bumpy jumpy stuff...check..

crawling/hill climbing ...check..

no dog poo...check

no dog walkers...check

parking nearby...check

Truck had clearly died and gone to heaven...

hilarious fun...no breakages...

Carnage...lost a drive shaft....annoying...found CVD in my tool tray so had the fix all along !

thanks for girly cakes Tom..very impressive...stakes are raised now !

fab to see Adam finally run that savage...get ready to rag it hard sir !

Yes Jari...truck loves that pit of fear !

your Thunder Tiger was epic in there..wishbones clearly win !

Impressed with the spot then?

Update...

Marder is back and started up ok. Still not clean though! I left the air filter off overnight for it all to dry out, with choke and throttle butterfly wide open. 

The mta...

Tried to tune today and went back to "factory" settings - 6 and a half turns on LSN. It was a pig to start and would only run with glow starter held on. Noticed it was peeing fuel out of the exhaust. Thought that can't be right at all...

I do remember a thread on rctech saying the settings are wrong in the manual. So thought... "what if they meant 6 half turns out" not "6 and a half turns out..."... so set it to effectively 3 turns out, which was flush with the barrel of the carb.

and...

it  started first time easily and sat there idling like Adam's savage on break in! :) Yay, nitro is my friend again!  ran a tank through it, up and down the street and it was still only 60C at the end. 

Helps explain why it was cutting out on full throttle - I had the HSN much too lean to compensate for the far too rich LSN. Then when warm at full pelt it was getting fuel starvation and cutting out.

Googled since, and it seems there was a misprint in the manual. The settings for the ST-1 RTR (same engine) are marked as 3.5 turns out on LSN, and schumacher havoc (same engine) as 0,4 mm out from the barrel of carb. my 6.5 turns was more like 1-1.5mm out. Far, far too rich.

I stand a chance of getting a decent tune on it now...

I thought 6 and a half turns sounded like a lot.

Amazing that it even worked at all!

That's a pretty infuriating typo !!! DOOHHHH!!!

Mystery over - should run like a peach now! I would whack in a new glow plug once you have the tune nearer where you want it. When running a very rich tune on breakin they always recommend a new plug afterwards - the fuel fouls the plug! Good plugs are important - I have always sworn my Mccoy Plugs - Hotter plugs for cold weather (like now), colder plugs for Warmer weather (maybe never!)

Remember that one too ASTTCK ! And don't forget to set your piston to the bottom position when done running (remember to take the plug out - observe from the top when the piston is at the bottom - then mark the flywheel with a reference line so you know where the bottom is without having to open the top of the engine all the time)

And while I am on one - My favorite fuel is Byrons 25% ! Very consistent - once you have settled on a brand you are happy with - stick with it. - You can buy it over the counter at 308 hobbies on the Archway road.

Thanks for the Vids Delta9!!! Have we got some video practice to do .

Ok guys, all the videos are up now. I am still learning to edit so they aren't flashy, perhaps a 3d title n all next time. I have dropped some random tracks from my music collection on there to spice things up a bit. I think the jazz is a nice juxtaposition. Comments welcome...

Ok guys, all the videos are up now. I am still learning to edit so they aren't flashy, perhaps a 3d title n all next time. I have dropped some random tracks from my music collection on there to spice things up a bit. I think the jazz is a nice juxtaposition. Comments welcome...

good effort getting them up. only watched 1 and 4 so far. I like the classical overlay to the nitro... :)

can't believe we took so much video - 45 minutes with Richard's too?

Yeah must be about that. It's a pain to get them up quickly, seems to take ages to encode, about 30mins for 10 mins footage and then uploading them is the same. Ah well. Should have more next time, going to get a hatcam going I think. 

I thought 6 and a half turns sounded like a lot.

Amazing that it even worked at all!

That's a pretty infuriating typo !!! DOOHHHH!!!

Mystery over - should run like a peach now! I would whack in a new glow plug once you have the tune nearer where you want it. When running a very rich tune on breakin they always recommend a new plug afterwards - the fuel fouls the plug! Good plugs are important - I have always sworn my Mccoy Plugs - Hotter plugs for cold weather (like now), colder plugs for Warmer weather (maybe never!)

Remember that one too ASTTCK ! And don't forget to set your piston to the bottom position when done running (remember to take the plug out - observe from the top when the piston is at the bottom - then mark the flywheel with a reference line so you know where the bottom is without having to open the top of the engine all the time)

And while I am on one - My favorite fuel is Byrons 25% ! Very consistent - once you have settled on a brand you are happy with - stick with it. - You can buy it over the counter at 308 hobbies on the Archway road.

it was like a transformed truck this evening. Makes me trust it again. Should be a lot easier to get it running. I've clearly been struggling to start it, and it only reliable when warm, and then overcompensating on the HSN. Makes me want to fix the pull start - as it will actually be worth using it! :) unsurprisingly it was pulling properly too - quick and exciting rather than sluggish and "off". Might be able to run with the shell on! ;)

I've been using OS8 plugs and Optifuel RTR. Though I have optifuel race next. Nearly finished the first gallon. so the engine has had 1 litre of 20% on break in, then 5 litres of optifuel RTR only.

it was somehow quieter with the better LSN setting too. No idea why.

oh and I have been regular in putting it to bottom dead centre before putting away, and after run down the glow plug hole, and occasionally in the carb.

of course what it really needs is a clean. It'll have to wait for that.

perhaps I should just cover the electrics, spray it in Muc Off, and then leave it outside for tonight's rain to wash it clean...

more time on the hill next time and then you'll break something ;) Lots of tumbles and time on its roof, but seemed to survive.

Got to be a good place to bring the unimog in your sig if you still have it? Don't need speed to have fun on that hill.. that's got to be a good scale/crawler type challenge?

I still have the unimog Jari, its in preparation stage though. you know upgrading parts on it and doing a few mods, yeah its not exactly a crawler type, CC01 cross country chassis, need to spray the shell also. once thats done I will be bringing it to the future quarry bashes. It will be fun driving that thing in uphill and in few muddy waters down there. I've got to waterproof it now!! for that site anyway  :xd:

hmmm not as naughty as I thought... as it appears to me but i don't know the history here. 

Is there nothing you can do Nitroholic to unban the maker of the best home made cupcakes I have had? (don't let my mother see this!)

hmmm not as naughty as I thought... as it appears to me but i don't know the history here. 

Is there nothing you can do Nitroholic to unban the maker of the best home made cupcakes I have had? (don't let my mother see this!)

Indeed you don't know the history.... but suffice to say, he was given enough opportunity to pull his horns in and chose not to. And no....there is nothing I can do to unban. It's permanent.

A new email address and new login, and our newest member is Christina.

Welcome Christina!

Or is big brother aware of such ploys?